Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching ABC Monday Night Football last night

and it looked perfect but about every 5 minutes or so I was getting drop-outs...my question is why does that occur? is it lack of calibration on my behalf? to my limited knowledge on this is that since it is a digital signal you either get it or you don't so I would assume that my antenna is pointed correctly. Any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I know what you mean. I am also struggling with this issue. I calibrated my outside antennae to the point where I get a solid 100 signal. SIt back with a beer to watch football - and get these drop outs. I quickly jump over to the SETUP menu to check the signal strength -- low an behold, the signal intermitently drops to something like 35 to 50 ... then back up to 100. Then sits solid at 100 .. of course until the next time.

I just don't get it. It's almost like there's interference or something. Granted, there are some large trees in between me and the towers. But I wouldn't expect such intermittent drop outs. If I'm already calibrated at 100, would additional GAIN actually help? Anyone ??

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
There are so many things that can cause drop outs, even if you have your antenna properly pointed. Electrical surges from any source, and especially weather. Fog, rain, even wind that might move some tree branches in the way. It's never a perfect way to receive your picture, that's just the nature of it. Just make sure you are using a good antenna and preamp, that's all you can do.

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
It probably is interference. There is really nothing you can do if you have good signal strength. These could also be errors originating within the broadcast plant.

This is still new technology. It will get better.

One thing I would check - is your electrical power stable? Make sure these hits aren't happening when the air conditioner or refrigerator starts.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was raining all of last night so it may have been that. As for a preamp I bought one and put it on and it made the picture look a little worse believe it or not. I've read that before that preamps don't always help.

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CodeEcks
I've read that before that preamps don't always help.
That is most correct.

1) If you have good signal strength, a preamp can overload the receiver front end.

2) Anytime an RF signal is amplified, there are harmonics generated. In layman's terms these additional but unwanted signals can confuse the receiver, especially a digital one.

With RF, more is not better!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Multipath would be the number one suspect if signal strength is generally adaquate. Evidently the receivers today canont tolerate the same signal arriving at slightly different times. It screws with the digital synch. One source of intermittent multipath rarely considered are aircraft. In suburban areas they could be the main contributor. It is very easy to bounce strong UHF signals off of a 747.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.