AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost every time I see a threrad about best plyers for less than $500 its always get a used RP82 or used/refurb 1600 or Xp30.

Since all these units have such outstanding picture quality and are so popular why doesn't anyone make anything as good NOW? Did all the companies get brain damage and FORGET how to make these great players?

I had the misfortune of buying a Toshiba SD 4800 (which rated well and works fine) 1 day before they put the last Rp82s up on the shelf at future shop. By the time I explained to my wife I wanted to swap it and boxed it back up they were gone. I want to move the 4800 upstairs and get something with excellent PQ for less than $500 Canadian. Buying used/refurb from the US is just too risky and there are no good sources of these dicontinued players in Canada.

Is anyone going to realize they HAD [players that people WANT and will pay money for and make more or something of equal quality or do they just make more $ by making and selling crap than good players?

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
They still make them its just not companies like Panasonic (the maker of the RP82, XP30) - since now they want to compete in the low cost under $100 market and the top-rated Faroudja de-interlacer makes it more expensive. Now the Faroudja-based models are from companies like Denon and Mitsubishi. The Mitsubishi DD-8040 is under $250 so its similar to the price of the old Panasonic RP82 was originally. Denon's DVD-910 is Farooudja-based for under $299. So you have the choice of finding one of the old models on ebay or the new models in stores that carry Mitsubishi or Denon like Tweeter and Good Guys stores.

·
Registered
864 Posts
JamieSapp:

Is there London Drugs store in your area? You still can get XP30 + receiver combo for $499 Canadian when they are on sale. If they are not on sale is $699.

When I got my RP82 a year ago at Futureshop, it was $400 CDN. I bought it one day after their sale ended, but finally I talked them down $10. Later I found 4 more units of RP82 (3 brand new with October 2002 manufacture date and 1 display unit) and told people about in this forum. Our neighbors down south actually drove up here and grabbed them the next day.

·
Registered
502 Posts
You can still get a brand new xp30 on Ebay. I just paid $299 for one and it arrived on Tuesday. Sealed in the box. Of the four players I own it clearly has the best PQ. There are still more on Ebay from a different seller. I would provide a link but it's not allowed in this forum.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$299 US plus duty + shipping + 15 % Canadian HSt is pretty close to $600 Canadian I don't know if I want to pay that kinda bucks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.