AVS Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
I just wish someone would bring back affordable plasmas .
Yeah your right Crt had the longest run of any technology I guess it’s good there extinct except for vintage gamers . I had no idea they produced so much heat !!

We’re there crt over 42” I thought only projector TVs got 50”+ yeah no one could move a 85” crt impossible without a bobcat haha
Some ps1 games upcomvert on PS3 but I have no ps2 capability . Slim PS3 router WiFi’s broken

Ultimate bass lover !! si ht15 dvc.
Free the reptile aliens
There were some direct view CRT's up into the 60"'s, maybe low 70"'s, at one point in time. My family used to sale Zenith, RCA, and Sharp (and later LG). 27" CRT's were by far and away the most popular size for the average home, by a long shot(90's). I even only had a 27" up until 2004 when I finally moved to HD. We sold 36" models, as well, and they were heavy. It took two of us to safely move a tabletop 36" set. I couldn't imagine moving a direct view CRT that was 60" or bigger.

I don't miss CRT's in the least. Some may get nostalgic and wax poetically about them, but they can't touch today's OLED's(neither can Plasma) in sheer picture performance or any other aspect. And I say that as someone who has been working in television production for well over 20 years and has seen some of the best CRT's that money can buy.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Aren’t new oled suppposedly thin as a credit card ? Must break easily and be unfixable if any issues occur . Burn in prone ??
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One of my friends had one of his OLED field monitors(~7.7") break on him years ago. The actual panel detached from the chassis and swung away like a door(it was held on by some type of epoxy/adhesive) and it was literally as thin as a credit card(and these were touch screen panels, to boot). At the right angle, you almost could not see it. The top half of my B series(?) 55" LG OLED is only 1/8". Accidentally breaking it actually crossed my mind when I was hanging it, by myself.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
One of my friends had one of his OLED field monitors(~7.7") break on him years ago. The actual panel detached from the chassis and swung away like a door(it was held on by some type of epoxy/adhesive) and it was literally as thin as a credit card(and these were touch screen panels, to boot). At the right angle, you almost could not see it. The top half of my B series(?) 55" LG OLED is only 1/8". Accidentally breaking it actually crossed my mind when I was hanging it, by myself.
Wow so these things are so thin and frail got to a point we’re there too weak and break easily . Makes you wonder how cheap they are to make in china haha $70? For $2900 tv ?
What’s a dlp bulb cost are they worth the hassle? Some are light and can get them free often sometimes still got working bulb?
Crt were too bulky so died off , had longest run of any video technology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
The "modernization" of CRT was supposed to be SED. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-conduction_electron-emitter_display. It looked very promising having some of the key benefits of CRT in a large flat panel format. There was a lot of buzz about it early 2000s with prototypes at CES and consumer release imminent. And then it never happened. Not entirely sure why. There were some legal and cost issues I think.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
CRTs went extinct because of size and weight. Towards the end you could get 16:9 1080p crt's and they could have kept upping the resolution past that. But once people saw LCD and Plasma that were so thin and light that you could hang them on the wall, even though the picture was inferior, they moved to them very quickly.

·
Premium Member
1,747 Posts
CRTs went extinct because of size and weight. Towards the end you could get 16:9 1080p crt's and they could have kept upping the resolution past that. But once people saw LCD and Plasma that were so thin and light that you could hang them on the wall, even though the picture was inferior, they moved to them very quickly.
Don't forget power, compared to my LCD-TV it takes a lot of power to run that 40" HD CRT (AKA Space Heater).

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Don't forget power, compared to my LCD-TV it takes a lot of power to run that 40" HD CRT (AKA Space Heater).
Right of course. They were a flawed tech, but they could have continued, but as previously mentioned by others can you imagine moving a 60" crt LOL good god get a forklift and cut a hole in the wall

21 - 29 of 29 Posts