AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the TX-SR606 and couldn't wait to try out uncompressed sound... and as far as that goes, with my fairly limited audio knowledge, I was really impressed! Then I went back to the PS3 menu... and noticed a buzz. I though "It's probably the cable to the sub; not plugged in properly, yeah." Nope. Darn, it's probably my sub... stupid 15" 1000 watt Velodyne. But wait, the odds of that are low! Went to Onkyo menu... buzz mostly gone. Go back to PS3 menu... buzz back. Proportional to volume, hmm. Next step > Google "buzz" and "TX-SR606." Hits aplenty.

So now... the question is, what else can I get? I had an HK AVR 140 before this, and it did me no wrong, so another HK? Are there any affordable models with a few HDMI inputs and TrueHD/DTS-MA? And what about Pioneer Elite? Any input would be most appreciated by this depoofed techhead.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Maybe they could replace it with a working one?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems a lot of people have issues like this. Plus, the other thing is that it doesn't have enough volume! Max volume is like 5 notches away from ideal volume in a quiet environment. My HK AVR 140 could go significantly louder!

It'd be great if I could get some midrange suggestions from you guys! I was initially considering a Sony 820, but apparently, that's even weaker than this Onkyo!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well not everyone has the buzz, but every forum or review site has some percentage of users claiming it to be a problem, so consider yourself lucky!

·
Registered
503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartlesslova /forum/post/15482358

Well not everyone has the buzz, but every forum or review site has some percentage of users claiming it to be a problem, so consider yourself lucky!

I gotta tell ya that I haven't had 1 issue with my Yamaha 663 as I too looked at the Onkyo

·
Registered
440 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartlesslova /forum/post/15482291

It seems a lot of people have issues like this. Plus, the other thing is that it doesn't have enough volume! Max volume is like 5 notches away from ideal volume in a quiet environment.

Yikes! How big is your space? How big are your speakers?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I would have to say that you've got it connected or set up wrong somehow.... I have the 606, and with good speakers, volume of 35 is as high as I go for movies/music. Occasionally 40 when I'm really blasting something.. As for the buzz, go into the menu and turn off audyssey eq, and the issue should go away. This unit is also effected by ground loops pretty bad, so check that. Again, what speakers are you using with that sub?

·
Registered
330 Posts
The audyssey eq causes an audible buzz in my system w/ the ps3. This is a fix that is proposed throughout the official 606 thread as well. I just know it got rid of the buzz for me, YMMV

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I believe I've seen people mention that the buzz has something to do with the output resolution. Try a lower setting and see if that helps.

·
Registered
487 Posts
matalli:

The disappointing part is that to keep costs down, the mass market receiver companies have been using Faroudja DCDi for their video scaler/deinterlacer. It's a subpar solution and not really good at 1080p upscaling. So while the 606 is a good receiver, it's not particularly good at video scaling even though the specs say it is able to do it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I read the many issues with the Onkyo's and have recommened them in the past, but I got a Denon avr-1909 for myself. I didn't want to worry about issues. It seems the Denon is the Honda of receivers when it comes to problems with the new audio codecs, and the Onkyo....well, pick any of the GM makes to lable it.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Never read any issues on audio codecs for the xx5 or xx6 series Onkyo nor have I experienced any codec issues. It seems that Denon is having its fair share of issues from the various Denon threads (1909, 2309, 3808) so I don't think any one manufacturer is vastly worse than another.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Shaffer /forum/post/15485466

Yikes! How big is your space? How big are your speakers?

Maybe 25 x 15 or thereabouts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparker36 /forum/post/15485644

I would have to say that you've got it connected or set up wrong somehow.... I have the 606, and with good speakers, volume of 35 is as high as I go for movies/music. Occasionally 40 when I'm really blasting something.. As for the buzz, go into the menu and turn off audyssey eq, and the issue should go away. This unit is also effected by ground loops pretty bad, so check that. Again, what speakers are you using with that sub?

I let the Auddysey do its thing, and then tried some stuff out. Blu-Ray was the quietest, so that can easily be maxed out... MP3s of course vary, most have more headroom, but these can be maxed out too. I really don't see what I could do wrong, I've hooked up tons of HT setups!

