AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one have any idea why the H dish can't provide a guide that matches the programing they provide? I just finished watching 99% of the Academy awards. The damn recording stopped just as the best actor was going to be read and I have the default padding at 3 min. past and still their guide is whacked. What the H is the problem, dish is such crap these days, in many other was as well. I remember when they put cable to shame but that is sure not the case anymore.

If it wasn't for their BS 2 year agreement crap I would be back to cable and they know their service is crap or they wouldn't be imposing the 2 year agreement.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
They have no way of knowing how long a live show is going to go over.

AFAIK, though, they (like nearly everybody else) get their EPG data from one or two "clearinghouses"....Titan TV and Tribune Media Services come to mind.

These companies just compile and distribute the info that is supplied by program producers, networks and stations.

Note that the ATSC specs call for the ability of stations to update EPG info "on the fly", but I don't know of any satellite or cable providers who can use that broadcast data to dynamically update their EPGs yet.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
And to expand on what Kenglish just said, most other satellite and cable companies get their EPG data from the same places. Chances are you would have missed out on the same stuff if you had any other providers DVR. I do know D*'s receivers will put up a warning when you try to record a live event, and asks if you want to add an extra 30 min to the recording in case it runs over, not sure if other providers do that or not.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker /forum/post/18270815

I do know D*'s receivers will put up a warning when you try to record a live event, and asks if you want to add an extra 30 min to the recording in case it runs over, not sure if other providers do that or not.

TiVo does this as well when a program requested to be recorded is indicated as a live event of some kind. I believe the default pad period may even be 30 minutes, in fact. Dunno about Moxi or provider DVR boxes.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
My Comcast DVR in the ATL area does the same thing, a warning with a live program...asking for extra time...

·
Registered
179 Posts
This is true, but I have on occassion tried to get information on a movie playing and it was the wrong movie or one that had already gone off the air.

It has not happened often, but I have noticed it at least twice.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance /forum/post/18269406

Does any one have any idea why the H dish can't provide a guide that matches the programing they provide?

As others have noted, welcome to live TV. I have been recording network programming for many years and schedule the start 1 minute early and end 1 minute late for normal scheduled programming. For many events, Olympics for example, I set the recording to end at least 32 minutes beyond the scheduled end time.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Of course they couldn't compensate for a live program that goes over the programs scheduled time ....or could they? 10 years or so ago I had the best DVR ever made (IMO) and it used show based recording. Doesn't matter how long the show is cause it looks at the show not the time. So they decide to air a off schedule show, an extra special airing, like they did with 20/20 this week, 2 hours instead of the usual 1 hour. With show based recording it would recorded the 2nd hour as well as the normal hour.

Some of you will remember ReplayTV.

Maybe there is a technical reason they can't do that now but I sure wish someone would make a DVR with Show based recording.

BTW that is not the only reason dish suck.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance /forum/post/18274415

Maybe there is a technical reason they can't do that now but I sure wish someone would make a DVR with Show based recording.

BTW that is not the only reason dish suck.

If you look at the guide you will notice a logo that says TV Guide , that is where Dish is getting their program guide information from (or they used too).

IMO, DirecTV, Dish and cable sucks because of over compression and little al carte programming, but those are separate issues. I dropped DirecTV and Dish, now its Blu-ray, CBS via OTA and PBS via DVB-S, all in HD

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I have my Dish 622 set to record 5 minutes past the scheduled end of a show. I realized that the Oscars always go way over so I changed it to go 30 minutes past the scheduled end. The Oscars stopped 1 minute before the end of my extended recording. However, the message is if you know a show that can go over make the adjustment manually. The DVR automatically records an extra 1 hour for sports events for this very reason.

Rick R

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland /forum/post/18277703

IMO, DirecTV, Dish and cable sucks because of over compression and little al carte programming, but those are separate issues. I dropped DirecTV and Dish, now its Blu-ray, CBS via OTA and PBS via DVB-S, all in HD

I would be right there with you except for Scifi, Discovery, A&E and a few others you can only get on Sat or cable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.