AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Why buy an amp over 1k? or even $500?

2K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  BobDole 
#1 ·
I dont need 1000W power, I just need to supply solid power to 2 channels. Tonight I found out about the BEHRINGER A500 amps which are below $200. Everything I read about them tells me buying a similar "rated" amp that is more then $500 is just wasting your money.

I know the responses I will get....its under $200 therefore you will get that much in performance but I will say this now that without testing it anyone making that comment is simply a fool and need not reply ;)

#4 ·
YOu have a point penngray, but to me its no different than asking a question like

"Why buy a car for more than $X?", yet millions of people buy cars that cost way more than $X....its all about what its worth to you and what your perceived value is.....if you cant tell teh difference, then its money well spent for you....

#5 ·
I'm probably one of the few people out there that had a bad experience with the A500 amplifier, but it was likely a manufacturing defect on my unit as opposed to a model deficiency.

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray
I dont need 1000W power, I just need to supply solid power to 2 channels. Tonight I found out about the BEHRINGER A500 amps which are below $200. Everything I read about them tells me buying a similar "rated" amp that is more then $500 is just wasting your money.

I know the responses I will get....its under $200 therefore you will get that much in performance but I will say this now that without testing it anyone making that comment is simply a fool and need not reply ;)
Penngray it's interesting that you would make a comment like this when apparently you yourself have not yet heard or tried the A500. I would suggest you get one and compare it yourself to more expensive amps before believing everything you read. ;)

I also suggest you search the forum and the "grin from ear to ear" thread specifically a bit more and read more about this amp. Not everyone has had a good experience with it, and based solely on the price it's pretty clear they had to cut some corners somewhere. Behringer in the pro audio world is considered cheap junk that no legitimate sound company (such as mine) would consider using on the road, although in fairness much of their gear like their digital EQs seems to enjoy a lot of respect from audiophiles here and on other forums, so clearly it's not all junk. I just ordered a Behringer control surface that gets rave reviews, and I'm considering getting one of their DEQ2496 EQs for my mixing studio (though I'd never trust it on a live sound gig). I've heard awful things about their mixing boards and some of their other gear.

Pro amps, while not the right flavor for everyone, are a fantastic and cost-effective alternative to high-end "audiophile" amps for many people. QSC and Crown amps are especially good. I have a Technical HiFi Blue Ice Z-5000 amp that I took a chance on since they're not well known in the pro audio community but it turned out to be a great amp for a great price (with almost silent cooling fans), if a bit edgier than some good home amps I've listened to. It sounds excellent on my Swans 5.2.

By the way the A500 is convection cooled, no fan, therefore no fan noise. It's right in the specs.

Let us know what you think if you get an A500. You might love it. Just try to get it someplace with a good return policy in case you don't. :)

#7 ·
This always depends. If you don't try things you won't know what they are like. But then it's also possible not to find a difference between many products that are on the market.

I've spent some time listening to a few amps and find I hear a difference, therefore I'm always thinking about whether or not there is something better to listen to.

#8 ·
Quote:
Were you near a mirror when you wrote this part? :D

#10 ·
I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you implying that all amps sound the same? It sounds like you're asking "why do people spend money on nice things?" This type of question is, IMO, quite silly. By your logic, one might ask why people live in nice homes when a studio apartment provides shelter; why people eat good food when ramen noodles cost 25 cents; etc. The answer is simple and obvious - people spend money on things that are important to them and bring them happiness. If you're happy with a $200 amp (hell, even a $200 HTiB), then more power to you, enjoy your gear. Others are only content with (what they perceive to be) the best, be it audio, real estate, wine, etc.

#11 ·
Quote:
I know the responses I will get....its under $200 therefore you will get that much in performance but I will say this now that without testing it anyone making that comment is simply a fool and need not reply
Then why even ask the question, if you believe that there is only one answer and you've found it?

It sounds like a rhetorical question, and I don't answer those ;)

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeterex
Then why even ask the question, if you believe that there is only one answer and you've found it?

