AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know why there are 2 firewire ports on the back of my replaytv 2000 unit? (i assume they are firewire ports, i could be wrong). To the best of my knowledge there is no way to access them with the standard software.... is there a hack? Can I actually offload my saved shows to another media device with them? (I have no ethernet or USB, thus I am limited in my output ports)

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Gee, what rock have you been living under? Even in the three months you've been a member of this forum there had to be at least a dozen mentions of this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the friendly response. I dont read this forum regularly and will admit that I did not do a full search on the topic to find previous mentions...my apologies if this somehow wasted your time.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Funny that you mention you have no USB on your replay... for the most part the 5k users don't either. 5k owner have their own useless usb jacks that do nothing.

·
Registered
203 Posts
All of the replays have useless ports of some name or another :)

Maybe the next one will have a slot for smart cards that we can ignore for a few years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What in the world is up with including "useless ports"? Seems like a continued economic waste on the design/manufacturing side...

So should I assume that there is no "hack" that will enable the ports?

Thanks for the info guys. Sorry if this was redundant...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discontinued plans account for most of unused ports. ReplayTV has gone through 3 different companies with different ideas on what should be included.

There are no known hacks for any of these unused ports as far as I am aware.

Redundancy in the tech world is well respected - don't worry about it.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by atlmaybeuser
What in the world is up with including "useless ports"? Seems like a continued economic waste on the design/manufacturing side...

So should I assume that there is no "hack" that will enable the ports?

Thanks for the info guys. Sorry if this was redundant...
Nope, no hack to make them work. Sorry. It does seem a little crazy that they keep building inactive ports to the units.

Best,

Matthew in CO.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Well, if the 5500 still has the USB port, then they're probably still planning to activate it at some point. If they ever do is an entirely different thing. :)

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JimWCB
Well, if the 5500 still has the USB port, then they're probably still planning to activate it at some point. If they ever do is an entirely different thing. :)
Unless they are simply using overstock on the hardware. As I understand it, the hardware between the 5xxx and the 55xx is identical.

Which begs the question, what would happen if you were to put a 5xxx image on a 55xx machine...

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
I'd like someone to take the 5500 image and compare it to a 5000 image..... I think they are the same thing, with code to examine the hardware and enable/disable CA/IVS as 'needed'.

I believe the hardware's the same, also, except for whatever firmware that IDs it as a 5000 or 5500 unit. (The S/N, perhaps).

Answering Creech's question: I think it would work fine on either box with the 'proper' functions on or off.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Funny, my 2004 has two firewire ports too! OMG!

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Creech
Which begs the question, what would happen if you were to put a 5xxx image on a 55xx machine...
Probably the same thing that happened if you put a 3000 image on a ShowStopper (before the software treated macrovision the same on both platforms). The first time it net connected it downloaded the ShowStopper software again.

My guess is the 5500 has something in the firmware to ID it as a 5500. But they could go so far as to make it so that a 5000 image wouldn't even boot up on it.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Code:
Code:
If sModel = "55xx" Then bCA = False
Else bCA = True
It's probably something that simple.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.