AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What the topic says...

Is there any hit to quality in comparison to other brands when it comes to PQ?

Is there something that their TV's do not do?

Or is it just because it's not Sony, Panasonic, etc. that it is cheaper?

·
Registered
757 Posts
They are cheaper because you don't get any reasonable customer service, the remote controls are sporatic if they work at all, you get bands of light and dark areas on the LCD screens, and you frequently have to unplug them to resolve a pervasive "lock-up" issue where the monitor freezes and fails to respond.

I have waited for about 6 months for these problems to be rectified and am tired of waiting. I am going to buy a Samsung or Sony this weekend. Thank heavens we have the AVS Forum to bring issues such as these out before we take the plunge and make our purchases.

·
Banned
478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpanogos /forum/post/0

They are cheaper because you don't get any reasonable customer service, the remote controls are sporatic if they work at all, you get bands of light and dark areas on the LCD screens, and you frequently have to unplug them to resolve a pervasive "lock-up" issue where the monitor freezes and fails to respond.

I have waited for about 6 months for these problems to be rectified and am tired of waiting. I am going to buy a Samsung or Sony this weekend. Thank heavens we have the AVS Forum to bring issues such as these out before we take the plunge and make our purchases.

That is not true at all. For every couple of people who have problems with there Westy's there are 10 others who absolutley love them.

My advice is to just check the Westy threads on the model that your looking to buy. Ive been EXTREMELY happy with my W3 1080p set.

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,334 Posts

Quote:

the remote controls are sporatic if they work at all, you get bands of light and dark areas on the LCD screens, and you frequently have to unplug them to resolve a pervasive "lock-up" issue where the monitor freezes and fails to respond.

I have had none of those problems with my 37w3.

-Bill

·
Registered
2,571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousK /forum/post/0

What the topic says...

Is there any hit to quality in comparison to other brands when it comes to PQ?

Is there something that their TV's do not do?

Or is it just because it's not Sony, Panasonic, etc. that it is cheaper?

...Because whoever actually builds those displays for Westinghouse buys reference designs so they don't need to hire engineers; they buy minimum spec components from the lowest bidder; they are assembled by teenage girls in countries that have no labor or environmental laws; and they have only the barest semblance of a marketing & support organization.

...In other words, they are about the same as any of the other 3rd tier electronics mfrs.

·
Registered
903 Posts

Quote:

I'm sorry that you had problems, but please don't generalize. My Westinghouse 32w6 has been the highest quality display product I have ever owned and I'm coming from Sony and Mitsubishi displays.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I'll put the PQ of my 42 inch westy against any other 42 inch 1080P LCD. The westy will look as good or most likely better and usually be 1000-2000$ less. It's a great tv and a real bargain, don't let these trolls fool you.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Lee /forum/post/0

That is not true at all. For every couple of people who have problems with there Westy's there are 10 others who absolutley love them.

My advice is to just check the Westy threads on the model that your looking to buy. Ive been EXTREMELY happy with my W3 1080p set.

Where did you get your ten out of twelve satisfaction statistics from?. Can you provide a link to the research data that shows this.

In any case, taken your figures at face value, what you are saying is that 2 out of twelve units are defective. That seems like an unacceptable high rate of failure for consumers to accept as a reasonable purchasing risk.

·
Registered
24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv /forum/post/0

...Because whoever actually builds those displays for Westinghouse buys reference designs so they don't need to hire engineers; they buy minimum spec components from the lowest bidder; they are assembled by teenage girls in countries that have no labor or environmental laws; and they have only the barest semblance of a marketing & support organization.

...In other words, they are about the same as any of the other 3rd tier electronics mfrs.

Please don't generalize, I have had no problems whatsoever wth my LVM-42w2.

To the OP - The *real* reason I suspect many of their TVs are so much cheaper is theyare *not* TVs, they are just giant monitors. Thus, they don't have to waste a ton of money (parts, labour, QA) on NTSC/ATSC/QAM tuners 90+% of the HDTV viewing public never use anyways. (Most consumers who use HDTV do so via a digital cable or sat. box)

·
Registered
304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland /forum/post/0

Where did you get your ten out of twelve satisfaction statistics from?. Can you provide a link to the research data that shows this.

In any case, taken your figures at face value, what you are saying is that 2 out of twelve units are defective. That seems like an unacceptable high rate of failure for consumers to accept as a reasonable purchasing risk.

He makes a good point.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
C'mon guys - I hate how this forum has degenerated into little children throwing around nonsense at each other. It was a serious question and requires a serious answer.

Westinghouse is actually a licensed name (not associated with the original Westinghouse in any way). It can bring product to market cheaper than the majors as there are several factors involved.

1. They do not have the overhead.

2. They do not have the extensive product lines (one product does not have to make up for the another "loss-leader", etc.)

3. They do not have the marketing budget (they do not promote the name)

4. They do not have the cache of a market name under which to extract more funds from their customers.

5. They out-source a great deal (engineering, support, etc.) This can be a good thing or bad depending upon the outsourcing - so far I would say it has been about equal to the majors - though they get more attention being a new name which people have yet to trust.

