AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Central Scrutinizer
8,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the TheaterTek forum, but it seems that no one has answer, so I figured I would try here.

The title says it all. I have 2 different computers, each with a 6600GT (one AGP and one PCIe) and neither one of them will work properly in non-renderless mode, though both of them work fine in VMR renderless. I really need to be able to use non-renderless for navigating both Avia and DVE for a lot of calibration work that I am now studying. Both of these discs are far easier to navigate by simply right clicking and going directly to the title and chapter of the pattern I need.

Non-renderless mode works for a short time, but then the video just seems to go into a horrendously slow stutter mode. The only way I can regain control is to exit TT and restart, and then it will run fine again for a few minutes.

I am running XP Pro SP2 and have tried various Nvidia drivers, all with no success. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Hey Bob - I forgot to ask - does this happen in all deinterlacing modes? Smart, Video, Film?

Also, will (temporarily) disabling DXVA help?

·
Central Scrutinizer
8,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Hey Bob - I forgot to ask - does this happen in all deinterlacing modes? Smart, Video, Film?
It happens in any deinterlacing mode.

Quote:
Also, will (temporarily) disabling DXVA help?
I haven't tried that, but I will!

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
Bob, if your display resolution is 1080i (right? 720p should work anyway) you could try VGA (have you?), which seems to work at that res., as has been reported by some.

·
Central Scrutinizer
8,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tulli, my display res is 720p, and yes, I have tried VGA as well...same problem.

Keep the ideas coming, though! :)

This exact problem exists with two of my friends who also are using 6600GTs. The thing is, all three of us were using ATI cards which worked without issue (I still have a 9700 Pro in one machine working flawlessly), and when we switched to 6600GTs, all three of us developed the same problem. This is what leads me to believe that it is a 6600GT issue, not to mention that I seem to remember other people reporting the same problem a while back.

I would simply switch back to an ATI card, but for the advanced calibration work I am studying, ISF approves the Nvidia cards for calibration work, so I need to get my 6600GT working correctly. Trust me, I'm not a glutton for punishment...I would have gladly switched just to make this problem go away.

I even did a nuke and pave, and in a fresh system with just enough stuff installed to get TT up and running, the problem is there, so it isn't some other 3rd party app that I've installed either. Most people report issues with renderless mode - while my friends and I all have issues with non-renderless...go figure.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Bob,

This isn't a 6600GT issue, this ia a Nvidia 6xxx & 7xxx issue. I have two 6800 Ultra's in an AMD FX-57 machine, and it stutters to death in VMR when full screen (renderless) is not enabled.

In fact, Nvidia recommended to Anandtech during their testing that they use Overlay mode.

If the picture weren't so beautiful, I would switch back to ATI in a second. I'm counting down the days until ATI's next product lunch (R520) which is rumored to have licensed some key technology to better support deinterlacing, scaling and decompression at HD resolutions.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitzboy
Bob,

This isn't a 6600GT issue, this ia a Nvidia 6xxx & 7xxx issue. I have two 6800 Ultra's in an AMD FX-57 machine, and it stutters to death in VMR when full screen (renderless) is not enabled.

In fact, Nvidia recommended to Anandtech during their testing that they use Overlay mode.

If the picture weren't so beautiful, I would switch back to ATI in a second. I'm counting down the days until ATI's next product lunch (R520) which is rumored to have licensed some key technology to better support deinterlacing, scaling and decompression at HD resolutions.
I don't want to sound like an A$$ but i have a 6600GT and it works fine, unless im missing something in your post.

I run ZP in renderless and non-renderless just fine with D-scaler and

ffdshow

·
Registered
665 Posts
The nVidia cards run VMR9 so slow that it is hard to get smooth video playback. Most people seem to be able to at least get 720p from it but 1080i over HDTV connections has yet to be done without FS renderless. If you are have having issues at 720p maybe beefing up your system will help? What are you running now? Otherwise do as the user above said and run Overlay.

