AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
YES, I know the scores of you out there with lifetime units, who are fighting to greater maximize your investment(s); completely understandable.


BUT, you must see the handwriting on the wall. DNNA's FUTURE is surely OUR PRESENT. Why continue to grovel at the feet of those who truly don't give a damn, when we have all that we need here, thanks to the hard work of our resident saviours.


The hit ($$) IS coming, one way or another. I would much rather accept it on my terms, than theirs.


WiRNS 3.0 and SD at $20.00 per year, plus a reasonable contribution to the cause, is a pittance.


Then again, that's just my opinion; I could be wrong!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtb3 /forum/post/20768085


YES, I know the scores of you out there with lifetime units, who are fighting to greater maximize your investment(s); completely understandable.


BUT, you must see the handwriting on the wall. DNNA's FUTURE is surely OUR PRESENT. Why continue to grovel at the feet of those who truly don't give a damn, when we have all that we need here, thanks to the hard work of our resident saviours.


The hit ($$) IS coming, one way or another. I would much rather accept it on my terms, than theirs.


WiRNS 3.0 and SD at $20.00 per year, plus a reasonable contribution to the cause, is a pittance.


Then again, that's just my opinion; I could be wrong!

Then I would want LaHo. WiRNS is my last resort because I would have to redo my home network which I would rather not do, but might have to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
For monthly customers, it's a no brainer to transition to a cheaper alternative once they stop providing their currently temporary free guide service.

___________________________


For lifetime customers, there's little reason to go to SD as long as DNNA continues to provide free guide. We can always transition away when DNNA ultimately decides to close up shop.


I was only hoping for another two or three years more of use out of my DVR anyways. I expect they'll have lost a majority of their customers by then too and i'll have found some other inexpensive alternative to use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
725 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck9 /forum/post/20768181


For lifetime customers, there's little reason to go to SD as long as DNNA continues to provide free guide. We can always transition away when DNNA ultimately decides to close up shop.

I have a lifetime unit and I am afraid that DNNA will "broke it" somehow and I will not be able to use SD anymore. Since I have also a "monthly" unit that I will use with SD, I don't see why I would go back to DNNA.


I appreciate the fact that they relase the keys and I am happy with this arrangement.


PS: My router can mix Automatic DHCP with static IP's, so I set the WiRNS server and the two ReplayTV as static and the rest of the network is like it was before...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwinter2 /forum/post/20768140


WiRNS is my last resort because I would have to redo my home network which I would rather not do, but might have to.

Understandable! But, if you feel that you might have to anyway, then why not tackle it now before the next deadline or interruption. From what we've read recently, anything could happen at any time. Why exist under an umbrella of such uncertainty?


We're supposed to be enjoying this medium; not being held hostage by it.


Curt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
The only reason I see to stay with the mothership right now is to minimize the risk of missing shows if you're away for more than 12 days and your WiRNS pc needs a reboot. I split my time between two homes at three month intervals so the mothership has a benefit to me. If I stayed in one place though, as 99.9% do, I'd stick with WiRNS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,162 Posts
"Why are we still bothering with the Mothership?"


Free bagels and donuts on fridays?



(just tossing it out there)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
I don't have any machines that run Windows on a regular basis, and would rather not start, and a Linux-based server is a lot of hassle to set up. Thus, just like the non-techies, the mothership is an easy convenient solution.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtb3 /forum/post/20768085


WiRNS 3.0 and SD at $20.00 per year, plus a reasonable contribution to the cause, is a pittance.

Then again, that's just my opinion; I could be wrong!

We still use one lifetime 5040 to record from a satellite STB, I switched it to WiRNS and Schedules Direct last week before the guide reinstatement announcement.

I have no plans to go back to the mothership- mainly because I just don't trust DNNA at this point. I've always ran the Replay on a static IP address with DHCP disabled. It's DNS addresses now point to our WiRNS computer, my router also has DNSMasq which will intercept any rogue attempts by the Replay trying to contact any replay domain.


For $20/year if you have a network enabled ReplayTV and a Windows computer there's no reason not to wean away from the mothership before they poison the milk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritan1 /forum/post/20768724


Because I have a Mac, that's why.

Macs can run Windows, and WiRNS can use a virtual machine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by g501 /forum/post/20769078


I don't have any machines that run Windows on a regular basis, and would rather not start, and a Linux-based server is a lot of hassle to set up. Thus, just like the non-techies, the mothership is an easy convenient solution.

