AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it due to material ? or configuring? or both?

or none of the above

·
Registered
26,449 Posts
Do they sound different in a controlled test?

subjectively they can sound different because of label, price, looks, etc.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I have long had the same question. Someone was explaining how they sounded different, so I PM'd them and asked how they knew this - if they had a way to listen to the chips in isolation. They explained that they did not, and had to base their analysis on some guesswork.

·
Registered
12,439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/16850349

I have long had the same question. Someone was explaining how they sounded different, so I PM'd them and asked how they knew this - if they had a way to listen to the chips in isolation. They explained that they did not, and had to base their analysis on some guesswork.
Very EZ..

The silicon providers of DACs, ADCs provide EVMs (evaluation modules) and these are easily connected with the DSP processor boards. Often we have compared the DACs from Burr Brown, Cirrus Logic, Wolfson, AKM, ADI.

There are very significant, audible differences between these very similar to those one may hear when comparing loudspeakers...

The DACs and ADCs are segmented into 2 primary categories, the 1st are the parts used in the mass market, big-box makers AVRs such as Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon, Sony & Panasonic these are usually 6 or 8 channels within 1 IC. And the 2nd segment of the higher-end DACs which are usually just 2-CH so here 4 ICs must be used in a 7.1 AVR. Note that the cost of a quality single, 2-CH DAC is typically higher in cost than the 8 channel all-in-1 integrated chip.

Final note..

When looking at the electrical specifications for the DACs be very careful as often a numbers game is played similar to the wattage jungle. As often no level, or filter type is disclosed yet the silicon maker is stating a Signal-to-noise ratio of 110dB..

Just my $0.025...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.