AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a brand new Panny Plasma 85U. This is my first HDTV coming from a 32" Tube. I have ran it for some couple hundred hours and am past the recommended break in time. I am waiting for DVE to arrive that I ordered yesterday to help in calibrating.

My question is why are there 5 "mode" settings for this?
  • Standard
  • Vivid
  • Game
  • Cinema
  • Custom

I can see maybe 2, being realistic, but 5? Also, you can change each of the settings, so doesn't that mean they are all basically "Custom"? When I get DVE, which "mode" should I change? Or should I just jack with Custom only?

How do you fine folks manage or use the various settings?

Thanks guys,

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Choice ... choice ... why are there more than 2 types of cars on the market?

Some selections limit the stuff you can select ... geared for bright sun lit rooms ...

Cinema is a good place to start if you want accuracy. And since when is accuracy a goal when selling TVs. It's about selling them ... not about making them look right.

regards

·
Registered
3,351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregf70 /forum/post/15423112

I can see maybe 2, being realistic, but 5? Also, you can change each of the settings, so doesn't that mean they are all basically "Custom"? When I get DVE, which "mode" should I change? Or should I just jack with Custom only?

Even though you can change some settings to customize each of the presets there are often other parameters associated with each preset that can only be changed in the service mode of the TV.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, when I calibrate my plasma with DVE, would it best to calibrate each setting per DVE guidelines and my best judgement?

Calibrate color, contrast and brightness etc.. for standard, vivid, cinema, game and custom?

I am all for choices, but coming from a 32" tube, I really didn't have that and everything I watched was the same and I didn't know there was anything better than my one setting. This opens a whole new world to me and now I am just trying to wrap my mind around what people consider "best practice" in calibration/settings.

Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
As Michael pointed out, Cinema is usually a good place to start since it is probably the most accurate to start with.

The unfortunate truth is that once you start down the calibration path it can be a long road if you are an enthusiast. You'll start with user mode settings and DVE and then progress to the service menu, eventually add a colorimeter and S/W, etc......

·
Registered
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregf70 /forum/post/15424074

So, when I calibrate my plasma with DVE, would it best to calibrate each setting per DVE guidelines and my best judgement?

Calibrate color, contrast and brightness etc.. for standard, vivid, cinema, game and custom?

I am all for choices, but coming from a 32" tube, I really didn't have that and everything I watched was the same and I didn't know there was anything better than my one setting. This opens a whole new world to me and now I am just trying to wrap my mind around what people consider "best practice" in calibration/settings.

Thanks for the input guys.

Your best bet is to pick 1 setting and calibrate that to be correct, then just always use it.

The settings are merely for marketing. Sales demos, ect... The only real argument for going to 2 settings is one for daytime viewing and one for nightime viewing. Beyond that what you are seeing is just pure fluff.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sotti,

Being new to this, this is what I kind of thought as well, I think the previous poster are probably correct as each mode has it's merits, but for the most part you would generally want just 2 settings maybe, or even 3. One for day, one for night (w/ variation in brightness and contrast only pretty much) and the 3rd maybe just add more vividness or saturation, for games or other uses when needed.

As jvincent pointed out, I do not know how far down the "rabbit hole" will go with this. To be honest, I am pretty darn happy with the picture now, that is with only using some of the users settings from this forum, but I just want to see how far I can get with DVE. I think that will be the end of it for me. If I ever want more than that, I would probably go ISF and be TOTALLY done with it after that.

Anyways, thanks guys for the help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti /forum/post/15424410

Your best bet is to pick 1 setting and calibrate that to be correct, then just always use it.

The settings are merely for marketing. Sales demos, ect... The only real argument for going to 2 settings is one for daytime viewing and one for nightime viewing. Beyond that what you are seeing is just pure fluff.

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts
Don't forget a 3rd setting for D55 for all of those B&W movies everyone watches...

In all seriousness that is a possibility for people who really do enjoy older movies.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregf70 /forum/post/15424651

the 3rd maybe just add more vividness or saturation, for games or other uses when needed.

There really shouldn't be needed. basically we have properly mastered material that will all work with a proper calibration and improperly mastered material which is scatter shot versus what it should look like.

So like the above poster mentioned a valid 3rd profile could be for D55 B&W material, but pumping up saturation or sharpness is generally not recommend.

·
Premium Member
10,568 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregf70 /forum/post/15423112

So I have a brand new Panny Plasma 85U.

My question is why are there 5 "mode" settings for this?

Have you checked out the PZ80/85 threads?

It's worse than five, there are also three color temperatures and black offset. 30 combinations without even using the service menu.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.