AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read several posts on this forum and others with everyone talking about screen door effect, rainbows, poor black levels etc.,etc. Now that I've finally got my projector, Nec Vt540(thank you Rick Forrest),I've come to relize that Avs members must be very picky. I'm using a white sheet until I get a screen and the picture looks great right out of the box! I'm feeding it a progressive signal from Iscan V2 from s-video out on Pioneer dvd player and can't imagine anything looking much better. It was WAY more than I could've ever expected after reading hear. I was expecting the picture to look like I was watching through expanded metal or something horrible like that. Please in the future don't allow newbie's to read all the nitpicky post about front projectors It will worry them to death!! I now I was!

Thanks for all the advise in earlier post and any future posts as well but please advise newbie's carefully or you may scare them off!

Thanks,

Jayson

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Kevin:

Does the fact that a dust speck consuming, oh maybe 0.0001% of the image, that is driving me absolutely insane mean. . .

I'M ONE OF YOU CRAZIES?

OH S***!!

Dan

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Here are a few hints if you want to be happy with your purchase for a while:

1. Stop reading this forum (or at least threads that start off with "My review of..." or "Ohhh my gosh, you guys will not believe this")

2. Don't read HT magazines

3. Do not visit HT stores that have better equipment than what you currently have

[This message has been edited by DRS (edited 09-28-2001).]

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Examples of fanaticism of HT users:

1) People waited a year or more for Panamorph (paid up front)

2) Constantly focusing of image

3) Constantly tweaking projector or screens

4) Masking like crazy so when lights are on it's ugly--but boy does it look good with movie playing

5) Sending projector back for 1 dust blob or 1 dead pixel on one of 3 LCD panels (1 out of 2.4 million pixels) and waiting a month or more for it to come back

6) Can't finish a movie without tweaking system

7) Watch movie without sound and enjoyed it immensly

8) Tackle kids when they approach screen or projector

9) Lock HT room so no one else can use system

10) Got slap by wife for paying more attention to HT than her.

11) Huge credit card bill

12) Projector costs more than car.

13) First thing when PC turned on at home or work is to check forum for news, problems, helping others.

14) Order from no name company like Infinity Micro just to save a few bucks or jump on a pricing mistake like Dell's

15) Cry when price drop the week after purchase.

16) Cry when projector breaks or develop dead pixel/dust

17) Go into withdrawal if can't visit HT room once a day.

18) Owning more than one projectors or screens.

19) Paint entire HT room black just to improve contrast

20) Wires running all over room tripping wife or kids

I'm sure there are more but these just popped in my head :)

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Well I think you might just want to make that temorrary sheet, more permanate. Yhe grid lines of the screen door are greatly softened by the pure fact, your projecting on to fabric. Once you move that image to a hard painted or screen surface, The lines will sharpen a bit.

------------------

Mike

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys,

hopefully my family and I can enjoy the show for a few months before I start picking it apart. I'm going the DIY screen way with blackout cloth for now. Hope this doesn't sharpen the screen door to much! at this point you've gotta really look hard to find it!

Jayson

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Jamz,

Kevin is right on, picky does not begin to describe the depth of the anal-retentive audiophile/videophile exchanges on this forum.

Some advice is necessary to avoid being drawn into the vortex:

1) If you like the black level you have now, never see a correctly set up CRT.

2) If you do not see rainbows and the image structure of a DLP, do not sit close to the screen and do not look for it.

3) Do not read the article at Secrets on the chroma bug. If you do not see it now, you will see it after you read the article.

4) Do not visit Dean Mcmanis's home with the tweaked out G15 D-ILA, ISCO lens, 180" perfed screen, and HTPC.

5) Do not visit the best rooms at the trade shows.

6) Limit yourself to the sub-forums that review software, but never read anything about the excessive use of edge enhancment, bad film elements, washed out color, lack of 16:9 enhancement, OAR vs. pan and scan, excessive use of Dialnorm on DD disks, half maximum bit rate of DTS. ....At second thought maybe you shouldn't read that forum either. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

7)Do not read threads by people who can take these complex machines apart and comment on the build quality, unless you have a strong stomach.

8)Never attend a home theater enthusiasts meeting, there is likely to be an influential member to take you to the other side.

Jayson,

enjoy your movies!!!!

------------------

Don O

[This message has been edited by Don O'Brien (edited 09-29-2001).]

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Part of our assimilation process is not knowing that it is happening to you until you have received numerous threats from your SO.

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Jamz,

Remember to keep these little "secrets" just between us fanatics. The only other person to whom you should ever divulge any equipment "anomylies", are your spouse (or other financial investment analyst), and only in cases requiring justification for upgrades to said equipment.

Hmmm. Maybe Alan should put out a non-disclosure agreement that you have to agree to when signing-up. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

I don't know how many times I've tried to explain to visitors, neighbors, and friends about how I've improved my HT in some way by clearly pointing out the problems that, of course, they can no longer see, because I fixed it by...blah, blah, blah...You get what I mean.

You've made your purchase, so now just enjoy it. Keep an open mind to things that may improve your setup. But remember, you may be the only one who notices.

------------------

DVI/HDCP makes your HDTV not ready

[This message has been edited by jhill32 (edited 09-29-2001).]

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hehehe. I have slowly become one of the nuts around this place. Even though I sell plasmas and projectors, I learned A LOT from this group. Even though I will be upgrading to a 16:9 projector early next year, and I don't like the performance of my current projector, the usual reaction to an 80" image of even normal television through my HTPC is "Holy Crap! That looks good". DVD usally floors the average big screen TV owner.

------------------

-AVGeek

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for the words of incuragement and finally some warning! I figure when I start to get the urge to upgrade I'll get a HTPC and that should help for a while.

Jayson

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.