AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am referring to brick and mortar-this is next to impossible ,but really it is tough to find these on the net as well. At least for 400 bucks and under.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well if you can believe FutureShop in Canada at least the 633H has been discontinued. I ended up picking up the floor model 633 for $399 CAD (about $340 USD). I have been contemplating getting a DVD recorder for some time and when I had finally decided on the 633 I had a bugger of a time finding one locally, which is why I settled on the floor model.

The nice thing about the floor model is FS does not have them connected up, so basically it is a fingerprint issue and no usage issue with the unit.

Alt

·
Registered
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonGuy
I am referring to brick and mortar-this is next to impossible ,but really it is tough to find these on the net as well. At least for 400 bucks and under.
Only store I can find a Pioneer is Walmart, the 531.

But this goes for other DVD recorders as well. At Best Buy B&M, they don't have any $400+ units. Best Buy has the Panny ES20, ES40 (the VCR/DVD combo), but NOT the EH50. I guess the expensive models rot on the shelf too long.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm having the same problem.

HiFiBuys (Tweeter) told me they stopped selling the entire breed of dvd/hdd recorders, and pretty much are focused on high-end monitors.

The other retailers aren't stocking them in their brick-and-mortar stores most likely to avoid excess inventory in their system, and instead order-based shipping the limited inventory from their central distribution centers. Reasons for not stocking include the commoditization of this type of electronics makes them not profitable (the fact that they're sold at Wal*Mart confirms this), and the specific models are at the end of their lifecycle in the market.

I'm still trying to replace my broken DVR510H-S!!!

Where can I find info on the replacements for the DVR533H-S?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Vanns, One Call, B&H, Crutchfield, eCost... these are all really good online retailers that stock many brands and models of DVD recorders. Sometimes CC and BB (even Wal Mart) online has a better selection than their stores do.

·
Banned
2,239 Posts
We have Ultimate Electronics, and American Furniture and Electronics around me which carry the Pioneer 533/633, the Sony 715, the Toshiba XS34 and the Panasonic EH50, all in stock.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I personally check pricegrabber.com because the retailers that they list having the models that you're looking for include any TAX and SHIPPING charges to where it's being delivered to, plus it has star ratings and reviews of the retailers that are listed, this site has helped me saved alot of $ through they years more than the retail stores IMHO :p

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I too have only seen the 531 at Walmart, and not all Walmarts have them.

I don't know how Pioneer (or Toshiba) sell their machines to people who go to BB, CC, & Fry's. You would think they are missing a sizeable market. While I might find some model at these retailers, they are not the popular ones being discussed on this forum, & typically have a VCR built in. Only Panasonic seems widespread.

You see Pioneer Plasma TVs all over the place, but I don't know why not their DVD recorders.

Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99
I don't know how Pioneer (or Toshiba) sell their machines to people who go to BB, CC, & Fry's. You would think they are missing a sizeable market.

You see Pioneer Plasma TVs all over the place, but I don't know why not their DVD recorders.

Mike
One thing that a sales guy at BB told me was that they got tired of people returning these $400 + unit within 30 days.

People are less likely to return Tv's to B&M stores and also they are less likely to to return these DVD recorder/hd units when they buy them online, because of s&h charges and sometimes extra charges such as restocking fees.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.