AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local FOX channels morning news had a short segment on HDTVS.

They talked to Best Buy person (mistake?).

They said their were 3 types of HDTVs avlabile Rear projection, Plasma and LCD. I can see how they might clump all the larger TVS into Rear projection. But when they talked rear projection they said itsf hard to see from the sides. Which is true with basic models. However the are many other rear projection models that have come close to to reducing this a lot. Such as HDILa, LCOs, rear projection LCD and DLP. Yes the above fall into almost their own. But could be called rear projection.

They also forgot about tubetvs. Yes their on the way out. But can provide a great no fuss pricture for the average consumer.

He talked briefly about HDDVDvs Bluray. Only bring up the this is the only way to get 1080p on select TVs. And saying thiers a wide selection of software. Which is good in a way becase it keeps them out of the war as it were.

At the end he said their are 2 ways to to GET HD either cable or sattilite. Forgetting all about OTA. I don't know what it is but no one wants to talk about it.

I just think they could have gone a better route. Prehapps going thew the steps to HD

SDTV, EDTV, HDTV 720p, 1080i 1080p what to expect at price points. Such as a sub $1000 buck TV at walmart will mostlikely have a native res of 768p and will upconvert or downconvert and incoming signal.

So I guess what do you think does this type of news help or hurt.. They should have gone to mutiple store showing the varations of TVs which their is a lot of...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Because it cannot be explained in 30 seconds.

--- CHAS

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
All news is equally mutated like that. You just notice it more on tech news because you know what reality is. Now consider what impact that kind of watered-down reporting has with all the other, more significant news...

·
Registered
792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerx /forum/post/0

At the end he said their are 2 ways to to GET HD either cable or sattilite. Forgetting all about OTA. I don't know what it is but no one wants to talk about it.

Because Best Buy can't make money off of OTA other than selling antennas.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
As mentioned, nearly all television news is on that level... for every topic. You notice it about HDTVs because you know a lot about the topic. But the coverage is equally weak/misleading on pretty much every other topic.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
That's part of the problem with HD, people don't want to hit a learning curve = to buying their first PC, just to gain a PQ & AQ "upgrade" in their entertainment system. Combine that with some steep price-tags and a format war, and it's not hard to see why people are staying away in droves.

That said Fox should be required to use quotation marks on the word "News"

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It does seem like a lot of the news is just "fluff" with a few good points here and their. Fox also seems to be big on american idol (a show I hate) they will give 1/2 hour over all to that. Yet somthing like the ending of NTSC OTA in a few years isn't as important.

When the time comes a lot of the OTA pepole won't know what to do.

I have sat. But still mantain a OTA feed. As I get more channels then NTSC OTA and the PQ is 3X better the D* so called HD..

And you wonder why other countrys dum down their movies for us americans.. One look at the news really shows this. Or all the reality TV for that matter.

BBC news for example is to the point for most part..

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Keep in mind this place is full of gear heads. This is the same place that yells "I wont buy that POS it wont handle 24fps".

This is the same place that pauses a scene to proove there is a problem with a shot of a staircase.

What did you expect them to say? The audience is joe average consumer.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urza /forum/post/0

Keep in mind this place is full of gear heads. This is the same place that yells "I wont buy that POS it wont handle 24fps".

This is the same place that pauses a scene to proove there is a problem with a shot of a staircase.

What did you expect them to say? The audience is joe average consumer.

I would add that if Joe Average Consumer is getting his information about new technology from the news (local or national), then they are going to be extremely misinformed. Hmm, I wonder if that is why Best Buy participated in the piece

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
You guys don't understand how the news business works.

A news editor comes to work one day and, somehow, high definition has floated to the top of his mental cesspool.

Since all consumer electronics are considered lightweight news, the story idea--"Hey. Let's do something about this HD thing."--gets assigned to one of the junior people on staff, or the newsroom bimbo, or the goofy guy who still wasn't QUITE goofy enough to be the weatherman. NONE of them know anything about HD, but they have half a day to put a story together.

They find the first, easiest source; do a quick interview; and, voila, instant expertise and 45 seconds toward the end of the 6:30pm or 10pm newscast.

So in that context, you're surprised if these stories are inevitably uninformed?

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsmith /forum/post/0

Unhappily, subjects like Social Security, Iraq, global warming, terrorism are treated with equal ignorance and fluff.

Print and web media are much better at providing information than TV news.

True, they really should cover that better. Why is amercain idol cuts more important. I don't care about that. If I did I'd watch the show. And those that care do. So why re-inform everyone.

I just think with the average joe getting their HD info this way. When analog OTA is shut off its going to be bad. As no one will really know what's happening.

They should atleast start to avertize on analog OTA. Like in 2 years you will no longer be able to get analog OTA. In order to prevent this look in to a ATSC OTA tunner. Or ask you local sat/cable provider about details..

But I see how its one of those subjects that just pops up now and then and so they just slap somthing together. Its like grade school projects. Were pictures are more important then the details...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.