AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I have a very good Marantz processor, is there a way of foregoing a sound card completely and getting the digital stream directly to the processor?

I notice that my DVD Rom drive has a digital out connector that is unused. Is that for video or audio or both?

What is the cleanest and simplest way to get SP/DIF out from the PC to my Marantz?

Is a soundcard the only way to acheive a clean SP/DIF out? What about some of the newer motherboards with onboard SP/DIF out?

·
Registered
31 Posts
SP/DIF's, for computer use, are ALWAYS connected to a sound card. Even the ones build onto the motherboards (The new Asus A7N8X Deluxe is an example) use them.

However, I just saw a unique device advertised from Harmon Kardon (can't spell it because I don't deal with them much, too $$) is now producing a USB-2-SP/DIF adapter for hooking computers up directly to recievers and such. The damned little adapter cost $150 though!

Btw, what's a "marantz" processor? I'm assuming it's either high end audio or home theatre equipment, considering I've never even heard of it. :eek:

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Quote:
I notice that my DVD Rom drive has a digital out connector that is unused. Is that for video or audio or both?
Baasically for CD audio. The audio tracks on DVDs are encrypted and require decryption before being sent to the receiver.

Either a $30 souncard or the built in spdif of some motherboards would work fine. Stay away from anything Creative.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
How about with the Asus P4PE mobo's? They have SP/DIF on the mobo. You don't connect the mobo to the soundcard and then the soundcard to the receiver do you?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Also, the digital audio connector on dvd-roms are for audio, no audio cable is really even necessary if you use WinME, 2K or XP, since they can read the audio off of the disc as data, digitally speaking. :)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
My sound card cost $14 and came with WinDVD. It has optical outputs or can be had cheaper with Coax. I plug it directly into my receiver optical input.

The sound card likely needs to have 5.1 processing or the DVD tracks are not properly transferred. You don't want to loose the LFE channel which is what happens with certain DVD players and my sound card. This is probably a driver issue.

My sound card (and the Asus motherboard and 15 other soundards) has the C-Media chipset. For $14 you really can't go wrong.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is wrong with Creative Soundblaster cards?

Has anyone tried the new Audigy 2 Platinum yet?

DVD_Audio, Firewire, digital and analog inputs and outputs......

Seems like a feature packed 24/192 x 6 channel card that is THX certified.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SteroMAdMAn
How about with the Asus P4PE mobo's? They have SP/DIF on the mobo. You don't connect the mobo to the soundcard and then the soundcard to the receiver do you?
You have a S/PDIF connector (it takes up a PCI slot on the case )that connects to the MOBO, you connect theTOSLINK or Coax to the receiver

Pierre

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
AudioExcel AV515M Digital 6-Channel PCI Sound Card

This is the same board as the Chaintech, the Nightengale, THeaterExcel and several others. I tried drivers from a number of sources and they all worked.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Soundblaster Extigy is an external 96khz/24bit USB Dolby Digital 5.1 Processor with Optical in/out and S/PDIF in and out as well as analog outs for 5.1 speakers. Also line in/out and mic. I have the SPDIF coax out going to my 5.1 Amp and the Extigy attaches to the HTPC via USB. All digital to the AMP with ZERO noise!!

Marc

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
I just ordered the AudioExcel card with the $2.00 audio cable. I wasn't sure if I could use it but for two bucks I thought maybe... How is this spdif to spdif cable used?

Jack

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Isn't there a difference between sound cards? Even though it outputs

SPDIF?

Nicholas

·
Registered
13 Posts
IUnknown,

Ok, I bought one of the Chaintech AV515M cards that come with a separate

optical out TOSLINK I/O card. The big problem is that I'm running Windows

XP Pro and I can't enable the Optical Out! I downloaded the XP drivers

from Chaintech, but I can't find any control to enable SPDIF output...aargh!

Are you running Windows XP? Can anyone help me out with how to enable

the Optical SPDIF output?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I'm not familier with Chaintech cards, but you may wish to check/change your windows setting to S/PDIF.

Start > Control Panel (I'm using classic view) > Sounds & Audio

Front the Audio tab

Check the Default device pulldown list to see if there's anything like S/PDIF.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Iunknown,

Can you tell me what the output voltage is for the AudioExcel? I've misplaced my manual and the manual on the CDROM does not show a specification table that I seem to recall was in the printed manual. I'm still getting distortion out of the rear channel and I'm wondering if it might be too much voltage for my Denon receiver.

Also, what DIP switch setting did you use? The terminology in the manual is confusing to me. Actually, all this stuff is confusing to me.

Jack

·
Registered
13 Posts
OK, I figured out how to do it.

First of all, the control is in the Audio Rack application - which would not

run under Windows XP, and there is no XP version on the Chaintech

website.

After reading that the Zoltrix Nightingale 6 was "the same card", I went

looking on the Zoltrix website and found an XP compatible version of

the AudioRack - which worked!

After configuring the card for 2 speaker support, I was able to enable

the Optical out...and BTW, the same sound is sent out both the analog

stereo and PCM encoded SPDIF output - which is what I also wanted.

So, I am now very happy!

·
Registered
202 Posts
You can always go to the cmedia web site at www.cmedia.com.tw and download both drivers and audio applications for XP. The site is slow as hell but there is an XP version of the apps.

Jim

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.