AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever notice in the pictures that self-proclaimed audiophiles take of their "listening room", they always have their amp(s) sitting right on the floor between their speakers? I'm not talking just against the wall on the floor, I'm talking the MIDDLE of the floor, blocking access to other parts of the room or patio doors, etc.


Is there a logistical or acoustic reason behind this, or is it just so they can say "look at my amps as they sit there on the floor" when their friends walk in?


curious, because rooms that look like this are pretty common in peoples' threads and they're so proud that their amps are on the floor it seems:


"Look at my amps as they sit on the floor"

"My amps ALSO sit on the floor in the middle of the room and for no real reason except that everyone else puts their amps on the floor - LOOK AT THEM!"

"On the floor again! Just can't wait to get on that floor again!"

"Look at MY amps - they take over the whole room! Hope the phone doesn't ring upstairs, or it's an army obstable course getting out of here!"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,608 Posts
Part show and if you ever picked up some of those 150lbs of beast a shelf may not

seem strong enough also note most are running balanced inputs and keeping their

speaker wire short as possible.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,357 Posts
It's so they can save money on speaker cables!



Craig
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,268 Posts
I think its so that the heat from some of those class A and tube amps more evenly disperses throughout the room.



Actually I think my Integra and PS3 help out in the heating department too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrat /forum/post/14309413


spent all the money on equipment

LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,653 Posts
Rather than make light of how someone chooses to spend their money and set up their gear, I would like to ask....

"Why do newbie forum posters start silly threads about amps sitting on the floor in the SPEAKER forum rather than in the appropriate forum like amps, processors and receivers?"


In no particular order....
  • The OP is such a newbie that he doesn't know their are roughly FIFTEEN main forum areas consisting of approximately EIGHTY FIVE sub forum areas making up AVS.
  • He thinks the speaker forum IS the AVS forum.
  • He likes attention, so he posts his thread in one of the busier forum areas so that a lot of people will be sure to see it.
  • He seems to take pleasure for some reason in poking fun at those who obviously take this hobby VERY seriously and spend a large amount of money doing so.
  • He's never had the pleasure of actually listening to a rig like those he's poking fun at, so he assumes it doesn't sound any better than his JVC receiver and Athena speakers.... so why should it be spread out all over the floor on isolation stands?
  • He has WAY too much time on his hands if he actually worries about stuff like this.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,503 Posts
I had my components (integrated amp and CD player) on a cart by a wall for a while. Now I have them sitting on the floor between the speakers. I find it easier to load/unload the CD tray this way and easier to aim the remote. I also like the way it looks (it fits the minimalist aesthetic of my apartment as a whole, and the components are much nicer looking than the cart.) The paths on either side of them are plenty wide enough for walking, so that is a nonissue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadriverfalls /forum/post/14309725


Rather than make light of how someone chooses to spend their money and set up their gear, I would like to ask....

"Why do newbie forum posters start silly threads about amps sitting on the floor in the SPEAKER forum rather than in the appropriate forum like amps, processors and receivers?"


In no particular order....
  • The OP is such a newbie that he doesn't know their are roughly FIFTEEN main forum areas consisting of approximately EIGHTY FIVE sub forum areas making up AVS.
  • He thinks the speaker forum IS the AVS forum.
  • He likes attention, so he posts his thread in one of the busier forum areas so that a lot of people will be sure to see it.
  • He seems to take pleasure for some reason in poking fun at those who obviously take this hobby VERY seriously and spend a large amount of money doing so.
  • He's never had the pleasure of actually listening to a rig like those he's poking fun at, so he assumes it doesn't sound any better than his JVC receiver and Athena speakers.... so why should it be spread out all over the floor on isolation stands?
  • He has WAY too much time on his hands if he actually worries about stuff like this.

Come on, Quad. Lighten up a little. Some levity is a good thing. I'm not even an audiophile, but my friends think that I'm nuts. They make fun of me accordingly. It's all good
.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadriverfalls /forum/post/14309725


Rather than make light of how someone chooses to spend their money and set up their gear, I would like to ask....

"Why do newbie forum posters start silly threads about amps sitting on the floor in the SPEAKER forum rather than in the appropriate forum like amps, processors and receivers?"


In no particular order....
  • The OP is such a newbie that he doesn't know their are roughly FIFTEEN main forum areas consisting of approximately EIGHTY FIVE sub forum areas making up AVS.
  • He thinks the speaker forum IS the AVS forum.
  • He likes attention, so he posts his thread in one of the busier forum areas so that a lot of people will be sure to see it.
  • He seems to take pleasure for some reason in poking fun at those who obviously take this hobby VERY seriously and spend a large amount of money doing so.
  • He's never had the pleasure of actually listening to a rig like those he's poking fun at, so he assumes it doesn't sound any better than his JVC receiver and Athena speakers.... so why should it be spread out all over the floor on isolation stands?
  • He has WAY too much time on his hands if he actually worries about stuff like this.


Wow, chill out, man. I found the captions funny, actually.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadriverfalls /forum/post/14309725


Rather than make light of how someone chooses to spend their money and set up their gear, I would like to ask....

"Why do newbie forum posters start silly threads about amps sitting on the floor in the SPEAKER forum rather than in the appropriate forum like amps, processors and receivers?"


In no particular order....
  • The OP is such a newbie that he doesn't know their are roughly FIFTEEN main forum areas consisting of approximately EIGHTY FIVE sub forum areas making up AVS.
  • He thinks the speaker forum IS the AVS forum.
  • He likes attention, so he posts his thread in one of the busier forum areas so that a lot of people will be sure to see it.
  • He seems to take pleasure for some reason in poking fun at those who obviously take this hobby VERY seriously and spend a large amount of money doing so.
  • He's never had the pleasure of actually listening to a rig like those he's poking fun at, so he assumes it doesn't sound any better than his JVC receiver and Athena speakers.... so why should it be spread out all over the floor on isolation stands?
  • He has WAY too much time on his hands if he actually worries about stuff like this.

I actually completely agree with this. This thread was not started with an intention of learning anything. It was merely condescending and stating in somehow the OP has superior knowledge to the audiophiles he chooses to make fun of. The OP perhaps needs to step back and realize that there is a alot to learn about this hobby and it is best not to assume whatever belief you have is always the correct one. I dont see anyone poking fun at whatever setup he does or does not have.



Between this toping and the screen name of TruthbringR I am pretty sure we know who this "new" member is. Not the best way to start yourself out on the forum... just my $.02
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageMcRamage /forum/post/14309855


Come on, Quad. Lighten up a little. Some levity is a good thing.

Seriously. Don't be a forum Nazi!
Besides, the forum is strictly for fun in any event.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,876 Posts
LOL, that's twice in the last couple of days he's been called such.



I was commenting about his kids' cute little brown uniforms in another thread.



Sorry, quad, just ribbin' ya.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,783 Posts
Quad and Ryden I think you guys missed the point of the OP's thread. It's a joke and should be taken that way.


I actually found several of the captions hilarious.



I doubt he is as noobish as you guys make him out to be, and he's probably aware of why people put their amps in the center of the room. If he's not then I will stand corrected
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye11 /forum/post/14310326


I doubt he is as noobish as you guys make him out to be, and he's probably aware of why people put their amps in the center of the room. If he's not then I will stand corrected

My guess is that you will stand corrected.
It took me just a couple of minutes to glance at his entire posting history. Just this paragraph has about as much typed info on audio as his posting history.
The rest is BD software related, maybe half of which is porn.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,900 Posts
I recall this trend starting in the early '80s, back when I was a hardcore audiophile/musician/maven/geek. The idea was to shorten speaker wires to minimize the degradation of sound. What people seemed to ignore was now the low-level cables had to be much longer, and there was the potential for much more sonic degradation and hum.
Amps were also placed between the speakers so they could be worshipped, as at an altar, and also because tube and Class A monsters generate lots of heat.


What strikes me as silly is every one of the rooms shown by the OP are acoustical nightmares, with hard surfaces behind and next to the speakers. My God, people, deal with the issues that make an audible difference, and then proceed to the myriad of goofy tweaks. Is anyone aware of the damaging reflections from the midrange down from the naked, hard wall behind a speaker?? Or the first reflections through the entire spectrum caused by a bare adjacent wall??


There is a lot of pomp and posturing in the current and past audiophile world, and much selective ignoring of physics. It is comical, it amuses me, and at the same time it frustrates me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli /forum/post/14310920


I recall this trend starting in the early '80s, back when I was a hardcore audiophile/musician/maven/geek. The idea was to shorten speaker wires to minimize the degradation of sound. What people seemed to ignore was now the low-level cables had to be much longer, and there was the potential for much more sonic degradation and hum.
Amps were also placed between the speakers so they could be worshipped, as at an altar, and also because tube and Class A monsters generate lots of heat.


What strikes me as silly is every one of the rooms shown by the OP are acoustical nightmares, with hard surfaces behind and next to the speakers. My God, people, deal with the issues that make an audible difference, and then proceed to the myriad of goofy tweaks. Is anyone aware of the damaging reflections from the midrange down from the naked, hard wall behind a speaker?? Or the first reflections through the entire spectrum caused by a bare adjacent wall??


There is a lot of pomp and posturing in the current and past audiophile world, and much selective ignoring of physics. It is comical, it amuses me, and at the same time it frustrates me.

Great Post sir!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
Wow, some "audiophiles" are sensitive. I suppose if I had one of these big monster amps I may set her on the floor as well....but I would expect some criticism from normal folks on occasion.
 
1 - 20 of 128 Posts
Top