AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I mostly watch store bought or rented region 1 DVD's and occasionally burned with Nero DVD's is there a reason I need to change my Momitsu 880 to region-free? or for that matter turn the macrovision off?

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
In your case, no reason whatsoever.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, that's some pretty good reading. So, if I am understanding this correctly, if I do not remove macrovision the maximum the movie will play would be 480p? Otherwise, I could view it at 720p or 1080i? or even a custom resolution if I was so inclined.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Of course there is also the legitimate reason of content being released in one region and not in another.

I have a few DVD's released in another region that are not slated to ever be released as Region 1 discs...

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is illegitimate about anything said so far. I'm not being a wise guy. I just wanna make sure I'm not breaking any laws.

The reading I was referring to was the link inside the thread that rboster referred me to. It is a DVD FAQ located here:
http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html

very interesting reading

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
I'm not aware of macrovision having anything to do with upconversion. AFAIK, Macrovision prevents dvd from being copied over analog to something like a vcr or dvd recorder.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The cineaste will prefer having access to discs from all over the world. Some movies haven't been released in Region 1, some discs from other regions have more/better/different supplemental features, and some even have better transfers. Websites such as www.dvdbeaver.com track different versions of many movies (mostly art movies, but popular ones as well) and make recommendations. Illegal? Don't know. But a multi-region, PAL/NTSC player is essential for me, maybe not for you.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
I remember my first non region 1 dvd. It was the Japanese movie only DVD of the uncut Leon: The Professional that came in a cd jewel case that I got 5 years ago.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Mine was the Medusa release of Il Gattopardo, the only way in the world to see that movie at the time. It was later restored again (from different elements this time) and released by Criterion. But now I have stuff from everywhere. Some of the choices the studios make are bizarre: I have a Region 4 of Scorsese's Kundun only because the Region 1, which has the same transfer, isn't anamorphic. Duh!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.