AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m wondering why these are so popular?
Do make a good front 3
Opinions? Your first hand or knowledge.. care to show your set ups?
Do people use two as a phantom image ? For surrounds or music use ..
due to high prices of hifi gear I see why people would use these .
High sound quality?
1.75” is a bigger compression driver then most hifi speakers too .
Wide or narrower dispersion?
Big woofers in 12 /15” model
affordability? Yes 👍?
What the heck is a wedge speaker there center ? Or surrounds ?no use for hifi Behringer VS1220F 600W 12 inch Passive Wedge Speaker
I wouldn’t be aloud to use anything this large, but I see it’s a big size speaker at a low low price !!!
more mid bass then similar priced hifi speakers too ?
Whatever your usage is enjoy 😉 probably good for everything.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
The wedge is designed to sit on stage, facing the musicians, so they can get feedback on their sound.

As long as you have subs to handle the bass below 120-100 Hz the 212 and 215 seem to be hard to beat for HT use at the lower price points.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
They're popular because they're an inexpensive waveguide-based speaker with high sensitivity and wide dispersion. The wide dispersion made them a good choice for large/wide seating positions and the high sensitivity means they can easily be powered to reference levels with moderate amounts of power from an AVR.

When they were still available, the similar Monoprice Stage Right passive models were similarly popular and even more affordable... unfortunately, after two model iterations, it looks like they've been discontinued and may not be replaced. There's currently a 15" powered model still available, but the 10", 12", and 15" passive models have been completely removed from the site.

The 15" model should also integrate just fine with a traditional 80hz subwoofer crossover... the 12" might as well (depending on in-room response), or might require a higher-but-acceptable 100hz subwoofer crossover.

The wide dispersion would likely make two work well for a phantom center, but it still really depends on your main listening position being correctly located dead-center between the two.

A few years back, my wife (at the time) and I were about to start building a new house with a dedicated basement theater. My plan was to use three of the Monoprice Stage Right 15" for LCR behind an AT screen and then eventually get around to building some DIYSG replacements... but the house plans (and the marriage) changed, so it didn't end up happening.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The wedge is designed to sit on stage, facing the musicians, so they can get feedback on their sound.

As long as you have subs to handle the bass below 120-100 Hz the 212 and 215 seem to be hard to beat for HT use at the lower price points.
yeah unbeatable price , expected more input on these speakers 🔊!!!
Does the woofer act as a large midrange?
Does anyone use the duel woofer models or those for live sound ?
Hifi woofers are generally tiny , often go lower . Pro subs aren’t actually subsonic ?
Just powered woofers?Behringer B1800XP 3000W 18 inch Powered Subwoofer

·
Registered
11,242 Posts
There are already huge threads running over many years on these speakers. The AVS Forum Advanced Search feature is your friend. :)

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m aware of the thread 🧵 it only covers two
Models tho , and I don’t have a reason to ask this question on there .

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
I’m aware of the thread 🧵 it only covers two
Models tho , and I don’t have a reason to ask this question on there .
Ok. I guess I didn't answer your question. So here it is: they are popular because they are cheap and good and you can get them fast. (Usually it's pick two, but in this case you get all three).

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have both eurolive b215xl and b212xl and both are really great. Cannot beat these speakers for the price and the sound they output. It really transformed my HT setup. The large woofer acting as a midrange is amazing, the vocals are crystal clear, sound has authority. These really are cinematic speakers. I liked these speakers so much that I am actually using the bigger b215xl in my stereo room for music listening and smaller b212xl in HT room all around.

I am also curious to see if the smaller b208d but active speaker is any good. For the price of the 208d, you get a really good speaker and amp built in. No other hifi speaker can do that. I may just order these in and test them out. :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have both eurolive b215xl and b212xl and both are really great. Cannot beat these speakers for the price and the sound they output. It really transformed my HT setup. The large woofer acting as a midrange is amazing, the vocals are crystal clear, sound has authority. These really are cinematic speakers. I liked these speakers so much that I am actually using the bigger b215xl in my stereo room for music listening and smaller b212xl in HT room all around.

I am also curious to see if the smaller b208d but active speaker is any good. For the price of the 208d, you get a really good speaker and amp built in. No other hifi speaker can do that. I may just order these in and test them out. :)
Forgot to mention, these speakers replaced expensive hifi speakers for both my HT setup and stereo setup. Not because these were cheaper (I already had the expensive speakers, so it was not a choice of buying less expensive speakers), but because after trying two of them as front L+R, I was really impressed with their sound quality.

So, yes these have really good sound quality and also they are lot cheaper than hi-fi speakers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts