AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my 2 cents, it seems like there are alot of these projects out there trying to bring a cool interface for HTPCs. Well here is my idea, everyone works together. First consolidate groups to work on what they are good at, IE MythTv would do tv recording, I like freevo's interface they could do the over all interface thing, get people from Xine to help with DVD and movie playing and so on

But how to tie it all together, well i have been thinking, although i am not an expert i think the best way would to write a Desktop Enviorment (like KDE or Gnome). If it was set up correctly everything would just be like any programing running on KDE or Gnome. This allows for what i think is most important one program being able to over lay stuff ontop of other programs. For example i want to be able to watch a movie with a news ticker at the bottom or i want to be able to Instant Message while watching TV.

Now this is just the tip of the ice burg, but if you did somthing like that i think most of the code that already exist could be used no matter what languge

I am calling for all groups to not really merge but work on one thing and start a new group to work on what will tie them all together

If anyone out there wants to help me write up a proposal, i am a coder and i have alot of free time, i how ever lack the experance, i am mostly a non graphical programmer i work mostly with perl and php but i do know C and C++ and i am willing to learn, so if there is a guru out there who wouldn't mind being bugged alittle and answering my questions and point me in the right direction i would like to try to see if we can get all the teams working together

Anyway before any of that we need somthing to bring each team to show them and i get them all excited

just my two cents

·
Registered
59 Posts
Perl can definitely be used on the backend to execute various programs such as mpg123, and paranoia to initiate tasks such as mp3 playing and cd-ripping, and pass that information along to the gui layer.

However, I disagree. Drawing directly to the FB is a bad idea for now. This would require a monumentous amount of coding.

Since this is an ARCHITECTURE, I'd propose that we write a GUI layer for X first which will use a standard "protocol" to communicate with the other layers.

With this protocol in place, we can write all kinds of gui layers - framebuffer, php, perl (for use over a web-browser from a remote pc), etc.

I agree that X is antiquated, and not well suited for our purpose. BUT, it works on most hardware. Chances are that TV-out and OpenGL acceleration won't work under the framebuffer.

We could possibly write the client using OpenGL, which may be easier to modify to use the FB when we do it.

Let's get something that works before we get something that works well.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats why i said we should write a x client (desktop envorment) or just edit a simpler one (ie not kde or gnome) for our needs, that way you get all the good things of X with out all the overhead for things you don't need to do

·
Registered
330 Posts
Actually the original idea is a bit differnent. The middle layer is basically completely independent from the display device (FB or X). Since you can plug-in different GUIs into the architecture it would be easy to adapt it for different needs/display devices...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.