AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
For a turnkey solution, Squeezebox stuff is too complex. Software upgrades can break things, networks can be flakey, it runs on a lot of platforms, third party plugins, etc. The things that make it so flexible are the things that deter less technical users.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sonos is simply too easy to set up and I think it has an advantage in that it will work with most any NAS (Network Attached Storage). You don't have to have a computer running for tunes to live...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhardyman /forum/post/20845661

Sonos is simply too easy to set up and I think it has an advantage in that it will work with most any NAS (Network Attached Storage). You don't have to have a computer running for tunes to live...

Squeezebox does connect to NAS. The reason I want a custom installer is to setup a complex product. I can setup Sonos myself as a consumer. After setting up a Squeezebox, just lock the system based on customer's requirement.

I don't see the value proposition in getting Sonos setup.

·
Registered
243 Posts
People that pay professionals to install and configure things for them do so because they don't want to learn how to do it themselves.

If you are asking why installers choose Sonos over Squeezebox, I would imagine it is because they can make more money on one over the other.

·
Registered
52 Posts
sonos is a custom product that installers love to push because they can make money off of it. squeezebox is a low margin product that isn't available thru most methods of distribution. as a A/V shop owner myself i've been approached by sonos to sell their stuff, but thought it sounded horrible and declined to be dealer.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGroup /forum/post/20896400

sonos is a custom product that installers love to push because they can make money off of it. squeezebox is a low margin product that isn't available thru most methods of distribution. as a A/V shop owner myself i've been approached by sonos to sell their stuff, but thought it sounded horrible and declined to be dealer.

I'm impressed with your integrity involved in that simple decision. I'm glad there are business people like you in the marketplace. You get a gold star from me for that alone.

·
Registered
52 Posts
well thank you. i've often told my clients that every year something bigger badder and better is coming and that i never jump on a bandwagon. i'll let them know when it's something they should be interested in. i also let them know my intention is not to sell them a stack of gear, but to be their go to go guy, their friend's go to guy, their families, and whoever else they come across...i think you can only do that with honesty and trust, and those are the kinda things you earn over time. right now apple tv as limited as it is, offers exactly what most people need and want yet custom installers can't make a dime on the hardware...

personally, i'm waiting for someone to make a full fledged "content device". something that breaks the boundaries of a blu-ray that streams only pandora or a squeezebox that can access a few internet stations and stream from a NAS device. essentially a blu-ray player that can access the content that matters most, like sirius, pandora, slacker, spotify, rhapsody, ect, NAS devices, Internet radio, and give me a visualizer to boot. right now features are redundant between sources, yet not a true all in one exists anywhere. its just a few chips and contracts to be signed. hopefully someone like pioneer, denon, yamaha, steps up...

·
Banned
18,829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGroup /forum/post/20896400

sonos is a custom product that installers love to push because they can make money off of it. squeezebox is a low margin product that isn't available thru most methods of distribution.

What do you mean it is not available to them? That installers can't order them just like a consumer does? Of course they can. Installers routinely buy and install products that they buy that way. Think routers and IT equipment for example. Yes, their traditional distributors don't carry them but as I just noted, that doesn't mean they can't source it.

Yes, it is true that a custom installer, all else being equal, will want to sell something that has profit in it. Buying something from the same place and selling it to customer means there is no profit. But I have yet to see that mentioned as the reason Sonos is used even though you are right that profit is typically a major motivator in what custom companies carry. Sonos is used because it just works for the customer and the installer. It is a high quality product that fills a need for retrofit work. It works well. It looks good. So in that sense, there is not much broken in it to be fixed by something else from that point of view.

Quote:
as a A/V shop owner myself i've been approached by sonos to sell their stuff, but thought it sounded horrible and declined to be dealer.

Sounded terrible? Putting aside that in its typical application high-end performance is not important, what about these types of measurements is "horrible?" http://www.stereophile.com/content/s...m-measurements

"Overall, and taking into consideration their very affordable prices, both Sonos Zone Players offer very respectable measured performance.—John Atkinson"

The top reasons an integration company doesn't want to carry a product is that it is not available to them, their competitor/big box store carries it, they don't want to spend resources learning something new or it has no margin in it. Something not sounding good is a new one for me. I have yet to see it listed as a reason.

Did you then pick Squeezebox to sell instead?

·
Registered
986 Posts
Squeezebox can be controlled by third party system where as Sonos is a stand alone product. Yes many dealers use Sonos but when it comes to being used as a source on a whole house system Squeezebox is a better choice. I still don't understand why installers choose Sonos, the margin is crappy.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm
Sounded terrible? Putting aside that in its typical application high-end performance is not important, what about these types of measurements is "horrible?" http://www.stereophile.com/content/s...m-measurements
?

