AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
141 - 148 of 148 Posts
It's hard to say. You have this great piece of machinery sitting waiting for something to play on it. Something to bring your family and friends in... Something they don't find old and dated...

It's not just the videophile in us we tend to want to satisfy...

i think that people who spend money on hardware expect to be able to just go nuts with hd dvd movies.

why not?

the abscence of this is why some are starting to whine. the bd catalog( existing and upcoming releases) is better than the hd dvd right now. that is a simple statement of fact. no need to argue otherwise. for now the wide selection is in bd formatted content. people who are whining are only just wishing they could somehow see a similar range of choices for hd dvd. its like going to the big box store as opposed to mom & pop because of the wide range of choice. no two enthusiat will have the same shopping list of movies all of the time. that is why the wider the selection the better. don't matter what any particular person thinks hd dvd will need to work harder to satisfy the market's need for a wide selection of content. if some one person concludes that the bd list is not so great, they'd only take one disc from the long list of titles that is meaningless if on the other hand hd dvd does not have a similar long list of alternative hd title announcements. hundreds and then thousands, known as the market, will seek out the hd content that they have now come to enjoy. their choices from the available selections for content will be independent of some other individual(s) support/ interest of this or that format. hd dvd may be caught up in something else, like apple computer was for a long time. the pace of new hd dvd formatted movie announcements will pck up when those guys open the flood gates. since i do have a brand new toshiba xa2 i hope they start cranking out more hd dvd movies real soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl b /forum/post/0

i think that people who spend money on hardware expect to be able to just go nuts with hd dvd movies.

why not?

the abscence of this is why some are starting to whine. the bd catalog( existing and upcoming releases) is better than the hd dvd right now. that is a simple statement of fact. no need to argue otherwise. for now the wide selection is in bd formatted content.

Well...., not quite. First, its us earliest adopters that want to go nuts with movies, and have already bought up all we want from the current titles-newbies to HD DVD have a good selection to pick from. The reason I haven't bought into BR, isn't loyalty to HD, its due to the fact that the BR list (out and coming) only has a couple of exclusive titles I would buy. To say the BR list is better is extremely questionable at best. At the moment it is bigger, that is all.

I'll admit, that I've done my share of whining, but I will not buy a pretty picture of a crappy movie, or I would have bought into BR a while ago. I want quality over quantity. Actually, I want a large quantity of high quality movies-that's why I'm a big fan of Universal. I can wait for them to make an announcement.

Time to learn patience.

J

I disagree that this thread shows there are more BD supporters than HD-DVD supporters. Just look at the numbers. On any given day at any given hour there are MORE people viewing the HD-DVD player and software threads than the equivalent BD threads almost by a factor of 2! The numbers suggest that there are almost twice as many supporters of HD-DVD over BD on the AVSforum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J /forum/post/0

Well...., not quite. First, its us earliest adopters that want to go nuts with movies, and have already bought up all we want from the current titles-newbies to HD DVD have a good selection to pick from. The reason I haven't bought into BR, isn't loyalty to HD, its due to the fact that the BR list (out and coming) only has a couple of exclusive titles I would buy. To say the BR list is better is extremely questionable at best. At the moment it is bigger, that is all.

I'll admit, that I've done my share of whining, but I will not buy a pretty picture of a crappy movie, or I would have bought into BR a while ago. I want quality over quantity. Actually, I want a large quantity of high quality movies-that's why I'm a big fan of Universal. I can wait for them to make an announcement.

Time to learn patience.

J

I agree with Big J, and I support both formats. Blu-Ray list is bigger, not better. I'd take "The Jerk" and "The Game" over 95% of the upcoming Blu-Ray releases the next three months.

141 - 148 of 148 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.