AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a decent 5.1 system for years and am pleased with it. I am a bit puzzled to see a lot of receivers and systems with 7, 9 or even 11 channels while I can hardly get content for my 5.1 system. :( DVDs/Blue Rays sometimes have something in the surround but most often than not, there is not much in L/R surround. Broadcast on cable does not have much in the surround either (as it comes ultimately from the same source and am not sure if cable actually broadcast the surround). There is little music videos (or just music) that has surround tracks let alone good surround (Eagle's Hell freezes over being the exception).

Content (music or movies) with good surround tracks is quite enjoyable (I caught one the other day and it was nice, thus this post).

Are there sources out there that I don't know? We even have the fairly new ATMOS technology but little to no content yet.

Can we just get good 5.1 to enjoy the systems we already have? :confused:

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
There's a ton of 5.1 and 7.1 videos out there. Atmos is mainly new movies right now, but that's to be expected since it's a new format.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's a ton of 5.1 and 7.1 videos out there. Atmos is mainly new movies right now, but that's to be expected since it's a new format.
I have never seen a 7.1 video. But there is ton of 5.1 videos, they just don't have much (if anything) in the surround channels. :(

·
Registered
799 Posts
I am a bit puzzled to see a lot of receivers and systems with 7, 9 or even 11 channels while I can hardly get content for my 5.1 system.....We even have the fairly new ATMOS technology but little to no content yet...:
To get a good result with Atmos you need at least 4 speakers (just like you need at least 4 speakers at ear level for good surround sound). So that's eight channels. Throw in the the center speaker to get to 9. And, in the realm of diminishing returns, throw in 2 more Atmos speakers, or surround backs, or front wides, to get to 11 channels.

There are many movies with Atmos mixes. And I recently bought a Atmos mix of REM's "Automatic For the People".

edit: it may be a mistake for you to expect "much" sound coming from any of the surround, surround back, or overhead speakers. Those are all mostly for ambience. I can think of some exceptions, for example there's a DVD-A of Talking Heads "Burning Down the House" that steers a lot of the audio to the surround speakers.

·
Registered
29,199 Posts
I am a bit puzzled to see a lot of receivers and systems with 7, 9 or even 11 channels while I can hardly get content for my 5.1 system.
Same reason people buy 4K displays when there is relatively little 4K content. Content can be scaled to the display or speaker layout and it can look/sound better when more pixels/speakers are used during playback.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
(...)edit: it may be a mistake for you to expect "much" sound coming from any of the surround, surround back, or overhead speakers. Those are all mostly for ambience. I can think of some exceptions, for example there's a DVD-A of Talking Heads "Burning Down the House" that steers a lot of the audio to the surround speakers.
That is basically my point meli. I expect the 5.1 setup to make a difference over a traditional stereo setup. In most cases, it does not. :(
Except, as I mentioned, the Eagle DVD that really gives you the impression of being there with the audience.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I expect the 5.1 setup to make a difference over a traditional stereo setup. In most cases, it does not. :.
I think they may be true for some 5.1 music mixes, but with movies (and gaming) the jump from stereo to surround is pretty significant.

If you mostly listen to music, it's more difficult to justify the jump from stereo to surround sound, and very difficult to justify Atmos.

On the other hand, maybe you should try some more surround albums. Have you heard Beck's "Sea Change" or The Beatles "Love" in surround?

·
Registered
14,680 Posts
That is basically my point meli. I expect the 5.1 setup to make a difference over a traditional stereo setup. In most cases, it does not. :(
Except, as I mentioned, the Eagle DVD that really gives you the impression of being there with the audience.
I have a 5.1 system and quite a few surround music titles. Most of those titles sound excellent in surround and are quite a step up in overall immersion over stereo.

Bill

Reactions: CygnusX2112

·
Registered
567 Posts
Personally,

I hate surround music albums, but... 4k UHD movie is 7.1 native. There is quite a jump from 5.1 to 5.1.4 .. not so much from 5.1 to 7.1. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I would not think about codecs like ATMOS, but, I'd concentrate on improving my electronics so that I can appreciate basic 5.1 or 7.1. You want a musical and involving listening experience with note integrity, great stereo imaging and the ability to put you in the soundtrack wherein you can appreciate the recording quality. Once you get the basics correct, if at some time you hear and choose ATMOS, then I'd consider it if I liked it which I could care less for. Regardless, your electronics can't be right due you your comments because surround is where its at, not stereo. ;)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I don't understand how people are saying that there is little to no content for Atmos?

Like... look a this list - http://www.nextgenhometheater.com/dolby-atmos-blu-ray-movies/

How is that "little" or "no" content? Where did you learn your maths?
Keep in mind that list isn't even complete.

Yes indeed, get the best front LCR you can afford and can fit in your space first. Said no one ever, that's obvious as "water is wet".

·
Registered
799 Posts
I don't understand how people are saying that there is little to no content for Atmos?

Like... look a this list - http://www.nextgenhometheater.com/dolby-atmos-blu-ray-movies/

How is that "little" or "no" content? Where did you learn your maths?
Keep in mind that list isn't even complete..
I think there are two different issues that are being conflated.

1) The OP is mostly talking about music. There isn't a lot of music mixed for Atmos. The only Atmos album I own is REM's "Automatic for The People" and and I have a couple Atmos music videos.

2) The OP is also saying when he listens to surround audio mixes, not a lot of "content" comes from the surround speakers. And I'm saying that it may not be a worthwhile upgrade to an Atmos system if you mostly listen to music.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
If your not getting a lot of content from your surround speakers when listening to surround audio mixes there is something seriously wrong with your setup, equipment and or settings.

There are so many incredible surround mixes that offer a complete discrete listening experience I don't even know where to begin in compiling a list.

IMO, aside from maybe a live show, there is nothing more enjoyable and fun then listening to music in surround.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
With my Yamaha AVR's Stereo to 7.1 DSP, even stereo music sounds better than a traditional stereo setup. The trick to multichannel for music is that you need to select speakers that are better than the typical home theater speakers. You also have to do a lot more work on calibrating levels and EQ and optimizing your room than with stereo. If you do it right, the advantage of multichannel is self evident.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Just go to Amazon and search for concert blu-rays and classical music on blu-ray. There's tons of music blu-rays with 5.1 sound. A lot of it is very good. I find that the batting average of listenable or better to complete duds for video blu-rays is better than for SACDs.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
perhaps you should re-read the post and then understand the context of the entire post.
The one line quote was relevant to this the forum the rest wasn't hence why it was ignored, you don't care for surround music [this entire forum is dedicated for that] so why bother?

1 - 20 of 115 Posts