I'm not sure I understand what those measurements or John Atkinson's final assessment have to do with it sounding horrible to him.

·
Banned
18,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski
I'm not sure I understand what those measurements have to do with it sounding horrible to him.
That makes two of us in not understanding each other.
If something sounds horrible, surely something in the measurements would point to that. It is not like he is making a tiny observation. Are you saying if some piece of audio equipment sounds horrible, we can't find it in measurements?

·
Registered
52 Posts
my point is pretty simple, we agree all else equal a business owner will carry a product line that adds to his bottom line. squeezebox margin

for those not in the know and any consumers reading this, when i say most methods of distribution i mean that most audio/video distributors don't sell logitech products. it is common practice for a dealer to buy several lines from 1 rep firm. that's why you tend see rotel sold next to b&w, not that neither are great products, but they are repped thru the same people. sonos tends to be repped next other custom brands whereas logitech is not. (btw, IT products are readily available thru distribution for a dealer to make a few points of margin on if they simply went to a company that handles IT products).

personally i see sonos as an application product to be used for when a specific instance arises. in the same vein as a turntable with USB output, i would only sell it when the specific application calls for it. i can't speak for every custom shop, but each one of our employees are also passionate hobbyists and we don't always sell what has the most margin, but we sell what we love and our clients see that passion. we do actually recommend products that sometimes we make no money on and we let our clients know that we want what's best for them, not the bottom line. many of the sonos features are simply "stock features" on the newest AV gear. sirius streaming comes on pioneer and yamaha. NAS streaming can be had on almost any connected tv or blu-ray player. pandora is available on pretty much everything.

as far as sound quality, the specific system i auditioned it on was a peachtree deco hooked up to some monitor audio gold series bookshelves. i sat thru a 2 hour training and sales pitch about it and for 2 hours thought something was wrong with the system. after the class i mentioned it to a few of the other dealers in the room and almost all agreed something was in error. so we specifically asked to change receivers to an onkyo that happened to be one shelf over and it still sounded thin and compressed. only when hooked up via fiber optic did it sound bearable. my observation is that for the price of the system i expected better. for $100 an apple tv (that we make no money on at and i am not an apple shareholder) satisfies 99% of the needs out there, and the amount of airplay compatible products on the horizon will fill the niche the sonos boom boxes do now.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGroup /forum/post/20907143

my point is pretty simple, we agree all else equal a business owner will carry a product line that adds to his bottom line. squeezebox margin

for those not in the know and any consumers reading this, when i say most methods of distribution i mean that most audio/video distributors don't sell logitech products. it is common practice for a dealer to buy several lines from 1 rep firm. that's why you tend see rotel sold next to b&w, not that neither are great products, but they are repped thru the same people. sonos tends to be repped next other custom brands whereas logitech is not. (btw, IT products are readily available thru distribution for a dealer to make a few points of margin on if they simply went to a company that handles IT products).

personally i see sonos as an application product to be used for when a specific instance arises. in the same vein as a turntable with USB output, i would only sell it when the specific application calls for it. i can't speak for every custom shop, but each one of our employees are also passionate hobbyists and we don't always sell what has the most margin, but we sell what we love and our clients see that passion. we do actually recommend products that sometimes we make no money on and we let our clients know that we want what's best for them, not the bottom line. many of the sonos features are simply "stock features" on the newest AV gear. sirius streaming comes on pioneer and yamaha. NAS streaming can be had on almost any connected tv or blu-ray player. pandora is available on pretty much everything.

as far as sound quality, the specific system i auditioned it on was a peachtree deco hooked up to some monitor audio gold series bookshelves. i sat thru a 2 hour training and sales pitch about it and for 2 hours thought something was wrong with the system. after the class i mentioned it to a few of the other dealers in the room and almost all agreed something was in error. so we specifically asked to change receivers to an onkyo that happened to be one shelf over and it still sounded thin and compressed. only when hooked up via fiber optic did it sound bearable. my observation is that for the price of the system i expected better. for $100 an apple tv (that we make no money on at and i am not an apple shareholder) satisfies 99% of the needs out there, and the amount of airplay compatible products on the horizon will fill the niche the sonos boom boxes do now.

Question, so if a customer comes in and wants to audio distributed throughout the house, what do you sell them?

·
Registered
52 Posts
if its prewired with cat5 and they want keypads i've had great results with Russound. if its only wired with speaker wire and still want more control than a VC then Aton using a parasound classic amp as they are very stable and sound great. if its not prewired at all, apple tv's synced with individual stand alone systems (something simple like the boston acoustics TeeVee 25) works awesome. at least for us anyway. nothing against Niles or Speakercraft, we have access to both brands, but Russound has been our go to for quite awhile. of course all of it is dependent upon the speakers being used and client preferences as well as budget.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.