AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was looking for a quality receiver thats gonna be a solid 120 x 5 @ 8 ohms and the good ones are gonna run you around $2,000+ and just wonder WHY you would go that route when you could go pre/pro?

I was looking at the emotiva UMC-1 which is $699 as the processor and the Emotiva UPA-5 as the Amplifier for $549 which is 125 x 5

Now Wouldnt these give better quality and sound much better than a $1300 receiver, nomatter what brand?

I mean for $1300 That seems like something that can not be beat, sure its not as fancy with all the gadgets and cool displays , but really who cares.. Am I wrong or would the Emotiva setup Im talking about pretty much out perform any Receiver under $2000.?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Ill bite -- how about reason number

1) The pre/pro setup requires more pieces, instruments, wires etc...

2) I'll let other add other reasons

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeG44 /forum/post/18264238

Ill bite -- how about reason number

1) The pre/pro setup requires more pieces, instruments, wires etc...

2) I'll let other add other reasons

haha well thanks for the start

Im serious tho, Im not being sarcastic or anything, I really want to know what is needed and why pre/pros ARE so much better for less $..?? So its 2 pieces instead of 1 with a few more rca's. OK well for ppl with 10-100 cubic foot sub enclosures, I would think the extra 2 cubic feet wouldnt matter

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Is that $2000+ number realistic though? I thought there were several receivers well below that price point that are no slouches?

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj79 /forum/post/18264107

Now Wouldnt these give better quality and sound much better than a $1300 receiver, nomatter what brand?

No. Not necessarily.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu /forum/post/18264274

No. Not necessarily.

Hmm ok then, whats better .. The $1300 emotiva setup i listed or a nice denon, HK, marantz etc etc receiver for 1300, I really dont know , thats why im asking

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I power amp with plenty of power and a solid pre pro will give you better sound than an underpowered receiver. As far as a high end receiver with more power...well, you need to test and see if your ears hear the difference.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj79 /forum/post/18264275

Hmm ok then, whats better ..

For your spec I'd grab an end-of-run Yamaha RX-V1900 for about half of your pre/pro example.

·
Registered
146 Posts

Quote:

Hmm ok then, whats better .. The $1300 emotiva setup i listed or a nice denon, HK, marantz etc etc receiver for 1300, I really dont know , thats why im asking

one ex onkyo nr3007 can be had for that same amount. better VP, 9x140watts, etc.....

and last gen models like sr876 can be had for less with equal or better specs then the emotiva.

but it all come down to what amps sound the best to you.

consider this 2 onkyo both are rated 0.05% THD where ad the emotiva is rated 0.1% THD.

·
Registered
15,090 Posts
The Emotiva pre/pro's low cost is why so many people are interested in it. Most pre/pros are *much* more expensive. See the list in the thread SSP & Pre/Pros that support HDMI Audio MPCM . As a result, many people purchase receivers and augment them with external amplifiers.

Unfortunately, the UMC-1 still has quite a few bugs in it and is not yet available in production quantities.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Generally speaking, using an AVR is going to be cheaper than an AVP/amp combo for a simple reason: the market for AVRs is much larger than AVPs. It seems counter intuitive than taking parts out would cost more, but most people would rather buy an AVR and be done.

The UMC is definitely not the norm for AVP pricing. And techically speaking, you can't just pick up a UMC off the 'shelf' yet. Consider that you can pick up an Onkyo 1007 for ~$1k or a 3007 for ~$1400 and if you want you can use them as AVPs. Most AVP start in this neighborhood....

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I've been using separates since the '70s, but recently ordered a Denon 4810 to upgrade my system. The reason? At present, I don't see a credible preamp choice in the under-$2000 price range. The Onkyo/Integra models are full featured but have a couple little issues (internal relay clicking, for instance) and I distrust Onkyo's CS (based on a friend's experience.)

The Emotiva is a bit under-featured for my needs. I have quite a lot of hardware in the rack. Plus, I'd like a better video-processing option than the Emotiva provides.

I was pinning hopes on the upcoming (someday) Outlaw 997, based on the Sherwood/Newcastle 972. But the 972 appears to be full of bugs, which bodes ill for the Outlaw pre/pro-only version.

