AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All:

First time post.

I've always found my answers through searches till now.

I can't wrap my head around this issue!

Why buy a cav6.6 if you have to 'waste' all the video features because they're useless for HD,then turn around and buy a VM1?

I'm helping a buddy who has had an installer run only two cat5,and two speaker pairs to each room/zone.

One cat5 for the keypad,leaving only 1 cat5 for the a/v.

He has double gang wall boxes in anticipation of the S2 keypads.

I hate to see him throw away money on a subpar system.

Is there another system that actually comes with proper video distribution from the start that is favored by you guys?

I'm sure I'm missing something here,but to buy a system that is only capable of composite seems to warrant alot of complaints,but I can't find anyone whining about this in all my searches!

TIA,Mark

·
Registered
162 Posts
I bought the CAV6.6 because it offers more expansion--I can do 10 zones (well, 6 zones and 4 subzones) with six sources without having to spring for another CAV6.6. I may or may not use the video capabilities. If I decide to matrix video, I'll probably do it with another brand of HDMI switch, not the Russound component video switch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So regardless of not using half of its capabilities (the subpar video side),there is still nothing out there that beats it?

Why not just use the CAA66?

Because no meta data?

I have nothing against Russound.I don't know enough to!

It just seems that there would be an audio only solution by Russound,or another company, that matches the audio portion of the cav6.6.

Again,I must be missing something.

Is there anyone with a 1080p plasma that is content to feed it composite?

Thanks,Mark

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
You might be interested in a 1080p and IR over IP transmitter/receiver system. You can "right-size" it from the start, it has return IR control in every room, and it can easily be expanded over time.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
 NuVo Grand Concerto is audio only, plus it's more powerful than the Russound to boot. I use the Concerto, it rocks.

Plus, the RS232 protocol is awesome - I can use the keypads to control my CQC Home Automation System (ie, non-NuVo devices), and have CQC put custom text on the keypads.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts