AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I open up MKVextract GUI 1.6.4.1 then load up an MKV that was made with MakeMKV. I select the PGS subtitle.

MKVextract always tells me "MKExtract cannot extract this kind of file"

Anybody been able to extract PGS subtitles from an MKV?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2G-Unit /forum/post/18188869

I open up MKVextract GUI 1.6.4.1 then load up an MKV that was made with MakeMKV. I select the PGS subtitle.

MKVextract always tells me "MKExtract cannot extract this kind of file"

Anybody been able to extract PGS subtitles from an MKV?

Has anybody been able to extract PGS subtitles?

·
Registered
489 Posts
can you not use a .srt file?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by michanecash /forum/post/18202734

can you not use a .srt file?

I've made some MKV's with MakeMKV. Which leaves the subtitles as PGS files. Now I neeed to extract the PGS files to convert to whatever other format.

Problem is, I can't extract the PGS subtitles from the MKV.

·
Registered
489 Posts
are you burning them to a DVD or are you just trying to get subtitles to play through a PC?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by michanecash /forum/post/18203250

are you burning them to a DVD or are you just trying to get subtitles to play through a PC?

Just trying to get showing on my PC through MPC-HC. I should have orignally used MikeEby's program to get the forced subtitles. That's the way I do it now.

·
Registered
489 Posts
My brother in-law is Deaf and we sometimes watch content on my PC through my TV. I use both Media Player Classic and VLC player.

I use this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SubRip
http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/srt

I believe you just add the file extension .srt to it, put it in the folder with your media and burn or play it and it should work. I use it frequently.

If you want to send me a PM with exactly what media you are trying to put on there, I may be able to give you more help.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by michanecash /forum/post/18211242

My brother in-law is Deaf and we sometimes watch content on my PC through my TV. I use both Media Player Classic and VLC player.

I use this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SubRip
http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/srt

I believe you just add the file extension .srt to it, put it in the folder with your media and burn or play it and it should work. I use it frequently.

If you want to send me a PM with exactly what media you are trying to put on there, I may be able to give you more help.

Thing is, the subtitles is in the MKV made by MakeMKV. I need to take the subtitles out of MKV & make a seperate file.

·
Registered
489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2G-Unit /forum/post/18219555

Thing is, the subtitles is in the MKV made by MakeMKV. I need to take the subtitles out of MKV & make a seperate file.

Gotcha, I have reached my expertise on this type of issue. I doubt you will get the answer here. You might have to move onto a nerdier forum than this to get your answer.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Should be able to demux with TSMuxer to get them by themselves

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
What I do is simply get a subtitle file like a .srt and then set your codec or fav player like MPC-HC to load up that .srt file with the movie and you're all set.

·
Registered
332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87 /forum/post/18787562

What I do is simply get a subtitle file like a .srt and then set your codec or fav player like MPC-HC to load up that .srt file with the movie and you're all set.

will that work with forced subtitles?

·
Registered
3,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojangles139 /forum/post/18788140

will that work with forced subtitles?

Yes, just get the forced subtitle file instead. I've done this with both 2012 and Disctrict 9. I just have .srt files for the forced subs. I like this route simply because it gives me more flexability in what subtitles I want. And if you want to have general subtitles for all movies you can have them download automatically with MCM when you get your cover art and other metadata.

I know this won't work for everyone but it may for some.

·
Registered
332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87 /forum/post/18789095

Yes, just get the forced subtitle file instead. I've done this with both 2012 and Disctrict 9. I just have .srt files for the forced subs. I like this route simply because it gives me more flexability in what subtitles I want. And if you want to have general subtitles for all movies you can have them download automatically with MCM when you get your cover art and other metadata.

I know this won't work for everyone but it may for some.

hrm... interesting. where do you put the file? just in the folder with the .mkv file?

·
Registered
3,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojangles139 /forum/post/18789453

hrm... interesting. where do you put the file? just in the folder with the .mkv file?

Yep, same folder as the .mkv file along with your backdrops and such. If you tell MCM to get them that is where they put it. However I think you could put them just about anywhere. FFDshow and VOBSub both have configurations of what type of subtitle files to look for and where (default is usually in the "root" folder of the movie itself). So I have Shark007 codec pack which has both and they are easily configured. So if I turn on VOBSub then I get the subtitle (just forced) in Win 7 Media Center/Media Browser.

If you use MPC-HC there is a similar setting you can turn on to look for subtitle files and even swap between different ones (if I remember correctly).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts