AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am really new to HDTV... just bought one last Saturday; Samsung HLN507w1x/xaa.

This pup's component inputs are supposed to accept 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i.

Cable guy was here Wednesday and installed Motorola HDTC (5100 I believe). 16:9 HDTV is incredible... more than I imagined.

So after he leaves I start to play with the box he left and notice in setup that its output is set to 1080i. My limited knowledge tells me since the sammy is native 720p. it should look better to set the box to ouput 720p.

No such luck, it works in every setting BUT 720p. When set to 720p the set looks like it is trying to sync up (picture goes away, comes back in bits and pieces, goes away, repeat etc.). I can't even see the setup menu on this setting until I toggle back to one of the other settings.

Now it does look great set to 1080i, but why can't it lock up to the 720p setting?

-ss

· Registered
40 Posts
I've got my Motorla 5100HD pushing 720p to my HLN507w1 through component, and no problem like that... although occasionally I do get freeze ups of hd material (kind of frustrating). I lose Sound & Pic for a second or 2 when this happens, so I'm not sure if DVI would help. I think it's the Moto box.

Possible you've got a bad one? Call your cable company and ask if there's any way to have your firmware for the box updated (they can push that stuff through to you) first and if that doesn't help, ask for a new box.

Check out the Motorola threads for further help:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...?s=&forumid=25

· Coyote Waits
27,309 Posts
I would try to get it working just because I couldn't stand that it doesn't.

I'm not sure 720p through analog component will improve anything though. Before the HD signal leaves the STB it has to be converted from digital to analog because you are using a component connection. Then the TV has to convert the signal to digital before it converts it to 720p for display.

If you were able to use DVI then if the STB was set to output 720p there would be no analog stage. That would mean that you would have a totally digital path all the way to the screen and fewer conversion errors. That should give you better PQ. To do that your STB must have a DVI output port and your cable company has to be able to support DVI.

· Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Ol Dirty Wes
I've got my Motorla 5100HD pushing 720p to my HLN507w1 through component, and no problem like that... although occasionally I do get freeze ups of hd material (kind of frustrating). I lose Sound & Pic for a second or 2 when this happens, so I'm not sure if DVI would help. I think it's the Moto box.

Possible you've got a bad one? Call your cable company and ask if there's any way to have your firmware for the box updated (they can push that stuff through to you) first and if that doesn't help, ask for a new box.
Wes,

They were out here again today with a new box... same result. Both technicians that have come out so far seem pretty clueless (neither has ever tried to set up this box with any setting other than the default 1080i).

2 calls to ComCast has still not resulted in locating an individual that could say one way or the other if this 720p should be outputable from there box/network/SW/FW. They are simply clueless. The guy that came out today was supposed to be an advanced tech.

Could it be that this is just not supported on the ComCast Placerville network? Does that make any sense?

Or could it simply be a firmware/software issue. Box says its S/W Ver. = 51.42 - 2002; Firmware = 07.07.

What does your box say?

· Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by htwaits
I would try to get it working just because I couldn't stand that it doesn't.
Yeah... I am the same way

Quote:
If you were able to use DVI then if the STB was set to output 720p there would be no analog stage. That would mean that you would have a totally digital path all the way to the screen and fewer conversion errors. That should give you better PQ. To do that your STB must have a DVI output port and your cable company has to be able to support DVI.
My recollection is the box does have a DVI out. But I also recall it is unsupported... at least the acc. pack that came with it had every interface (both audio and video) cable known to man except DVI.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.