AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because hardcore gamers are really pushing to the limits playing 24 hrs straight? Or just manufacturing errors and luck of the box.

So I have a 360 elite, obviously it is a new build and not the first gen machine- I attached the Nyko Intercooler to the back and I also have a fancy Intec Base Cooler with the fancy fans/lights.

I also play my 360 at most 2hrs a day. So the question is- should I expect my Xbox to die out or do I have nothing to worry about?

I may already know this answer since my brother's first Gen 360 bugged out and he wasn't even using it that much. Having said that, I hope that with the combination of the newer 360 Build/Back fan/Botton Fan should remedy this. No I didn't buy any extra warrantee.

· Registered
1,761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sti jaguar /forum/post/0

Because hardcore gamers are really pushing to the limits playing 24 hrs straight? Or just manufacturing errors and luck of the box.

So I have a 360 elite, obviously it is a new build and not the first gen machine- I attached the Nyko Intercooler to the back and I also have a fancy Intec Base Cooler with the fancy fans/lights.

I also play my 360 at most 2hrs a day. So the question is- should I expect my Xbox to die out or do I have nothing to worry about?

I may already know this answer since my brother's first Gen 360 bugged out and he wasn't even using it that much. Having said that, I hope that with the combination of the newer 360 Build/Back fan/Botton Fan should remedy this. No I didn't buy any extra warrantee.

Last I heard those intercoolers screw up the 360 more than anything else.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRic /forum/post/0

Last I heard those intercoolers screw up the 360 more than anything else.

You can't be serious, any links to this???

*** I just did quick google search and it is because the Nyko cooler saps power directly from the 360 itself. But I will read more if this really is the case.

As for the Intec Cooler, it is a separate base cooler with it's own power cord.

· Registered
310 Posts
I would ditch the coolers, just keep it in a ventilated space. Then call up MS and get there 2yr extended warranty which will give you 3yrs of warranty service.

About the nyko coolers killing 360's, I read that it was the first nyke cooler but they revised them and it shouldnt do it anymore. But I dont think you really need one, especially since you have a newer build.

· Registered
4,595 Posts
a 10 dollar desktop fan pointed at your 360 will work 50 times better then the intercooler and intec one. I had both, they are crap.

Place 360 horizontal, direct desktop fan at right side of 360. Done.

And, as for your question, the motherboards warp, the DVD roms have laser issues, the gpu/cpu have solder that melts under it's own operating temps, and the cases are too small and don't have enough cooling. Think that covers it.

· Registered
325 Posts
I've got to say, I'm pretty amazed at the low reliability of the 360 compared to the original XBox, but most importantly compared to computers... I don't game many hours straight, nor do I game daily, yet I'm already on my 2nd 360 in less than 12 months.

I have PCs that have been running for 2-3 years, 8-18 hrs/day, and are still just fine. All I've ever done with them is clean out the heat syncs every 6-8 months.

If you ask me, I think the 360s are made of sub-par internal components. MS probably thought they'd get away with it, but clearly they didn't from the number of dead machines.

· Registered
540 Posts
They are all heat issues far as I can tell. Motherboard warps...cause its to hot

gpu and cpu solder points become unattached..cause its to hot...

I wouldn't go so far as to say they components themselves are subpar...just the construction.

I think MS isn't doing much right now about it because they figure the new 65 chips will fix this and they may be right.

· Registered
9,460 Posts
For the ones that don't game much have you ever hear of air can sprays?

· Registered
2,009 Posts
I have my xbox elite sitting on a Intec laptop cooler that is being powered by a outlet USB power source. Never had heat issues since I got the intec cooler and I there is no way this can have any negative effect on the system.

-Evangelo2

· Registered
16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga /forum/post/0

For the ones that don't game much have you ever hear of air can sprays?

For what? The less you game, the less crap being sucked into the box.

I like the desk fan idea, but my 360 has been vertical since launch and the only heat issue was with the power supply on the carpet. I placed the power supply on top of my Halo2 aluminum collector's edition and never had another meltdown. When my Elite goes in the entertainment cabinet later this year, I think I'll buy one of those usb fans on the bendable necks to pump air into the side.

· Registered
698 Posts
I put my 360 up on 1 inch rubber feet with 2 cooling fans sitting just behind the 360 powered by external power helping to move air better also a fan in what would be the bottom if it were upright to blow air under the 360 it keeps the bottom cool

the power brick also in rubber feat and get blown by the other fans

pics here

· Registered
997 Posts
I have used the intercooler for over 10 months with no problems. I have a launch console and it really keeps it cooler, it is just sad that we would have to do these things because the cooling wasn't engineered properly.

· Registered
2,159 Posts
I think the intercooler problems were blown way out of proportion. The actual number of cases of the intercooler causing damage is tiny. Those few cases just got the ball rolling of "oh 3 red lights, intercooler broke my 360!!!" ... as if the real problem isn't the shoddy 360 manufacturing. I think it just gave MS a temporary scape goat to offload some of that pressure of their defective rate.

Even with that said, there is a big reason not to use the intercooler... it will void your warranty. If you're not under warranty I think it does a good job doing what it's supposed to do. There are certainly better solutions though, like talismoon's and a 60mm fan in front of the heatsink.

· Registered
2,159 Posts
I would not use an intercoller that takes power away from the 360, everyone knows the quickest way to burn up something elec is to deprive it of electricity. I dont use any cooler and mine is fine. I like the rubber feet though, I might try to find me a set

· Registered
3,356 Posts
This thread strikes me as ridiculous. Do I have to also sacrifice a goat once a month for my 360 to work? People, buy the ESP else you might be out a $400 console in year two...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.