It's a tough time to be a separates enthusiast (on a budget) in the HT marketplace. I got an excellent price on a factory refurbished Denon and decided to give it a shot.

·
Registered
452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj79 /forum/post/18264107

Well I was looking for a quality receiver thats gonna be a solid 120 x 5 @ 8 ohms and the good ones are gonna run you around $2,000+ and just wonder WHY you would go that route when you could go pre/pro?

I was looking at the emotiva UMC-1 which is $699 as the processor and the Emotiva UPA-5 as the Amplifier for $549 which is 125 x 5

I mean for $1300 That seems like something that can not be beat, sure its not as fancy with all the gadgets and cool displays , but really who cares.. Am I wrong or would the Emotiva setup Im talking about pretty much out perform any Receiver under $2000.?

I doubt that anyone could hear the differences between any of the AVRs or pre-pros that you have an idea of buying--if they were faced with making the choice after a double-blind listening test. Really, almost anything that is THX certified on the amp section will be quite sufficient for almost anyone's needs. And the signal to noise ratios, etc., are rather beyond anyone's hearing, too.

So unless you have some sort of exotic speakers with extremely demanding amplifier needs, just pick up a THX certified AVR in the $1000 region and be happy.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
For one thing, as someone else suggested, you don't have to spend 2k on a receiver. I agree with the assessment of the UMC - not exactly something everyone can buy.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The only reason IMHO for a pre/pro setup is if you have extreme power needs.

If I had invested 10k+ in my speakers then maybe I would need the extra power, but most of the speakers I would ever use can run fine on the wattage of my Onkyo 1007.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for the heads up. I really thought the pre/pro setup was the way to go , but now just see it as AVR overkill for the average user...

When looking for a AVR is there anything in particular to look at, or once they hit a certain price point, are they all the same? I know there are 2 good upscalers ( foroudja and another that i cant remember ) anything with THX processing, and Audyssey multEQ XT being the best of Audysseys eq, but hear the more standard multEQ is also pretty nice,.. So with knowing that Im assuming that puts me around a $1000 price point?

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

Emotiva's SSP is the exception to the rule. On the whole, the vast majority of SSP's cost far more than AVR's.

And with the Emotiva example, you lose Audyssey MultEQ XT (my personal favorite Room EQ), THX Processing, and other things.

Emotiva does offer their own Room EQ. And I must say it is a fantastic value and there seems to be many happy Owners. I know initially there were some issues, but it seems the recent Firmware Update has resolved many of the previous issues.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj79 /forum/post/18271698

Thanks everyone for the heads up. I really thought the pre/pro setup was the way to go , but now just see it as AVR overkill for the average user...

When looking for a AVR is there anything in particular to look at, or once they hit a certain price point, are they all the same? I know there are 2 good upscalers ( foroudja and another that i cant remember ) anything with THX processing, and Audyssey multEQ XT being the best of Audysseys eq, but hear the more standard multEQ is also pretty nice,.. So with knowing that Im assuming that puts me around a $1000 price point?

To bad you missed to special BB had on the Pioneer Elite SC-25. Would have been right in your price point and you would have had one hell of an AVR. 140 watts x7 usind classD ICE amps. Also stay away from foroudja, its an old chip and does not upscale very well. Stick with an AVR that uses Anchor Bay chips or the Reon chip for video.

If I were you i would get the Pioneer Elite SC-25. ABT has it for a pretty good price, although not as good as the BB deal.

Take Care,

Hitachi 55HDT79

DISH VIP722

SONY BDP-S500

NINTENDO Wii

Pioneer Elite SC-25

DT 350 FRONT L/R

DT C/L/R 2002 C

DT BPX REAR SURROUND

SONY SA-W3000 SUB

·
Registered
951 Posts

Quote:

The problem with your original post wording is that it is a generalized statement. Therefore your example setup is an abberation and does not define the norm. In this case you use it to setup your own strawman argument.

Really the kind of statement you'd hear from somebody selling product rather than inquiring about a genre of products.

Edit: This is by no means a slag on the Emotiva, lots of people like it. A lot. It just isn't representative of the costs of a pre-pro set up. And like others have mentioned, try getting one at the moment.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Not everyone has speakers that can utilize a pre/pro setup. What if you saw someone with Bose speakers paired with McIntosh gear?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts