Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just finished intalling my OTA antenna & after I did a scan for all the channels I have 2 PBS digital on is WBPT-DT 2-1, WBPT-SNC 2-3, Any clue ?

Also the programs from CBS that dont fill the screen is there a way I can fill it up, I am using a DST-3000 w/ CW34X52 TV, I try to do crop/Letterbox but it will not change..

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
ATSC provides stations the ability to transmit more than one program stream at a time. The primary program stream will always be labeled, in WPBT-DT's case, "2-1." Sub-channels that can carry additional programs are labeled "2-2, 2-3, 2-4", etc. For some reason WPBT-DT has been transmitting a sub-channel labeled 2-3 for a few weeks now with no programming on it.

I don't know whether your STB allows you to alter the 16:9 aspect-ratio while receiving a 1080i or 720p signal. Most do not. I understand that the Echostar 6000 box will.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually it was transmitting the same program on both channels.

I read the entire manual and it does not say if I can swith to full mode with a picture that is not 1080i using the HD outputs.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
My guess is that if the receiver were able to zoom or stretch in HD mode that you would accomplish it in the same way that you do it in SD mode.

If the receiver has a 480i, NTSC-compatible video output via composite or an S-Video connector, you could connect that output to a like connector on your monitor. Then your monitor could do the zooming or stretching for you. The downside is that you'd be viewing your monitor's upconverter rather than the one used by the station, which is always going to look better. When an HD show is on you can go back to the HD output of the receiver.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Our local PBS station (WGBH-DT/Boston) also recently started multicasting their SD channel on 2-1 & 2-2 when they aren't broadcasting HD.

They're still in the testing phase, however, so this will probably change when things settle down and they go full-power. (hopefully with a dedicated HD channel!)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The weird thing that both channels were transmitting in HD last night.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I have never seen them send two HD program streams at once. In 1080i there's not even enough payload available. Is it possible that they were sending two SD Widescreen programs in 480i at once? It is also possible to send on HD and one or two SD streams at once.

Which show were you watching?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jluzbet
The weird thing that both channels were transmitting in HD last night.
Thats normal behaviour for the Hughes/Tosh/Mits STB. If you switch to a subchannel that currently is not active, it will look for another subchannel on the same frequency that is, so switching to the inactive 2-2 switched you to the active 2-1.

Tony

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't remember the program name but it was around 10:00 PM.

Another thing that I noted was that switching from those 2 channels on of the had like a 2 second delay with the other channel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.