·
Central Scrutinizer
8,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys, the malfunctioning I am talking about is extremely severe. When it runs fine, it runs fine, but then after a while it slows down the same as it would if I were using 100% CPU for another task and then trying to watch a DVD or HD at the same time. I'm talking about 30 seconds or more just to move to the next chapter. I'm talking about audio that continues at normal speed and then a minute later seeing the video move.

These symptoms do not show up while it is working correctly, and if all you do is to start up TT and watch a movie without performing any navigation, then chances are it will play back perfectly. These symptoms occur only when there is a large amount of navigation taking place, like you are searching for a certain scene in a movie and you have no idea where it is, or you are using DVE or Avia and switching from pattern to pattern. Once the symptoms start up, then they don't stop until either TT is restarted or the PC is rebooted.

I would just chalk it up to my ignorance or one problem computer, but it has happened on two different computers of mine and with two friends' computers. So either we are all nuts or there is a definite problem here. I also have read posts from others on this and the TT forum reporting similar problems. though without seeing their setups, I cannot say if it is the exact same problem.

I guess what I'm trying to find out is:

1. Has anyone officially admitted the existence of this problem?

2. Does anyone know what the cause of this problem is?

3. Is there a known solution?

4. Is there a solution in the works?

If the answer to question #1 is "no", then there is no point in going on. If anyone else reading this thread has similar or the same problems as I have described, please post here and let others know that this problem is real and that it needs to be dealt with.

Also, if you have a 6600GT using TheaterTek 2.1.1 in non-renderless mode and can navigate freely *all the time* using the mouse's right click menu, please also post here. I'd especially like to hear what kind of rigs that they are running that are working correctly.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sorel
Guys, the malfunctioning I am talking about is extremely severe. When it runs fine, it runs fine, but then after a while it slows down the same as it would if I were using 100% CPU for another task and then trying to watch a DVD or HD at the same time. I'm talking about 30 seconds or more just to move to the next chapter. I'm talking about audio that continues at normal speed and then a minute later seeing the video move.

These symptoms do not show up while it is working correctly, and if all you do is to start up TT and watch a movie without performing any navigation, then chances are it will play back perfectly. These symptoms occur only when there is a large amount of navigation taking place, like you are searching for a certain scene in a movie and you have no idea where it is, or you are using DVE or Avia and switching from pattern to pattern. Once the symptoms start up, then they don't stop until either TT is restarted or the PC is rebooted.

I would just chalk it up to my ignorance or one problem computer, but it has happened on two different computers of mine and with two friends' computers. So either we are all nuts or there is a definite problem here. I also have read posts from others on this and the TT forum reporting similar problems. though without seeing their setups, I cannot say if it is the exact same problem.

I guess what I'm trying to find out is:

1. Has anyone officially admitted the existence of this problem?

2. Does anyone know what the cause of this problem is?

3. Is there a known solution?

4. Is there a solution in the works?

If the answer to question #1 is "no", then there is no point in going on. If anyone else reading this thread has similar or the same problems as I have described, please post here and let others know that this problem is real and that it needs to be dealt with.

Also, if you have a 6600GT using TheaterTek 2.1.1 in non-renderless mode and can navigate freely *all the time* using the mouse's right click menu, please also post here. I'd especially like to hear what kind of rigs that they are running that are working correctly.

I am running

6600GT

Asus A8N-sli premium

1gb DDR400 2-2-2-5

Athlon 64 3200+ Venice

Running windows media center and TheaterTek 2.0.6.8

I also have

6800GT

Dell 8400

1gb DDR2 533

P4 3.0ghz 1mb cache

Running windows media center and TheaterTek 2.0.6.8

If you tell me EXACTLY what setting you have in theatertek i can try it out. I know how to adjust between renderless and nonrenderless in ZP but not TT Just send me some screen shots of your configuration. and ill try it out over the weekend.

you can send them to brianmott AT gmail DOT COM

·
Central Scrutinizer
8,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Brian,

Thanks for the offer to help!

