AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Why buy an amp over 1k? or even $500?

2K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  BobDole 
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray
I dont need 1000W power, I just need to supply solid power to 2 channels. Tonight I found out about the BEHRINGER A500 amps which are below $200. Everything I read about them tells me buying a similar "rated" amp that is more then $500 is just wasting your money.

I know the responses I will get....its under $200 therefore you will get that much in performance but I will say this now that without testing it anyone making that comment is simply a fool and need not reply ;)
Penngray it's interesting that you would make a comment like this when apparently you yourself have not yet heard or tried the A500. I would suggest you get one and compare it yourself to more expensive amps before believing everything you read. ;)

I also suggest you search the forum and the "grin from ear to ear" thread specifically a bit more and read more about this amp. Not everyone has had a good experience with it, and based solely on the price it's pretty clear they had to cut some corners somewhere. Behringer in the pro audio world is considered cheap junk that no legitimate sound company (such as mine) would consider using on the road, although in fairness much of their gear like their digital EQs seems to enjoy a lot of respect from audiophiles here and on other forums, so clearly it's not all junk. I just ordered a Behringer control surface that gets rave reviews, and I'm considering getting one of their DEQ2496 EQs for my mixing studio (though I'd never trust it on a live sound gig). I've heard awful things about their mixing boards and some of their other gear.

Pro amps, while not the right flavor for everyone, are a fantastic and cost-effective alternative to high-end "audiophile" amps for many people. QSC and Crown amps are especially good. I have a Technical HiFi Blue Ice Z-5000 amp that I took a chance on since they're not well known in the pro audio community but it turned out to be a great amp for a great price (with almost silent cooling fans), if a bit edgier than some good home amps I've listened to. It sounds excellent on my Swans 5.2.

By the way the A500 is convection cooled, no fan, therefore no fan noise. It's right in the specs.

Let us know what you think if you get an A500. You might love it. Just try to get it someplace with a good return policy in case you don't. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.