AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the FCC finally having finally established a standard, we are now maybe only months away from seeing sets with integrated HD receivers. Unless one really likes (I don't, wife doesn't) having an extra box or two around (Cable STB and/or outboard receiver), why would one not wait the few months for the integrated units, especially when prices may crack (See Sanyo 32" panel pricing)?

·
Super Moderator
21,565 Posts
there will still be the need for an external stb for a lot of us:

for example those who use satellite services:

ASTC and NTSC are already in most DSS stb's so the integrated tuner in the display would be of limited value ( it would make the cost of the display higher)

·
Registered
711 Posts
And as long as there aren't any more advances in the STB/receiver technology. Isn't being able to upgrade later one of the big reasons that many purchasers like the slots in the Pios and new Pannys? If the receiver is internal/built-in, it will generally be that much more of a problem to upgrade later.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Why buy a car now when you can get next years models next year? I have a friend who waited 3 years before buying a CD player because DAT was supposed to be the next big thing.

·
Super Moderator
21,565 Posts
another consideration is spikes/lightning damage

these can come from AC line, audio/video feeds but most common and potentially costly damage would be from a rooftop antenna:

less damage might occur if the antenna was connected to a stb rather than directly to an expensive plasma or LCD monitor

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mark - Understand about lightening, but recall my question was asked in the context of cable only. Will not be doing satelite or off air. If I wait for an intergrated, won't I be rid of the ugly cable box and the fee that goes with it?

·
Super Moderator
21,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sgbroimp
Mark - Understand about lightening, but recall my question was asked in the context of cable only. Will not be doing satelite or off air. If I wait for an intergrated, won't I be rid of the ugly cable box and the fee that goes with it?
yes-- in the context of cable only it should let you get rid of the cable box, although I understand a cable box will still be necessary for PPV and some special programming

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mark - many thanks...won't be doing PPV etc. so will proably wait. Is it likely we will see current models of Sanyo, Samsung, Mits (30-32" Versions) LCD or Plasma reworked with HD receivers, or are all new models with the receivers in them the more likely scenerio? Is early 04 likely to happen or can't the mfg's move this fast?

·
Super Moderator
21,565 Posts
I suspect most manufacturers already have these designs worked out:

the displays with separate media boxes will be first

·
Registered
258 Posts
Don't forget... a built-in ATSC tuner probably won't do you much good if your local cable provider isn't equipped to issue the required smart cards. I'm also wondering if ATSC tuner means HD tuner... will the upcoming integrated ATSC tuners necessarily be able to decode HD?

·
Super Moderator
21,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Descolada
Don't forget... a built-in ATSC tuner probably won't do you much good if your local cable provider isn't equipped to issue the required smart cards. I'm also wondering if ATSC tuner means HD tuner... will the upcoming integrated ATSC tuners necessarily be able to decode HD?
Yes the ATSC integrated tuner will decode HD

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
As I will never again go without a PVR -- and wouldn't even want that built into my TV -- I am going to have a box for a long, long, long time. And with PVR growth set to explode, many others will join me.

Also, as noted above, these integrated devices will not have the ability to handle two-way services, like video on demand in particular. That is also rolling out rapidly and makes TV much more enjoyable..

So....

Mark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.