AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given that I can get an open box TW100 (original model) for just a little more than a new HS-10, should I jump at the opportunity?

Though the specs put the the HS-10 in its own class, all of the first-hand reviews of the Epson show that its light output is far superior to the Sony's "1200 ANSI lumens". I've also read that the color and contrast of the TW100 are not bad at all (though not amazing), certainly placing this projector on par with the Sony. The Epson is also quieter and can do pixel-perfect 1:1 with little or no hassle.

However, there seem to be a number of folks who have already traded in their TW100 for either an L300u or an HS-10. What gives? Where's the glaring flaw in the Epson projector?

As I eagerly await the opporutnity to see this projector in the SF Bay area, any insight would be *greatly* appreciated...

- Jeff (just... can't... decide... argh!)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Jeff-

There are just as many posts of people "trading up" to a TW100 from an HS10 on this board, if you read around. Like the solution that that gives you? ;-) Anyway, I viewed both the HS10 and the Yamaha LPX-500 (apparently same internals as a TW100), and I much preferred the Yamaha (Epson). It had more "punch" to the picture, and the fan was quieter. However, I noticed pixellation on both units from about 1.5 screen lengths away. I wasn't able to slightly defocus either projector to see what that effect that would have. Anyway, consensus seems to be that the TW100 is slightly ahead of the HS10. If it were my dollar, I would go with the Epson.

Adam

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
As a very happy owner of the LPX-500, if I could do the shopping again, I would still readily choose the Yamaha/Epson over the HS10 (or, in fact, over pretty much any other LCD projectors). As professional reviews have stated more than once, one of the most salient strengths of the Yamaha/Epson, in addition to its color accuracy and shadow details (as an LCD), is its highly flexible user-mode adjustments. I do not think anybody would ever need to mess with the service-mode menus on these projectors, which I consider is a big plus.

However, I have to tell you that personally I am not interested in the HDPC compatibility at all. For anybody who cares about it, there is no choice...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.