It sounds like a rhetorical question, and I don't answer those ;)
We see these types of threads all of the time here and they always get my goat. I am the first person to say the only thing that matters is what your ears hear. If spending $100 is enough to make you happy, great. If you need to spend a million bucks, also great. To each his own. What I can't stand are threads like this where (and I'm going to get flamed for this, but whatever) people who either can't afford expensive gear or don't appreciate it try to make everyone else look like idiots for buying it. It must be nice to live in a world where a $200 amp is the best you can get and everyone else who spent $1000 or $10,000 or $50,000 is just a sucker.

#13 ·
Why buy a $15K honda civic. instead of a Kia sephia $8000?

I'll tell you, engineering knowledge, high quality production facility to create the parts. Tried and true design architectures. And lastly, but definitely not least, reputation.

I've got at least 60% more faith in Honda/Toyota/Nissan than Kia or Hyundai.

The other 3 have been in the game longer, have higher customer sat scores. and their manufacturing tolerances are very low.

#14 ·
Quote:
.... Everything I read about them tells me buying a similar "rated" amp that is more then $500 is just wasting your money...
In the magic world of teenage audio, $200 amps sound and perform the same as $5k ones. If you believe it's wasting your money to spend more, then it almost certainly is. It takes some time and experience for one to learn to hear the differences between components. Save up for that day.

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDole
We see these types of threads all of the time here and they always get my goat. I am the first person to say the only thing that matters is what your ears hear. If spending $100 is enough to make you happy, great. If you need to spend a million bucks, also great. To each his own. What I can't stand are threads like this where (and I'm going to get flamed for this, but whatever) people who either can't afford expensive gear or don't appreciate it try to make everyone else look like idiots for buying it. It must be nice to live in a world where a $200 amp is the best you can get and everyone else who spent $1000 or $10,000 or $50,000 is just a sucker.
What gets me mad is when (especially on the wire/cable threads) people tell other people to sell themselves short...

...it's fine that a person uses cheap wire (eaches own); but, don't just tell someone that expensive "products" aren't worth it.

You can't give me a Behringer product; it's cheap, cloned-crap.

In the DJ world, everyday I see people with "pro-sumer" mixers (Behringer, Gemini, etc...) complain that their mixer lets them down; since I invest in good products (Rane, Denon, etc...), my gear lasts longer.

As it was stated before, "you gonna use lamp-cord on your $12K B&W piano-glossed 802's?"...

:rolleyes:

#17 ·
Imagine my red face when I brought home my first portable DVD player and discovered that the sound emanating from just those two little half-inch transducers was indistinguishable from the full impact of my $100K+ system! Boy, what an eye opener! The "everything sounds the same crowd" sure was on the right track -- who would've thought it?!! Now I'm stuck with all this useless gear...unless I can trick someone else.......yeah, that's the ticket.......use some fancy words and buffalo them into thinking they hear a difference -- that's gotta work, right?

#18 ·
If you can make your FR flat with room correction electronics, can't we all just use $300 a pair bookshelf speakers? Wouldn't anything else just be a waste? And why audition, my FR will be flat when I'm done anyway.

Sorry, had to toss that one in as well ;)

#20 ·
Let's not forget the "keeping up with the Joneses" aspect. If your freinds have dedicated theater rooms with $50k systems and you have a $200 HTIB you might feel embarassed or insanely jealous. This is just something we all have to get over. If I wanted to give up my Toyota every time I saw a Jaguar, how could I ever enjoy life and appreciate what I do have?

#21 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool4life
...As it was stated before, "you gonna use lamp-cord on your $12K B&W piano-glossed 802's?"...

:rolleyes:
If one did, it wouldn't sound any worse or better than more expensive speaker cable. Ouch! :eek: Ouch :eek: stop hitting me for voicing my opinion :p

#22 ·
cables, amps, compression schemes , dacs, there is too much controversy over what others want to say about what can and can't make a differance that anyone can hear.

LET'S JUST AGREE TO DISAGREE.

A perfect speaker shouldn't impose it's own sonic characteristics either.

#24 ·
As an owner of 6 amps that were under $150 on eBay driving my whole-house audio, I only wish I had the $$ to be able to demo the super-nice amps in my house to see if I could tell a difference.

I don't even want to bring one home lest I realize I can tell the difference, and instantly be dissatisfied with that which I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.