AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

and also when? it use to be you could put rgbhv, rgbs, rgsb also ypbpr with a lots of scan rates (~ 15 khz importantly!!!)

i am not aware of any other flat panel that have that capability and it just seems panasonic does not care anymore!

are we just supposed to throw out all are equiptment because some big cheese wants to save some bucks? this is MADNESS

i am looking for the newest but from what year? thx in advance

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Horses and buggies used to be popular too.

·
Premium Member
18,302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyfive-o  /t/1525023/why-did-panasonic-remove-vga-from-the-tvs/0_60#post_24548464

and also when? it use to be you could put rgbhv, rgbs, rgsb also ypbpr with a lots of scan rates (~ 15 khz importantly!!!)

i am not aware of any other flat panel that have that capability and it just seems panasonic does not care anymore!

are we just supposed to throw out all are equiptment because some big cheese wants to save some bucks? this is MADNESS

TV makers have been reducing the number of analog inputs for several years now. Panasonic started dropping VGA back around 2011(?) or so.

The VGA-equipped Panasonics were limited to a 768p signal and no matter what i set my PC to, my desktop and applications looked like crap on my Plasmas. Text was blurry too.

I think the last Panasonic Plasma to come with a VGA/D-SUB input was the 2011 GT30 series. The VT30 had a smaller different type of input jack and came with a special VGA adapter cable to interface with the TV. I don't think the lower ST30 or S30 had VGA, and I don't think any 2012 or 2013 models had a VGA/D-SUB input at all.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyfive-o  /t/1525023/why-did-panasonic-remove-vga-from-the-tvs#post_24548464

yes, and buy new stuff. that's the only way these companies can survive anymore

and I'm not saying I agree with it, but that's how they all do it. it's not good business to support old tech. it's good business to make consumers buy new stuff as often as possible

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters  /t/1525023/why-did-panasonic-remove-vga-from-the-tvs#post_24549300

TV makers have been reducing the number of analog inputs for several years now. Panasonic dropped VGA back around 2009(?) or so.

The VGA-equipped Panasonics were limited to a 768p signal and no matter what i set my PC to, my desktop and applications looked like crap on my Plasmas. Text was blurry too.

I think the last Panasonic Plasma to come with a VGA/D-SUB input was the 2011 GT30 series. The VT30 had a smaller different type of input jack and came with a special VGA adapter cable to interface with the TV. I don't think the lower ST30 or S30 had VGA, and I don't think any 2012 or 2013 models had a VGA/D-SUB input at all.

thanking you randy walters!

it is sad too see panasonic saving money at are expense

the use to be my go to brand but know i am forced to buy second hand

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt  /t/1525023/why-did-panasonic-remove-vga-from-the-tvs#post_24549314

yes, and buy new stuff. that's the only way these companies can survive anymore

and I'm not saying I agree with it, but that's how they all do it. it's not good business to support old tech. it's good business to make consumers buy new stuff as often as possible

feirce_gt you said it right!!

it is truely madness there are NO TVS with multi sync support in this day an age

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
What are you using thats VGA? Even 2009 seems wrong to be using VGA... VGA sounds like a time of 2002-4 of the CRT days. One of my displays I had to get a VGA to HDMI convertor due to an old DVR CCTV box. Now they all have HDMI but again, don't know why they still are supplying VGA ports in 2013/14.

Even some Windows laptops are still coming with VGA, why? It's 2014.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xvfx  /t/1525023/why-did-panasonic-remove-vga-from-the-tvs#post_24550835

What are you using thats VGA? Even 2009 seems wrong to be using VGA... VGA sounds like a time of 2002-4 of the CRT days. One of my displays I had to get a VGA to HDMI convertor due to an old DVR CCTV box. Now they all have HDMI but again, don't know why they still are supplying VGA ports in 2013/14.

Even some Windows laptops are still coming with VGA, why? It's 2014.

yeah, my laptop, and desktop both have vga. though neither is super current. actually, my desktop's vga is only active if I remove the video card and let the on-board video go. it's kind of weird I guess, but maybe the computer biz is trying to maintain more backwards compatibility?

also, for what it's worth. my Samsung lcd in my bedroom has vga. it's a d630, so I guess that makes it a 2011?

but what I think I need to do is start looking for adapter to turn the vga into something more common, hdmi or component maybe. I was at an out of town vball tourney this past weekend and brought the laptop along so the team could watch a movie instead of tiring themselves out in the pool(and then losing badly the next morning) but the tv was wall mounted and the vga on the back so I couldn't reach anything but hdmi/usb inputs.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Your only remaining option is getting one of professional Panasonic plasmas.

And I don't really get the complaining. Lack of desired input is something I've learned to deal with for over 10 years, and it's not like there isn't a solution. I would venture into one of external processors to convert DSUB into YUV component, but for my needs, (Dreamcast, legacy PC, Xbox 360), I would just invest in a transcoder.

When I first got my Dell U2311H, it was extremely console-unfriendly on surface. No HDMI and no component RCA, just VGA and DVI. My solution was to use DVI to HDMI adaptor for HDMI games and VGA->RCA adaptor, then choose between RGB and YUV, mod my classic gaming consoles to output in DSUB15, so in total, I could support consoles all the way from Sega Genesis to Saturn, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, Wii, Xbox 360, and the PS3. I would have to RGB mod N64, PC Engline, and NES, but that's also part of the fun.