I figured I would post the settings right here so that anyone else who might be interested can give it a try.

Here are the settings that you requested:

Video output: VMR9 for all three (DVD, High-Def, and Media)

Deinterlacing Control: Smart

Deinterlacing mode: Best available

Post processing Primary: ffdShow (20050303-sse) (Same problem with or without ffdShow)

Secondary: Disabled

TS streams Audio: Auto

Advanced Video:

Use DXVA is checked

nothing else is checked

Buffering: normal

Anything else you need?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Video output: VMR9 for all three (DVD, High-Def, and Media)

Deinterlacing Control: Auto

Deinterlacing mode: Best available

Post processing Primary: ffdShow (ffdshow-20040801a_preview_SSE2)

Secondary: Disabled

TS streams Audio: AC3

Advanced Video:

Use DXVA is checked

These are my settings and i don't have problems on either of my rigs.

i have version 2.0.6.8, so the only differences i can see are TT version and Auto versus smart. I have read that a lot of people are having problems with smart, not really with your symptoms though.

If you could email me the patch to the new version of TT then i can test that out too for you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the same problem. I think its a driver problem... VMR9 worked back in the 66.XX drivers, since then VMR9 does not work correctly and I use overlay for now. It is not a huge deal for me. I am running Sage on a 1080i resolution on a 6600GT as well infact it is almost the exact same setup as Bob. If anyone finds a solution please let me know.

·
Central Scrutinizer
8,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Andrew has tried and can't recreate the problem...:(

Quote:
If you could email me the patch to the new version of TT then i can test that out too for you.
Hi Brian,

It's too big to attach in an email, but here's the link to get it:

http://www.theatertek.com/Products/D...downloads.html

Quote:
I have the same problem. I think its a driver problem...
I've tried quite a lot of drivers, but I never considered going as far back as the 66.xx's. I keep hoping that either the next driver release or next TT release will suddenly fix the problem, but so far no luck.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I've a a simular topic open under the title VMR9 and Nvidia 7800 Card, not working correctly over component video, droped frames, so this problem seems to persist into trhe 7 series cards. Really this is just plan unacceptable as it can play any game out there at 1600x1200 with 2x AA and 16x AF yet can not display VMR9 at 1080i.

ERIC

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
egandt, have you tried running the JudderTest 1.1 software? Do a search and you should find the link to download it. You need to install Powerstrip to use it however.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Are you confirming that this "wonderboy 7800" can't handle 1080i material properly either? I had my doubts. The 6600GT does a good job until anything fast-motion (sports or auto-racing, high speed action etc) is displayed, then it will make you almost dizzy if you watch it long enough. I am using MCE2005 and have tried every setting with Nvidia Decoder to get rid of this issue to no avail. Ready to drop-kick the whole damn machine.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Thats what I've found so far, but then I've only had a few hours to play with it I will try jittertest and see whta it says, howevr I'm out of town for the next week, so it will be a while before I can give it a try.

ERIC

·
Registered
349 Posts
Just a simple try,

I have had disks from time to time that for some reason just would not play correcty.

I do a full rip of the disk to in file mode in another machine and play file from the HD in the problem machine.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
The 7800 can handle 1080I sources just fine and provides hardware assist for them. What it can't do and shares this limitation in common with all the other nVidia cards is play video smoothly and without tearing onto a 1080 display using VMR9 without using exclusive full screen mode.

This is not a driver issue, so I don't see it being resolved at any time.

NVidia has apparently made a decision that forces its customers to use exclusive full screen mode if they want to use VMR9 and have a 1080 display.

ATI doesn't have this restriction, but ATI doesn't have the image quality for video playback that nVidia has.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

There is nothing more I can say.....

Vern

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.