AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Access cards are available direct from Directv for $20. Why would someone pay more than $20 for one on eBay? I was just looking at one past auction where an access card sold for $65, and it was nothing special. What am I missing?

David

·
Registered
235 Posts
Because some evil dss users......aka hackers.....use...the access cards so they can get dss for free. But you didnt hear that from me :D

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, someone who isn't an existing customer of Directv, who CAN'T just call up Directv and buy a card for $20, would buy one off eBay and then hack it to steal the service? I'm intrigued at just how big a business this is. I suppose ordering PPV movies would be out.

I just assumed it was people who didn't know they could just call up and order a new card for twenty bucks. I'm so naive.

David

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by haysdb
I'm intrigued at just how big a business this is. I suppose ordering PPV movies would be out.
Not naive - just innocent. While there has been some commercial hacking in the U.S. (always under fire from the Digital Millinneum Copyright Act with DirecTV only too happy to have charges brought), until April 26th when the Canadian Supreme Court re-affirmed that black and gray market access to U.S. DBS signals was illegal, the real action in supplying hacked cards and paraphenalia for cheats to steal the signal occurred north of the border from about the time the U.S. dealers began feeling the heat. Sales did not stop at the border either. The Canadian sources gleefully supplied American cheats as well. The business was big enough to make 8 or 10 Canadian hacker-dealers millionaires several times over with rumors of turf war dirty tricks. While there haven't been wholesale raids by Canadian authorities on these individuals and others (yet) since this recent decision, the ruling and loss of injunctions that were immediately filed after the ruling against enforcement have driven most of 'em back underground or offshore. DirecTV, for its part, is in the process of swapping out the current HU (P3) cards, and the remaining legally subscribed H (P2) cards for a new one unofficially dubbed the P4. It'll probably take the better part of a year (though DirecTV claims by this coming December . . .), but once done, and the P4's proprietary activation packets are turned on and the P2's and P3's packets permanently turned off, the old cards will become instant ice scrapers - hacked or not.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I've read that the new cards seem to be going out to subscribers based on old card serial number blocks. Your first hint that yours is coming could be a short nag message to tune to channel 222 for instructions on how to do the swap, though some have gotten their new cards in the mail before they ever saw the message. (Ordinarily channel 222 is inactive except for those whose new cards are on the way.) Once the message starts, it's about once per hour initially, eventually going to once per minute after a week or two. After a month, no TV until the old card is replaced. If you thought your life had become hum-drum, you have some excitement to look forward to now.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I actually started seeing the message on my old RCA receiver around the time the swap was announced. Interestingly, the message disappeared in a few days and just syas "reserved for ????" Can't remember the wording. My system was installed in 10/2000, so I would imagine a have a long wait before I get my new card (based on serial number).

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have 4 direct receivers, counting the one built into my RCA F38310 HD set. My oldest receiver is over 4 years old. I received my 4 replacement cards two weeks ago. Had no troubles doing the conversion. Each new card stated which old card it was replacing.

Don

·
Registered
235 Posts
David:

The whole card is the key to everything thats why its a big deal. Directv dosent tell you......but the card in your reciever actually allows every channel to come in, unscarambled.....including ppv. But the card get instructions from the phone line, what to allow you to see and what not......then write to ur card ur leverls. Thats why hackers flock to ebay for those expensive cards. Also hucards(football) have been around for 2-years....since they were planning to get rid of the hcard(staelitte)........so who knows when they'll finally eliminate them. But you didnt hear it from me =).

John

·
Registered
1,017 Posts

Originally posted by jonathanR
David:

The whole card is the key to everything thats why its a big deal. Directv dosent tell you......but the card in your reciever actually allows every channel to come in, unscarambled.....including ppv.

The signals in the air are encrypted, and the card is programmed with keys to decrypt it. These keys come via the satellite signal, and not the phone line. The phone line is used when the card has ppv orders stored on it and uploads that information to DirecTV. The phone line is an outgoing "return path" to DirecTV. The information telling your receiver and access card what to do comes via the satellite.

The reason why cards are such a big deal on ebay is because hackers reprogram these cards to fool the receiver into thinking that they are authorized to view all channels. For the most part, you can't use a used HU card in your receiver, because it has been "married" to the receiver, meaning only your card will work in your receiver and that change is more or less permanent. That's why so called "virgin" cards, which have never been written to are so hot on ebay.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Raj2001:

Actually i heard that you can unmarry a hu card pretty easy. Well before they close this thread if you want just info and only jus info on stuff like we were talkin about............

John

[Link removed by admin. All Please Note...we do not allow DSS hacking talk on AVS Forum. Thank You.]

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Damn i wish i understood this stuff,

anyone live in NJ:)

tommy

·
Premium Member
9,326 Posts
Sorry All...We do not allow the talk of DSS Hacking on this site.

I will now respectfully close this thread.

Thank you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.