AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys. Pardon my ignorance. But on a riser. If I'm not putting a base kicker on my chairs, I understand that I still want to insulate it so it doesn't sound like a drum.

But Why do I still want to make sure it's detached from the walls and floor?

Can I build my rises befor sheetrock and attach the riser to the walls? What is the down side?

And a Stage. If I'm not setting my speakers on the stage, do I really need the sand?

Thanks!!

·
Banned
3,550 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjeffryes /forum/post/12923218

Okay guys. Pardon my ignorance. But on a riser. If I'm not putting a base kicker on my chairs, I understand that I still want to insulate it so it doesn't sound like a drum.

But Why do I still want to make sure it's detached from the walls and floor?

Sound will travel through your riser to your wall called flanking.

Quote:
Can I build my rises befor sheetrock and attach the riser to the walls? What is the down side?

If you need to attach it to the walls use isolation clips. This is done before the drywall.

Quote:
And a Stage. If I'm not setting my speakers on the stage, do I really need the sand?

Using a more heavy type of framing, more so than a typical 2X4 but rather a 2X6's for example will add more mass and typically give better results.

If you are not planning on having speakers on your stage then sand may or may not be of any additional benefit. You want it to be very secure and heavy in mass. Sand is typically less expensive than heavy wood depending on your area.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts