AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HDTV Tuners seem impossible to find. I've been to Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA, Grant's, and Fry's. Every time I was greeted with a blank stare when I asked where their set top boxes were. How did you buy yours? I need a QAM tuner for the Superbowl!

·
Registered
3,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGElster /forum/post/0

HDTV Tuners seem impossible to find. I've been to Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA, Grant's, and Fry's. Every time I was greeted with a blank stare when I asked where their set top boxes were. How did you buy yours? I need a QAM tuner for the Superbowl!

I like my Humax. It has quirks - like output must be set on the box (480i, 720p, 1080p) and can't be set via the remote.

Other than that - for about $189 - it's great.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Quote:

Have you looked at the Samsung DTB-H260F ? I have this and it works great. I was not able to use the QAM however because my cable co.(Comcast) scrambles the signals. I do get about 25 OTA stations with 8 being HD. Reception is crystal clear. I bought mine from BB in the Chicago burbs. Since getting this unit, I've since scraped Comcast and now have dish 1000. Best of both worlds and couldn't be happier....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyz /forum/post/0

Have you looked at the Samsung DTB-H260F ? I have this and it works great. I was not able to use the QAM however because my cable co.(Comcast) scrambles the signals. I do get about 25 OTA stations with 8 being HD. Reception is crystal clear. I bought mine from BB in the Chicago burbs. Since getting this unit, I've since scraped Comcast and now have dish 1000. Best of both worlds and couldn't be happier....

The H260F is the only box that CC, BB, and Abt carry. It's listed as out of stock at every online retailer and goes for over MSRP on eBay. It's crazy. Also I'm in the Chicago 'Burbs w/ Comcast and my Bravia's built-in tuner pulls in everything.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Find an old D* HD Tuner @ Samsung TS 360 does a great job as an OTA....you do not need to be a D* subscriber to use (but you will need the access card to navigate the menus)

Check EBay

·
Registered
671 Posts

Quote:

The H260F is the only box that CC, BB, and Abt carry. It's listed as out of stock at every online retailer and goes for over MSRP on eBay. It's crazy. Also I'm in the Chicago 'Burbs w/ Comcast and my Bravia's built-in tuner pulls in everything.

I've been assured by experts here that there is no market for such a product

I found mine by checking CircuitCity's website everyday. They have a slick listing of the stores near you with the stock situation at each store. They showed up last Sunday around here and I went down and picked one up. Checking today they're down to only 3 out of the 10 closest stores with stock.

The QAM tuner works very well with my comcast cable. Haven't gotten around to playing with the over the air antenna yet.

I'm not really overwhelmed with HDTV. What I'm really getting to here is the available free programming leaves a lot to be desired. In fact, if you don't find one by the Superbowl, I'd say wait a few months and get it for deep discount when everyone has it in stock. There's supposed to be some more tuners and HD-DVRs coming out this year, so if you wait you might score something better.

PS It comes with component video and audio cables but no HDMI cable.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 /forum/post/0

Get an STB from the cable co and cancel a month later. In a few months, tuner options should be better.

I went to three Comcast payment centers yesterday and all of them told me that I'd have to get on a waiting list if I wanted the HD or DVR box.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless33 /forum/post/0

I found mine by checking CircuitCity's website everyday. They have a slick listing of the stores near you with the stock situation at each store. They showed up last Sunday around here and I went down and picked one up. Checking today they're down to only 3 out of the 10 closest stores with stock.

That's what I've been doing. CC/BB/Abt.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
I bought mine at the nearest CC a bit over a month ago, right after they showed up in the online store-finder. Then they went out of stock in all the stores in an 80 mile radius. Just for fun, I checked again just now, and supposedly eight out of ten stores now have them.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless33 /forum/post/0

I've been assured by experts here that there is no market for such a product

The QAM tuner works very well with my comcast cable. Haven't gotten around to playing with the over the air antenna yet.

I'm not really overwhelmed with HDTV. What I'm really getting to here is the available free programming leaves a lot to be desired. In fact, if you don't find one by the Superbowl, I'd say wait a few months and get it for deep discount when everyone has it in stock. There's supposed to be some more tuners and HD-DVRs coming out this year, so if you wait you might score something better.

PS It comes with component video and audio cables but no HDMI cable.

So it does ATSC/QAM/NTSC? Or does it just do QAM and ATSC?

·
Registered
246 Posts
KGElster,

There seems to be a conspiracy between the providers (cable and / or sat) and the resellers (BB/CC) to steer people away from OTA HD. If one were to go into a Costco, for example, their info says you need cable or satellite to receive HD signals, no mention that HD is broadcast over OTA.

With incentives at BB or CC to sign up a person to a particular sat provider, there seems to be little motivation to sell an OTA box, despite Samsung's new 260.

This is just my 2 cents opinion.

Miner

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been searching for an OTA revciever also, specifically since I'm going back to school and can't currently afford DTV. I have an HD compatible projector and want to watch my TV on it, while also having the ability to watch on my old 32" non-HD tv.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner /forum/post/0

KGElster,

There seems to be a conspiracy between the providers (cable and / or sat) and the resellers (BB/CC) to steer people away from OTA HD. If one were to go into a Costco, for example, their info says you need cable or satellite to receive HD signals, no mention that HD is broadcast over OTA.

With incentives at BB or CC to sign up a person to a particular sat provider, there seems to be little motivation to sell an OTA box, despite Samsung's new 260.

This is just my 2 cents opinion.

Miner

Knowing that Best Buy now sells only cables that carry a huge margin (Monster), I'm inclined to believe you. At the same time, the Samsung tuner is in short supply since it's selling for $40+ over retail on eBay.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts

Quote:

...Best Buy now sells only cables that carry a huge margin...

Best Buy wanted $32 for a cable for my printer. I drove to Wallmart and bought one for under $9.

Since I bill $75 per hour for my time, and since that journey displaced billable time, I actually lost money driving 4 miles to Wallmart to buy the lower priced cable, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 /forum/post/0

In a few months, tuner options should be better.

Got that right.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=786948

By the way, at my local Best Buy, the H260F that I got was in the same section as the D* receivers. I don't know if the same applies with Circuit City, but with either place, you might as well ask an employee where the D* units are and look in that region.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.