AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

Why even bother with more than two 18" pro woofers. Look see what Procella can do. 130dB continuous at 18Hz, with 136dB Peak!!

Procella P18 2016 Full Frontal.

Power Handling: 2 x 1,200W cont
Amplifier: Procella DA06-DSP
Impedance: 2 x 4ohm
Sensitivity: 102dB/1m/1W
Max SPL: 133dB cont, 139dB peak
Drivers: Long-throw, professional 18" with 4" VC, Al demodulation ring and neodymium magnet
Net Weight: 65kg
Made In Europe.

NB: -3dB @ 18Hz!! That is 130dB continuous at 18Hz, with 136dB Peak!!

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...o-speakers-owners-thread-11.html#post37096954

Its Amazing!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dont know, but usually very expensive. It was mostly the outrageous SPL claim that interested me. No one in the owners thread seem to object.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Dont know, but usually very expensive. It was mostly the outrageous SPL claim that interested me. No one in the owners thread seem to object.
Not that outrageous if you don't specify time, distance, or distortion levels. Sure does look nice for a black box.

Of course you want to use at least a pair to smooth out room nodes ;)

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Having a peak at 50hz reminds me of the Fi drivers. The BMS driver likes a small cabinet and has F3 around 50hz in 200l for the pair before EQ. Peaks could be similar if your willing to push it that far but I dont believe 99% of the posted specs. F3 of 18hz would be a custom driver, EQ and some hocus pocus with 133db peaks anywhere near 25hz. :rolleyes:

Compare the UXL and others against this pro audio pair of 18's and see how they fair. Then look at Ricci's dual 21SW152 and compare. The pair of 21's can move a lot more air than the P 18's. But Josh at least gives you the SPL numbers with THD. Also even if using an L/T EQ it wont be hitting crazy SPL numbers for full BW. Maybe it can hit 130db 50% distortion and 88db at 18hz.

I do love the look of them and do wish I could build something similar with BC drivers. I just love how clean they sound. BUT an SI18 can out power most pro audio drivers below 42hz.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
maybe they mean inside the box ?! :)
lol. Could be peaks of 133db at 125hz also. :)

From what I can tell Funk Audio has pro audio like drivers with higher excursion possibilities and they cant hit 130 something peaks down low unless maybe in MK's room with four of them. I have been looking at Funk's 18's and they look pretty nice. I do love the look of these Procella cabinets though.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I think those cost the better part of $10K, maybe closer to $8k but they are very expensive.

I want to know what the magic sauce or pixie dust is that allows them to get ANYWHERE near 130dB at 18hz with the Xmax that type of driver probably has, even with the accordion.

That said from everything I have heard their speakers are excellent, but I don't see their subs causing many wet dreams in the DIY forum. For $8K one could build and power 20 SI-18HTs...:eek:

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
NB: -3dB @ 18Hz!! That is 130dB continuous at 18Hz,
Its Amazing!
Not to mention impossible. -3dB at 18Hz from a small sealed sub is possible, as it has built in DSP. So is 130dB continuous. But you can't have both.

·
Registered
14,564 Posts
I would guess 115db tops @ 18hz. Also you can not take 136db max spl and subtract 6db and assume this sub has 130db @ 18hz capability. Base response and Max spl are completely different. I am sure the aggressive dsp being applied to give this sealed unit a -3db @ 18hz suffers from significant compression when turned up. There simply is not enough displacement here to hit 130db below 30hz except maybe in a hatch back Honda.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Not to mention impossible. -3dB at 18Hz from a small sealed sub is possible, as it has built in DSP. So is 130dB continuous. But you can't have both.
With enough power and excursion it is possible, you are still only asking for 2 characteristics ruled by the Iron Law.

In the end these speakers won't do 130dB but actually they don't say they can. Just because the -3dB is at 18hz and they say it will 133dB at 50hz that does not mean they are saying that it will do 130dB at 18hz, that is an incorrect assumption by the OP.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Look at the sim further up and see for yourself just how far from the claimed spec. this box is likely to be. Not claiming it to be especially accurate, but the discrepancy is bigger than big.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Look at the sim further up and see for yourself just how far from the claimed spec. this box is likely to be. Not claiming it to be especially accurate, but the discrepancy is bigger than big.
Throw enough EQ into the picture and you could be -3dB @ 18hz with a 1w input...

They don't say it will do 130dB at 18hz, that is an interpolation of the data. They say it will do 133dB @ 50hz and I expect it can indeed get very close to that, if not meet it. For the price they should do 130dB @ 18hz but we all know they won't without more extension and more power.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes at one watt, how ever the claim is this:

"That is 130dB continuous at 18Hz, with 136dB Peak!!"

That is not gonna happen with one watt :)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts