AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this has been asked but my searches have turned up nill.

The X1 is my second projector and I just flipped the 800 hour mark it and only have one complaint , I wish the image was abit more detailed and sharper. BTW 95% of my viewing on the X1 is DVDs.

My first projector was a Fujitsu XGA LCD unit , as I recall it was about as bright as the X1 but the blacks and colors on the X1 are much better.

Also as I recall the sharpness and detail were about the same for DVDs..so this would lead me to believe that the lack of detail compared to a CRT TV

is due to something other than the resolution of the DLP panel.

Is it the brightness..contrast..resolution or just the digital projector technology in general that are causing the image to appear a tad soft and lacking certain details such as sweat and other minor details?

Scenes with alot of color and brightness dont seem to lack detail as much so it would lead me to believe that more brightness would solves some of this but then again when you add more brightness to black it gets washed out so I am no so sure this would solve it either.

Dont get me wrong here...I love my X1 and I dont see the need to upgrade for at least a year . Its really surprising that I have only this complaint after 800 hours...most of my complaining dollars have went to other portions of my HT. :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
how is it connected?? if you are using composite, then that sounds like what you are explaining...

how about a cheap Svideo cable... too long of a run, electrical interference, etc... that sounds like it too...

using a cheap quality DVD player?? use a high quality Svideo cable might yield better results than a progressive player hooked up to the VGA port...

I have a nice Sony standard def TV, and it doesn't even come close to my X1 played through the same DVD player... no question... look through some of the screen shots of various peoples' X1s and see if you not seeing the same thing... did you use a calibration disk to balance color and black/white levels?? are you using keystoning??

what is your reference?? have you hooked up a HD signal??

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am probably just pickier than you are, I have tried all sorts of playback possiblities, I currently use a Faroudja DCDi based player via component > VGA. After 800 hours I have had plenty of time to try different settings and connectivity options, I feel as though the X1s pic is about as good as it will ever get.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
my X1, connected via a 25ft. component cable via my avr630 and using 480p from the DVD player for a 88" diag image, looks sharp and clear. I watched 2 DVDs last night: "down with love" and "the 6th day". Down with love is rich in color and contrast and really shows off the X1 well.

You should always re-focus your pj after any adjustments.

·
Registered
162 Posts
there must be something wrong with your player. Because my picture is incredibly sharp. I'm using normal s-video with a sony dvd player and it looks fantastic. If I could totally get rid of the vertical banding this would be the best 1,000 bucks I've ever spent.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I don't have any complaints about detail or sharpness when compared to my RPTV. The X1's black levels are lacking in comparison, but nothing else IMO. This is comparing the X1 to a 65" HDTV.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess to each his own then... I can assure you that nothing is wrong with my player because its my second one.

Again its pretty minor so only someone as picky as I am would notice it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I notice the same thing but I think it is because the source (dvd 480i) is only so good and it is blown up to probably 400% more area than your analog crt size. Also some dvd tranfers are just bad when compared to others.

I'm a former lifetime small display, analog crt user.

Even when I go to a movie theater the film seems out of focus and lacking detail compared to a small crt display.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
So other than assuring everyone how much more discerning and discriminating you are than they are what was the point of your post?

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whatever....and the only comments I got were people telling me that I dont have my X1 set-up right...all of them have less than 100 posts here at AVS.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by James W. Johnson
I am probably just pickier than you are, I have tried all sorts of playback possiblities, I currently use a Faroudja DCDi based player via component > VGA. After 800 hours I have had plenty of time to try different settings and connectivity options, I feel as though the X1s pic is about as good as it will ever get.
I observed the same thing with the same type of component hookup --- then I tried the S video input and it made a huge difference. It sounds contrary to what the prevailing wisdom dictates, but this pj does better with s video.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by netman
So other than assuring everyone how much more discerning and discriminating you are than they are what was the point of your post?
Oh, I don't know. Maybe it seems less sharp than your Toshiba CRT because the pixels are all blowed up? Could be. Don't know. I'm not as discriminating or as smart as some of y'all city folk.

·
Registered
108 Posts
so James, your saying that the number of posts that I have made has something to do with my intellectual ability to over-scrutinize my image quality like a 450 poster such as your self??

so you're questioning my intelligence?? or my eye sight?? I guess my measly college education can't compare to your snotty rhetoric...

why the slap in the face?? you came here to complain or seek help?? you spent $1000 on the best bang for the buck projector on the market and you're mad cause it doesn't live up to your expectations of the $20,000 setup that you saw at your friends house...

but I promise from this day forth, I promise to make posts (such as this one) to increase my count, so that I can get my rightful respect...

my point still stands unanswered -- what is your setup?? how cheap was your cable?? these are fair questions to ask - you bought budget - not top of the line - so for me to question if you bought a $10 cable when a $100 would have been better is pretty on target... are you keystoning your image?? but you can duck and hide under the guise that your professionally trained eye doesn't see the $10,000 quality in your $1000 projector...

( www.m-w.com - so you can look up the big words)

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bugg
I observed the same thing with the same type of component hookup --- then I tried the S video input and it made a huge difference. It sounds contrary to what the prevailing wisdom dictates, but this pj does better with s video.
What dvd player do you use?

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dave, thanks for the response. You know , its been a long time since I hooked up the S-video and used the on-board processing.

After reading your post I connected the s-video up to my player...my player allows a simultanious progressive and interlaced signal so I could switch back and forth between the two images.

I watched a few different movies including the one that sort of set all this off, 'O' Brother Where Art Though' , I do think that the s-video beat out the progressive for this particular movie with its rather bland color palate.

I also watched a few scenes from 'A Bug's Life' and it too looked a tad bit better than my DVD player which BTW uses a FLI2200 chip and does as good a job as my old RP62 and the Denon 1600 I had for a short while.

This is interesting because I was pretty sure that any of my DVD players did a better job than the X1s deinterlacer when I first got it, I spent alot of time with s-video and component for the first 200-300 hours and its been component ever since.

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
Quote:
This is interesting because I was pretty sure that any of my DVD players did a better job than the X1s deinterlacer when I first got it, I spent alot of time with s-video and component for the first 200-300 hours and its been component ever since.
James - I don't quite understand your statement. You thought your DVD players were better at deinterlacing than the X1 and yet you chose to use the component interlaced route (s-video) for your players? And it's been component ever since. Do you mean progressive via VGA ever since? I'm probably just not reading it right. (And, of course, my thinking cap might be on a bit crooked. :confused: )

I do find the image clearer and less electronic looking via the computer input but that is only with my RP62. My other two progressives (JVC HR-vxc30u and Toshiba SD-K730) don't do as well as the Panny (or the X1!). Admittedly the JVC is a combo player, but the Toshiba does have a very nice Svideo (with or with out component adapter) image. For some DVD's I like the interlaced connection as I can help the picture out a bit. But 95% of the time it's the Panny via computer input that gives me the best image.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Cyrano
James - I don't quite understand your statement. You thought your DVD players were better at deinterlacing than the X1 and yet you chose to use the component interlaced route (s-video) for your players? And it's been component ever since. Do you mean progressive via VGA ever since? I'm probably just not reading it right. (And, of course, my thinking cap might be on a bit crooked. :confused: )

COMPONENT (aka VGA on the X1) not COMPOSITE. ;)

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
Quote:
COMPONENT (aka VGA on the X1) not COMPOSITE. ;)
Component can be used via Svideo (non-progressive) and VGA (progressive) to the X1. I have tried both adapters. Composite was not mentioned anywhere that I saw. Where did composite come into it.

These terms can be a bit vexing, can't they. ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.