AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The computing power, memory, and feature support of HD players is pretty much unmatched in the CE universe, so.....

Why in the $%^&$% can't the things do something as simple as resume play when you stop a movie and then restart????????

I've heard some lame explanations concerning the complexity of figuring out PIP status, subtitles, etc., but to me it doesn't make sense. How hard could it be to follow some logic like this:

1. POWER OFF. Can we identify this disk? Can we figure out where in the movie we are? If NO to either, power down anyway. If YES, save the state, power down, and:

2. POWER ON. Can we identify this disk? If NO, start up as usual. If YES:

3. Do we have a saved state for this disk? If NO, start up as usual. If YES:

4. Resume play where we left off.

Am I missing some algorithm or hardware limitation needed to do this that's beyond currently available human brainpower?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
It's not the players it's the way HD discs are authored.

I know it sucks but there's nothing the CE manufacturers can do.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
i really hate this feature as well.... i dont know why they would break functionality from dvd.

even the download services can resume play.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviegeek /forum/post/13009548

It's not the players it's the way HD discs are authored.

I know it sucks but there's nothing the CE manufacturers can do.

What is it about the disk structure that would prevent it? On the PS3 it can resume play as long as you don't power down or remove the disk. You can quit the movie, play a game, etc. and then restart where you left off, so there must be a way to read where you are in the movie They just don't write it to permanent storage.

Actually, if you think about it, how could the player display where you are on the timeline, or jump to a scene, if they couldn't determine where you were now and how to seek to where you want to go?

·
Registered
421 Posts
This has been discussed a 1000 times. Any title that's "Advanced Authored" on either format needs to add in the extra code to allow this function. For whatever reason none of the studios are doing anything about this. Well except for the ones that do not use any advanced features. Older Lionsgate and other Blu-Ray titles just had Regular DVD menus. A number of HD-DVD imports are this way as well.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
DO what I have done... ADAPT!! When you are going to stop a movie (which I do VERY VERY VERY rarely) I have a dedicated button on my remote for "BOOKMARK", vuala, next time I restart the system I hit "Bookmarks" and I am taken directly back to my spot I stopped at the previous night. In the end it works just as well as resume but takes two more button clicks.... NO BIG DEAL.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I don't know.........why don't we still use rotary phones?

Good thing some aren't in charge, we'd still be drawing on cave walls.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I was hoping for a little more technical answer. Sorry I missed the 1000 times it's already been discussed.

Bookmarks I believe are a disk feature (maybe an HD DVD feature? I don't know) and most disks don't have them AFAIK.

Maybe the PS3 doesn't really "stop" the movie, but just pauses it. But it does resume on any disk I've tried it, so it's not dependent on authoring.

·
Registered
421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Schauer /forum/post/13009718

Well, I was hoping for a little more technical answer. Sorry I missed the 1000 times it's already been discussed.

Bookmarks I believe are a disk feature (maybe an HD DVD feature? I don't know) and most disks don't have them AFAIK.

Maybe the PS3 doesn't really "stop" the movie, but just pauses it. But it does resume on any disk I've tried it, so it's not dependent on authoring.

Maybe this will help... At least for the HD-DVD side. I haven't heard anything from the blu side but I am guessing its the same issue.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post12397096

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, that's the kind of info I was looking for.

I'm not sure how much of this pertains to Blu-ray, and I'm not convinced it couldn't be overcome by defaulting to just starting at the beginning if there was a question about the state, or by having a "start at the beginning" override feature in case it didn't work, but hey that's just me.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
It's called laziness. Seriously whoever thought about leaving out the autoresume feature should be fired and never allowed to work in the industry again.

·
Registered
421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Schauer /forum/post/13009848

Thanks, that's the kind of info I was looking for.

I'm not sure how much of this pertains to Blu-ray, and I'm not convinced it couldn't be overcome by defaulting to just starting at the beginning if there was a question about the state, or by having a "start at the beginning" override feature in case it didn't work, but hey that's just me.

The resume feature isn't one I typically use on either format but what use to be a "War" topic now plagues both sides.

I have only heard MS talk about their iHD, HDi or whatever they are calling it now when it comes to this. Java would be the blu side and I haven't heard a response from Sun or their insiders here go over it. Maybe Talk will see this dicussion and add some to it.

FYI here is more info from MS

http://blogs.msdn.com/amyd/archive/2...formation.aspx

·
Registered
5,022 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Schauer /forum/post/13009473

The computing power, memory, and feature support of HD players is pretty much unmatched in the CE universe, so.....

Why in the $%^&$% can't the things do something as simple as resume play when you stop a movie and then restart????????

That feature will be in the "final spec" of HD DVD Players.

My Panasonic BD30 resumes play even after turning the player off as long as it's not a JAVA enhanced disc.

·
Registered
18,844 Posts
Actually, some BD's from Lionsgate like Weeds and Dr Strange do have bookmarking as an undocumented feature. On your PS3 remote hit the different colored buttons and see what happens.

As for why it's not an option built into the PS3 to bookmark all disks, be it BDs or DVDs to your harddrive, that remains a mystery...

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Yeah, how hard could it be to have a hidden Bookmark "Slot 0" that is reserved for the player/movie to automatically bookmark your progress whenever you hit stop, then ask you if you want to continue from the bookmark when you hit play, deleting it if you don't?

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
This is one among the dozens of hurdles that will turn off potential buyers.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 /forum/post/13012405

This is one among the dozens of hurdles that will turn off potential buyers.

Yes. This one just happens to have an especially high stupid factor.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have to agree as well. For all the benefits HDM has, the LOSS of previous functionality will make people wonder "How is this better again?". I realize the reasons WHY it like this NOW, but it should NOT have been this way.

We can put guys on the moon (allegedly
), but can't resume a movie? Bad design on so many levels.

·
Registered
385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagouar /forum/post/13009575

i really hate this feature as well.... i dont know why they would break functionality from dvd.

even the download services can resume play.

A HUGE +1!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.