6. They do not aim to "be the best". Their technology is not "cutting edge" as they are focused on sales - not leadership of technology.

7. They use "on-demand manufacturing" vs. a Sony or Panasonic which has to maintain a world-wide inventory control system. This can lead to shortages - which are bad, but keep costs down and more controllable. Ergo why there are no Westinghouse Discount Outlets (as there are for Sony and Panasonic).

8. They are not a Public Company - and not under the scrutiny and pressure for profits at all costs. They are essentially a "startup" and can operate as such to gain marketshare.

On the negative side.

1. They are learning - you can bet if their products become "well-accepted" that their pricing will increase.

2. There are growing pains - QC is not quite what it needs to be (regarding "lock-ups", etc.) However, remember Sony had the same problem and had to issue a massive recall. Westinghouse is trying to "field-upgrade" all units with the issue - as they have far fewer units out there, and the cost is more manageable.

3. Their products will not be as "feature-rich". You are going to buy Westinghouse due to its "value" proposition, not by comparing them against the "Best of Breed" in their category. Its a Westinghouse for $1.5k or a Sony for $4.5k - remember that last 10% is the most expensive part of any product.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Peter,

Thank you very much for centering the forum with this useful intellect. This has helped me in my search and eventual purchase.

Phil

·
Registered
47 Posts
Are there any TV repair people in here. From a different forum one person stated that they run their backlight inverter at 200% of spec, meaning that they have a higher failure rate because of this. However, he didn't say which models they did this on, etc... So take it with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts

Quote:

He didn't say the units are "defective". Read the post again.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Can't the same be said for Syntax Olevia?

But yet in most case they give you more for your money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterS /forum/post/0

C'mon guys - I hate how this forum has degenerated into little children throwing around nonsense at each other. It was a serious question and requires a serious answer.

Westinghouse is actually a licensed name (not associated with the original Westinghouse in any way). It can bring product to market cheaper than the majors as there are several factors involved.

1. They do not have the overhead.

2. They do not have the extensive product lines (one product does not have to make up for the another "loss-leader", etc.)

3. They do not have the marketing budget (they do not promote the name)

4. They do not have the cache of a market name under which to extract more funds from their customers.

5. They out-source a great deal (engineering, support, etc.) This can be a good thing or bad depending upon the outsourcing - so far I would say it has been about equal to the majors - though they get more attention being a new name which people have yet to trust.

6. They do not aim to "be the best". Their technology is not "cutting edge" as they are focused on sales - not leadership of technology.

7. They use "on-demand manufacturing" vs. a Sony or Panasonic which has to maintain a world-wide inventory control system. This can lead to shortages - which are bad, but keep costs down and more controllable. Ergo why there are no Westinghouse Discount Outlets (as there are for Sony and Panasonic).

8. They are not a Public Company - and not under the scrutiny and pressure for profits at all costs. They are essentially a "startup" and can operate as such to gain marketshare.

On the negative side.

1. They are learning - you can bet if their products become "well-accepted" that their pricing will increase.

2. There are growing pains - QC is not quite what it needs to be (regarding "lock-ups", etc.) However, remember Sony had the same problem and had to issue a massive recall. Westinghouse is trying to "field-upgrade" all units with the issue - as they have far fewer units out there, and the cost is more manageable.

3. Their products will not be as "feature-rich". You are going to buy Westinghouse due to its "value" proposition, not by comparing them against the "Best of Breed" in their category. Its a Westinghouse for $1.5k or a Sony for $4.5k - remember that last 10% is the most expensive part of any product.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC /forum/post/0

He didn't say the units are "defective". Read the post again.

So what does he mean when he says that 2 of of twelve people have "Problems" with their sets?. Perhaps they are hard to house train, and they pee on the carpet!.

By the way I quoted what he said, in my post, so it was no way misleading. I still would like to hear from him about where he came up with the stats, that is unless he has appointed you as his PR person.

·
Banned
478 Posts

Quote:

So what does he mean when he says that 2 of of twelve people have "Problems" with their sets?. Perhaps they are hard to house train, and they pee on the carpet!.

By the way I quoted what he said, in my post, so it was no way misleading. I still would like to hear from him about where he came up with the stats, that is unless he has appointed you as his PR person.

Just read the Westy threads. Are you gonna argue with the figure I threw out? I was just taking a guess from what I saw on the forums. Your taking a number I threw out (In which I never stated it was a fact) and trying to stretch it so It can mean something. Its like you have a personal vendetta against Westy.

Me and whole lot of other people have been happy with there sets. Thats all I can really say.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts

Quote:

People having problems with their sets in no way means they are defective. Problems could mean that people are just not happy with them for one reason or another... Look at the Sony threads and I guarantee that at least 2 of every twelve people are also having "problems" with their Sony's. Don't twist others words to help with your own agenda.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olevia37HD /forum/post/0

Can't the same be said for Syntax Olevia?

But yet in most case they give you more for your money.

Well, I'll take that with a grain of salt. Just look at the name...

1 - 20 of 183 Posts