My server machine is running the latest version of Ubuntu (64-bit), with Vitrual Box and a VM (with its own IP) running Windows XP and WiRNS. Curently, that's the only thing XP is there for.


I control WiRNS trrough a laptop, running Ubuntu and Firefox.


The router is a Linksys WRT54GS running Tomato 1.28. It's set to provide dynamic DHCP to all devices. I added a configuration line for dnsmasq to redirect all subdomains of replaytv.net to WiRNS and a filter to block all internet access from the Replays themselves.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob /forum/post/20769394


We still use one lifetime 5040 to record from a satellite STB, I switched it to WiRNS and Schedules Direct last week before the guide reinstatement announcement.

I have no plans to go back to the mothership- mainly because I just don't trust DNNA at this point. I've always ran the Replay on a static IP address with DHCP disabled. It's DNS addresses now point to our WiRNS computer, my router also has DNSMasq which will intercept any rogue attempts by the Replay trying to contact any replay domain.


For $20/year if you have a network enabled ReplayTV and a Windows computer there's no reason not to wean away from the mothership before they poison the milk.

I have dnsmasq and added the following line to the dnsmasq configuration:


address=/. replaytv.net/192.168.1.80


where the IP at the end is the IP of the system running WiRNS. This causes all attempts to access the mothership to be sent to WiRNS. It eliminates the need to use static addressing on the Replays, and makes reimaging much easier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlloyd /forum/post/20769511


I have dnsmasq and added the following line to the dnsmasq configuration:


address=/. replaytv.net/192.168.1.80


where the IP at the end is the IP of the system running WiRNS. This causes all attempts to access the mothership to be sent to WiRNS. It eliminates the need to use static addressing on the Replays, and makes reimaging much easier.

Wait, really? You have the RTVs setup as dynamic? Can you message me and tell me more since I would love to NOT have to change routers to one with reservations if I do not have to (and RTVs as static would be the only reason to change due to the BUG).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwinter2 /forum/post/20769569


Wait, really? You have the RTVs setup as dynamic? Can you message me and tell me more since I would love to NOT have to change routers to one with reservations if I do not have to (and RTVs as static would be the only reason to change due to the BUG).

I use address reservation. That is a part of DHCP.

The Replays are set to 'automatic', which makes them use this address.

If you used 'automatic' with no address reservation, you can be bitten by the DHCP bug.


BTW, there seems to be no standard name for it. 'static DHCP' is what I first heard and what my router firmware calls it. Some people say 'address reservation'. I've even heard 'static lease'.


Note that setting the Replay to static DOES NOT prevent the DHCP bug. The Replay gets a dynamic IP anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlloyd /forum/post/20769625


I use address reservation. That is a part of DHCP.

The Replays are set to 'automatic', which makes them use this address.

If you used 'automatic' with no address reservation, you can be bitten by the DHCP bug.


BTW, there seems to be no standard name for it. 'static DHCP' is what I first heard and what my router firmware calls it. Some people say 'address reservation'. I've even heard 'static lease'.


Note that setting the Replay to static DOES NOT prevent the DHCP bug. The Replay gets a dynamic IP anyway.

I am very familiar with the bug and that setting anything static on the RTV does not prevent it getting a second dynamic address.


So what you are saying is that you are pushing the static IPs to the RTVs instead of the RTVs pulling them (which is what has to be done when there is no reservation system). Address reservation and DHCP are different to me since DHCP usually has a set range. If you say you are using a DHCP router reservation system (IPs within the DHCP range) to make your solution work, then I would have to change routers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
450 Posts
I use static ip settings on my 3 replays and have DHCP turned on in my router. What bug am I suppose to see? What does it do to the replays?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwinter2 /forum/post/20769726


I am very familiar with the bug and that setting anything static on the RTV does not prevent it getting a second dynamic address.


So what you are saying is that you are pushing the static IPs to the RTVs instead of the RTVs pulling them (which is what has to be done when there is no reservation system). Address reservation and DHCP are different to me since DHCP usually has a set range. If you say you are using a DHCP router reservation system (IPs within the DHCP range) to make your solution work, then I would have to change routers.

I didn't equate 'address reservation' with 'DHCP'. I equated 'address reservation' with 'static DHCP (words are important).


As to the pushing and pulling. What I'm doing is pulling (set 'automatic' on Replays) BUT with the source (router) providing SPECIFIED information.
 
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top