AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My denon 4308 is now 1 year old and when I play blu-ray movies thru the ps3 I go into flashing red light shutdown mode. It never did this before. I have checked the cables on all speakers and they are not touching the back of the reciever. The unit does this when hot or cold. I discovered by trying the channel level mode that the right rear surround speaker is the problem area. When it gets to this speaker I get the flashing red lights every time and it shutsdown. I unplugged the speaker from the back of the Denon and it continues on to the other speakers and no shutdown. Is this a bad speaker or the Denon? If it is the Denon, then what is wrong? Thanks for the help, Bill.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Wire the channel to a different speaker of same type (ie. the left rear surround). Shuts down? 4308 is problem.

Wire the "bad" speaker to a different channel. Shuts down? Speaker is problem. To be sure, wire ONLY the "bad" speaker.

Good luck.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
You said: "I have checked the cables on all speakers and they are not touching the back of the reciever." Did you also check the speaker connections at the speaker? You may have a short there.

·
The Village Idiot
9,756 Posts
Also check that the speaker wire isn't damaged somewhere between the terminal ends. Just run it through your fingers and if you feel a rough spot, check it very carefully.

You could use an ohm meter to check for shorts too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My older Denon also does this, but sometimes only after extended listening periods. 1+ hrs. Is this shutdown mode a short only, or can it be overheating or something. Usually a power down and power up clears it, at least for awhile.

·
The Village Idiot
9,756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts /forum/post/15437483

My older Denon also does this, but sometimes only after extended listening periods. 1+ hrs. Is this shutdown mode a short only, or can it be overheating or something. Usually a power down and power up clears it, at least for awhile.

From what you describe, its probably overheating. Check that you have proper ventilation according to the manufacturers users manual.

If ventilation isn't the problem, get a fan to cool it down. Seems stupid to have to add a fan but it will run cooler and last longer when properly vented. Many AVRs today have marginal cooling capacity without using fans, often by design. The less materials used the more money made. Some do have fans installed. Probably due to scrimping a wee bit too much on design.

http://www.buyextras.com/avcoco.html

·
Registered
398 Posts
The amp is going into protection mode. Check ALL connections X3.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.