I'm using Klipsch RF-52s, an RC-62, RLS-5000R sub and a pair of bookshelfs for the rears. Klipsches are pretty loud, and these were even louder than the HKTS-15 HTIB speakers I had connected to my old HK AVR 140. I know that's a high current amp, but I figured, at this price, the Onkyo should be able to at least match it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli /forum/post/15486208

I believe I've seen people mention that the buzz has something to do with the output resolution. Try a lower setting and see if that helps.

I'll certainly try that, thanks for the suggestion. I'm gonna post back and see if that makes a difference, but even if it does, thats such a deal breaker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewS99 /forum/post/15486324

matalli:

The disappointing part is that to keep costs down, the mass market receiver companies have been using Faroudja DCDi for their video scaler/deinterlacer. It's a subpar solution and not really good at 1080p upscaling. So while the 606 is a good receiver, it's not particularly good at video scaling even though the specs say it is able to do it.

Yes, everyone complains about the upscaling. I didn't try it out yet, because the only SD source I have connected is the Wii.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickneuropa /forum/post/15486549

I read the many issues with the Onkyo's and have recommened them in the past, but I got a Denon avr-1909 for myself. I didn't want to worry about issues. It seems the Denon is the Honda of receivers when it comes to problems with the new audio codecs, and the Onkyo....well, pick any of the GM makes to lable it.

I was thinking about getting AVR-1909 myself, but I read a review that said that its main drawback is that there isn't enough volume.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh and I tried different power outlets, going through a UPS, different HDMI sources (though all at 1080p) and the same result.

The buzz sounds lighter when not in the PS3 menu (or XMB or whatever), and when in the menu it gets a lot louder. Sounds a little like morse code when not in the menu as well!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickneuropa /forum/post/15486549

Excuse me for having to inform you that the Chevrolet Malibu did better in first time quality testing (JD Power and Assoc.) than the Honda Accord and the Toyota Camry. You should do your homework before making ignorant assumptions about GM vehicles. Oh yeah, and you might want to bone up on your spelling also.

·
Registered
487 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewS99

matalli:

Yes, everyone complains about the upscaling. I didn't try it out yet, because the only SD source I have connected is the Wii.

Just about all the mass market receivers use this Faroudja DCDi chip - except for Onkyo 875/876/905/906, Denon 5308 and part of the Yamaha line uses Anchor Bay which is better than the Faroudja chips but not as good as the HQV Reon in the Onkyo/Denon.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Plenty of people are complaining about a buzz with their PS3s, or to be specific, with multichannel PCM audio over HDMI. It seems to be circuit noise being amplified, and can be reduced by reducing the number of audio channels or reducing the video bandwidth. Neither of these are ideal of course, although I for one wouldn't be bothered with 1080i instead of 1080p.

I still don't know why you don't have enough volume though. My room is about 12 x 15. I have JBL S-38s (8"/4"/1") and I've never felt the urge to turn it up past about 45 for normal listening.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Shaffer /forum/post/15488696

Plenty of people are complaining about a buzz with their PS3s, or to be specific, with multichannel PCM audio over HDMI. It seems to be circuit noise being amplified, and can be reduced by reducing the number of audio channels or reducing the video bandwidth. Neither of these are ideal of course, although I for one wouldn't be bothered with 1080i instead of 1080p.

I still don't know why you don't have enough volume though. My room is about 12 x 15. I have JBL S-38s (8"/4"/1") and I've never felt the urge to turn it up past about 45 for normal listening.

It's not that I don't have enough volume, it's that I don't have enough headroom. I'd like to know that I can go really loud if I want to (for whatever reason). I'm at 62-65 on Blu-Ray discs, a mere stone's throw away from the max. It's fine for the quiet room I have it in, but if there's any other noise and I want to turn it up... I can't. Especially weird, considering how the old receiver seemed a lot louder. I just got these speakers, and being my first real set of speakers, I thought they wouldn't be as loud as the HTIB speakers I had earlier, but they were actually louder. All I did was swap out the receiver... I don't see how a wrong connection could change things so much.

Here's something I noticed...the auto calibration thing set the various levels (-2 for FL, -5 for center, -1 for RL etc.), and I could add 5 dB to each channel and it would get louder proportionally. I don't know if it was me, but I thought the sound wasn't as clean when I did that...I thought I heard some additional noise/distortion.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts