AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my 360 hooked up to my 7.1 receiver, have Paradigm phantom V4 fronts, Paradigm PDR 12, a Polk center and Infinity rears and the games are very loud. Now when I put in a DVD and watch something like the Illusionist, I have to turn up the volume on the receiver from say 25(game volume) to 40( movie volume) to make the movie loud enough for me. I don't remember having to do this for the dedicated DVD player that I used to have. I realize that games are mixed differently, but should there be that much disperity in volume?

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Good question....I was wondering the same thing. God forbid I forget to turn the volume back down after watching a DVD and a game starts up, cause the wife starts complaining as it wakes the whole house up.

It wouldn't be so annoying if the games weren't at least 3 times as loud as everything else. I was wondering if I have a setting wrong somewhere, but the XBOX is relatively new, so I just haven't looked at it that much.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Same for me as well compared to other components. I usually listen to my DVD player at about -25 and at launch when I got the 360 and played COD2 I was like holy s**t I have to turn it down. I play it at about -40 and it still is too loud with some of the explosions in various games.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Both my 360 and the Xbox pump out the volume a lot harder than any of my DVD sources -- including using the 360 for DVD playback. This has been the case for both my receivers. I've accepted it as a fact of life at this point...

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I've noticed my HD-DVD's are much quieter then games and have to boost the volume. In fact, compared to watching dvd's on my old dvd player I have the movies about 10 clicks louder for HD-DVD's. Also, watching HD on cables is the exact same way (10 settings lower then the 360 movie sound settings).

I can't remember what I watched normal DVD's on my 360 at though.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I haven't watched any DVDs or HD-DVDs, but in my experience there is no standard for volume with 360 games. Most are pretty loud compared to music streamed or the voice chat, and some seem to be through-the-roof loud, like the 2K sports games. All are louder than the other components I have connected to my receiver.

All games should include a master volume control, to make it easier to use the 'voice chat through speakers' or at least make it useful. Really, they need to give us more control over voice chat volume as well, and should put a master game volume control in the dashboard as well. As it is, games without master volume controls of themselves are useless for 'voice through speakers' for those that want to use headphones.

·
Registered
208 Posts
GoW actually has separate volume sliders for FX, in-game voice, and music. Since these are the only three separate controls, it is fairly easy to acheive a reasonable mix with streamed music or even voice chat over speakers. Test Drive is an example of a game that has a master volume control, as well as a host of individual sliders for in-game sounds, such as your car, other cars, ambient sound, GPS voice, etc. If there were no master volume control in TDU, mixing for streaming music or voice over speakers would be very clumsy.

Clumsy is the best way to descrive the sound options in 2K's college hoops. Lacking a master volume control, that game has many individual sliders to control each area of in-game sounds, such as crowd, crowd chants, bands, play by play, on-court sounds, and FX. This makes it tedious and difficult to mix the sound well to streamed music or voice chat over speakers, and it's made even more lumsy by the fact that there is no feedback to the user as you adjust these individual volume controls; rather you have to go back into gameplay so see what '2' on the slider means on crowd sounds versus what '2' on the slider means on play by play.

Finally, SC: DA is an example of a game with no audio controls whatsoever, at least in MP. Lacking both a master volume control, and any kind of individual game sound controls makes it impossible to play the game using voice chat over speakers, which is a way to use headphones for game sound and voice chat while playing.

The bottom line is that there is no standard for audio controls on the 360, and each game handles it differently, some more user-friendly than others.

·
Registered
351 Posts
i think it is louder because the drive is spinning the disc faster while playing games

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Does your fronts sound ok since they aren't really Timbre matched?

As far as I can tell they sound fine. My wife would not allow me to get Paradigms for the center and rears(I should have done that before I got married

As for whether I have the individual game's volume cranked, I don't have them turned all the way up. I don't know if this problem occured with my old Kenwood receiver as I did not really use the xbox 360 for movie watching till the new receiver. It is good to see that I was not the only one with this question. Thanks for the replies and info.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
DVD movies are always quiet compared to everything on my system. When I play games or watch TV the volume is pretty low but when I am watching a movie I have to turn the receiver up pretty high to hear everything. This happens if I play the movie off the DVD player, PS3, 360, or stream it off my computer to my modded Xbox. It doesn't really bother me but I think I have just gotten used to it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.