AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Wondering I have seen a few 4K E-Shifts and they look very very close to native 4K in films and TV shows.

However in video games I can EASILY tell the difference between native 4K image and E-shift. The image enhancement presets and sharpening filters don't help videogames much as it just makes things look grainy and unnatural.

Why is this? Is it to do with the contrast of panels not helping in defining colours and lines as easily as higher contrast alternatives?

I have A/B tested this with people who aren't even into the how resolution/pj/gaming and they also agreed comfortably.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
I would guess one reason is most 4K videos are really 1080p upconverted to 4K. These eshifters are also using 1080p chips so the physical size of the pixel is still the same with the exception of the .66 DLP XPR chip where the pixels are 1/2 the size of 1080p chips. Native 4K they are 1/4 the size.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Hi,

Wondering I have seen a few 4K E-Shifts and they look very very close to native 4K in films and TV shows.

However in video games I can EASILY tell the difference between native 4K image and E-shift. The image enhancement presets and sharpening filters don't help videogames much as it just makes things look grainy and unnatural.

Why is this? Is it to do with the contrast of panels not helping in defining colours and lines as easily as higher contrast alternatives?

I have A/B tested this with people who aren't even into the how resolution/pj/gaming and they also agreed comfortably.
Epson uses E-shift to increase 1080P resolution (by 2) and remove SDE. 4K DLP XPR puts 8.3MP on screen, so it's important to state which projectors you're talking about

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Epson uses E-shift to increase 1080P resolution (by 2) and remove SDE. 4K DLP XPR puts 8.3MP on screen, so it's important to state which projectors you're talking about
Hi mate, talking about Epson.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Hi mate, talking about Epson.
I suspect it's because the the various enhancements increase lag and are turned off during gaming and also because many films are actually shot in 2K (~1080P) and the rescaled to 4K for release. These films don't have true 4K detail.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts