AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do Bose speakers fetch so much on ebay?


I was given most of a 5 piece Bose system and after suffering with it for 3 years I have decided to sell it and by a real system(ERA design 4's all the way around). I was hoping I could get about $150 for the Bose 201 Series IV speakers and I figured that the Bose VCS-10 center channel would be worthless. To my surprise it looks like the VCS-10 is going for about $150 on ebay and the 201's only get about $90. This totally shocked me because the VCS-10 is probably the worst sounding speaker I have ever encountered. It was so bad that I bought an Athena WS-60 just to get me by until I could afford a real speaker. The 201's are just poor speakers but I thought they would get more than $90. So why is this VCS-10 such a hot speaker? It isn't that small, it is not wall mountable, and it sounds absolutely horrid.


Are the 201 speakers really bad speakers or are they just overpriced speakers for what you pay for them. They just sound flat in my system and I am hoping for a big difference with the ERA speakers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd /forum/post/0


Why do Bose speakers fetch so much on ebay?


I was given most of a 5 piece Bose system and after suffering with it for 3 years I have decided to sell it and by a real system(ERA design 4's all the way around). I was hoping I could get about $150 for the Bose 201 Series IV speakers and I figured that the Bose VCS-10 center channel would be worthless. To my surprise it looks like the VCS-10 is going for about $150 on ebay and the 201's only get about $90. This totally shocked me because the VCS-10 is probably the worst sounding speaker I have ever encountered. It was so bad that I bought an Athena WS-60 just to get me by until I could afford a real speaker. The 201's are just poor speakers but I thought they would get more than $90. So why is this VCS-10 such a hot speaker? It isn't that small, it is not wall mountable, and it sounds absolutely horrid.


Are the 201 speakers really bad speakers or are they just overpriced speakers for what you pay for them. They just sound flat in my system and I am hoping for a big difference with the ERA speakers.

Deleted
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,482 Posts
Dude. $90 and $150 are both "junk speaker" pricing, so dont worry about it.


Yes you can find good speakers at that price, but dont blame Bose for selling lots of speakers at junk prices. Theres a sucker born every minute, and they need speakers too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
I've seen morons know so little about the laws of physics in audio reproduction that a pair of Bose Acoustitrash satellites WITHOUT the "bass module" went for over $300 on eBay... I think it was $304 or $306, can't remember. I couldn't believe my eyes.


It is complete ignorance, along with the results of brand recognition and effective marketing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,141 Posts
Definitely brand recognition. I'll admit it, I owned a Bose Cinemate system for all of about 16 hours because I wanted something small and simple for my living room. What a mistake. I think I had it hooked up for about 4 hours before I packed it back up again... The sad thing is that the same system gets tons of positive reviews on CC and Amazon. Sad...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So my question is are the Bose 201 speakers really bad speakers or are they just over priced for what you get? I was surprised that those speakers don't sell very well but the really poor speakers that they make sell like hot cakes. Yea I am planning on putting my entire 5 piece Bose set up on craigslist for pretty close to what they were originally purchased for. I bet I will sell them for that too! I will be that much closer to decent sound once I get the ERA speakers.


Has Bose ever made a decent product? I listened to the new Bose Studio on Wheels system in the brand new 2007 Infiniti G35. I actually thought that it was a decent sound system. It was so much better than the Bose system in my 05 G35 that I would actually consider getting the 07. Has anyone compared the Lexus Mark Levinson systems to the new Infiniti Bose system. Are they close?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,963 Posts
Lots of people like Bose speakers.


In my opinion they make some decent products and some bad ones. And I think there are many "audiophile approved" products that cost more and perform worse than some Bose products.


In any event it seems to be an audiophile rite of passage to rap Bose products, then one matures and realizes to each his own.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd /forum/post/0


Yea I am planning on putting my entire 5 piece Bose set up on craigslist for pretty close to what they were originally purchased for. I bet I will sell them for that too! I will be that much closer to decent sound once I get the ERA speakers.


I put an AM16 setup on craigslist a couple of years ago and got almost what I paid for them 5 years earlier.


I tell you that place is for people who have no clue what they are buying, which is great when you are selling. The computer section is the worst. I have seen 700 mHz Pentium 3 laptops listed for $600, and I just know it sold for that. I have also seen people selling 5 year old "gaming" systems for over $1000.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes it is a bit of Bose Bashing but also a request for some information. I still have not received a response on whether the Bose 201 speakers are actually poor speakers or just over priced speakers. I know that a lot of people bash their acoustimass speakers but there does not appear to be as much information on the 201 speakers. Are these decent budget speakers? Are they equivalent to any Polks, Athena, or HTD speakers? I have the Bose 201s and I don't think they sound good. However, I don't think the Polks in that price range sound a whole lot better. What speakers in that price range will sound a lot better than the Bose?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd /forum/post/0


Yes it is a bit of Bose Bashing but also a request for some information. I still have not received a response on whether the Bose 201 speakers are actually poor speakers or just over priced speakers. I know that a lot of people bash their acoustimass speakers but there does not appear to be as much information on the 201 speakers. Are these decent budget speakers? Are they equivalent to any Polks, Athena, or HTD speakers? I have the Bose 201s and I don't think they sound good. However, I don't think the Polks in that price range sound a whole lot better. What speakers in that price range will sound a lot better than the Bose?

Good question.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerj105 /forum/post/0


I got about $1300 a month ago for a used Lifestyle 50 system.

I got more for my old JVC TH-A10R and i would place it in the same category


a.k.a ''out of the box''


i think that's the whole deal... and i agree.... you can get better, but most people buy it for a reason. (small) and it's the wife who does it! Pure evil.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
136 Posts
I think BOSE put out some of the BEST sounding speakers on the market! I now have some new BOSE 901 series 6 speakers and I like these better than ANYTHING on the market! These speakers just get you CLOSER to LIVE MUSIC than anything I have ever heard.......and I have heard alot of really good speakers in my time!........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiSoundGuy /forum/post/0


I think BOSE put out some of the BEST sounding speakers on the market!

Yes and no..... Every brand has a good model / overpriced and the else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiSoundGuy /forum/post/0


I now have some new BOSE 901 series 6 speakers and I like these better than ANYTHING on the market! These speakers just get you CLOSER to LIVE MUSIC than anything I have ever heard.......and I have heard alot of really good speakers in my time!........

I'm sure it does
but your talking about your time ? when was that ? year 1800 1900 .. i'm sorry but there's allot better now



I dislike the fact that your claiming that these sound better then the rest.. wich is the same Bose is doing.


Anyway's im gone enjoy my B&W's in the mean time
wich i think sound better then any bose system.
 
1 - 20 of 111 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top