Things were far worse when I had my Sony FW900. Only VGA and BNC to work with. I bought HDFury, so I could strip HDCP to support PS3, I softmodded PS2, Xbox to output in RGBHV instead of YUV. I did a cable mod on Gamecube. Getting unsupported console to work on displays is what I do for fun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOF  /t/1525023/why-did-panasonic-remove-vga-from-the-tvs#post_24551189

Your only remaining option is getting one of professional Panasonic plasmas.

And I don't really get the complaining. Lack of desired input is something I've learned to deal with for over 10 years, and it's not like there isn't a solution. I would venture into one of external processors to convert DSUB into YUV component, but for my needs, (Dreamcast, legacy PC, Xbox 360), I would just invest in a transcoder.

When I first got my Dell U2311H, it was extremely console-unfriendly on surface. No HDMI and no component RCA, just VGA and DVI. My solution was to use DVI to HDMI adaptor for HDMI games and VGA->RCA adaptor, then choose between RGB and YUV, mod my classic gaming consoles to output in DSUB15, so in total, I could support consoles all the way from Sega Genesis to Saturn, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, Wii, Xbox 360, and the PS3. I would have to RGB mod N64, PC Engline, and NES, but that's also part of the fun.

Things were far worse when I had my Sony FW900. Only VGA and BNC to work with. I bought HDFury, so I could strip HDCP to support PS3, I softmodded PS2, Xbox to output in RGBHV instead of YUV. I did a cable mod on Gamecube. Getting unsupported console to work on displays is what I do for fun.

thank you for your helpful post, i am sorry if i come off like an ass hole or something it is not entended :D i dont want people having hurt feelings

i am just looking for the same or better preformance then i had before, my old time panasonic was very verstile compared to other tvs and i wish they will carry on that tradation instead of putting face book and other crap on the tv, that is just my opinion and i am soneone who care about pq and what inputs and thats all

to be honest i never heard about a profesional plasma and what does that offer that is better

messing about with convertors is not my thing but i respect your effort

·
Registered
1,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyfive-o  /t/1525023/why-did-panasonic-remove-vga-from-the-tvs#post_24551563

thank you for your helpful post, i am sorry if i come off like an ass hole or something it is not entended
i dont want people having hurt feelings

i am just looking for the same or better preformance then i had before, my old time panasonic was very verstile compared to other tvs and i wish they will carry on that tradation instead of putting face book and other crap on the tv, that is just my opinion and i am soneone who care about pq and what inputs and thats all

to be honest i never heard about a profesional plasma and what does that offer that is better

No, your post wasn't demeaning at all and I wasn't snarky or anything like that either. It's just a fact of life.

My advice to you is, don't wait too long for a feature you really need. I made that mistake myself. I really wanted to buy a 720p TV, but I waited too long and now there are only 1080p TVs and gimped 720p TVs which is not ideal. I ended up with the 1080p TV and now I'm paying the price with horrible upscaling for 720p sources.

'Versatility' isn't something CE manufacturers are boastful of, and if we can't expect it even on AV receivers, what expectation can we have for TVs? My first Harman Kardon receiver had S-Video, Dolby Headphone, composite/component upscaling. My latest Harman Kardon receiver only has HDMI! (throws up)

I've seen VGA ports missing in TVs as early as 2008, (LG Scarlet) and you should've seen it coming. The same goes for people who expected PiP to last forever.

Professional plasmas like the PF30 still have support for DVI/VGA that's why I mentioned. But the price is also astronomical, so it's quite an added expense. Sorry to tell you this, but that's how it goes with electronics.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOF  /t/1525023/why-did-panasonic-remove-vga-from-the-tvs#post_24551776

The same goes for people who expected PiP to last forever.

I was actually wondering about that on the Samsung 2012. PIP only works with Freeview. Unlike earlier models that you could select scart.

Though, it's refreshing seeing a Panasonic TV only with HDMI.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyfive-o  /t/1525023/why-did-panasonic-remove-vga-from-the-tvs#post_24551563

thank you for your helpful post, i am sorry if i come off like an ass hole or something it is not entended
i dont want people having hurt feelings

oddly enough, I've found the most versatile displays to be the 'no-name' brands like dynex. I bought a 32" dynex a few years ago that had just about every input possible. hdmi, component, vga, s-video, and composite.

I'm not sure how many options for professional plasma there still are. last I saw(was just by accident really, so I'm sure there's better options) they were basically the same panels available in consumer models, but in thicker, tougher, and more weather resistant cases. they also cost way more. Panasonic used to have a good pro line from what I've read, not sure that's still the case though.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I may be wrong (correct be if I am), but my understanding is that, as of 1/1/2014, nobody can produce or ship a device with VGA output. The "Hollywood Gestapo" took another step in their campaign to do away with all high quality analog (AKA high quality without DHCP copy protection, AKA "The Analog Sunset") by forcing the extinction of VGA outputs, on laptops and everything else. My understanding is that you can only get a laptop with HDMI output now.

So, why provide an input for a banned signal format?

·
Registered
70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowspawn  /t/1525023/why-did-panasonic-remove-vga-from-the-tvs#post_24553389

So, why provide an input for a banned signal format?
Hollywood's hi-res analog ban applies to media playback (DVD and Blu-ray), not the VGA output itself. There are plenty of Windows laptops available today that still include a VGA output, with the likely reason being that there are many classrooms and conference rooms that have not yet been upgraded to digital inputs (more specifically the switching equipment, since most projectors have supported at least DVI for a while now). Soon you might see VGA output becoming limited to business-class laptops, but I think it'll be a while before VGA goes away entirely.

FWIW, Panasonic's 2012 plasmas were their last consumer models to include a VGA input. My GT50 has it, along with the 768p resolution limit Panasonic has always imposed (probably an attempt to protect their professional plasma sales).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts