AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have paradigm studio 40's paired with a Primaluna prologue and an HSU sub. They are 8ft apart, 10ft from my couch - and on the floor. The 40's are bookshelf, not floorstanding, but every time I put them up on stands I loose so much of the sound - the separation, the soundstage and the mid bass. It's amazing how much the stands negatively impact the sound. But in theory, getting them to ear height should be an improvement. So what's going on here? Any ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
I have Paradigm Studio 20's on their matching stands,first time in my life I have bought stands,always made my own until now.If your speakers sound better on the floor then that is where you want them.Since speaker placement is all about getting the most from your speakers then you have accomplished that.Don't try to fix what isn't broke.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,063 Posts
Having the speakers on the floor should make the bass louder, but perhaps mostly in the mid-bass. Also 8 feet is probably too far apart for any sort of imaging. DO NOT toe them in; they should point straight ahead. A few inches or less can make a lot of difference, so try many different spacings.


I suspect that your stands are not massive enough or rigid enough to couple the speakers to the floor properly. They either work properly, or they will suck (as you have already noticed...lol).


90% of people do not have good stands, or understand how they must function.


The stands need to be relatively massive and very rigid; most wood stands are very poor.


Reviewers and professionals always get rigid STEEL stands and fill the center column with lead or steel bird shot for mass (or sand is OK), and have floor spikes on the stand base. NEVER put stands on carpeting without floor spikes to punch through to the floor. Bird shot can be bought at hunting supply stores.


Ideally, the stand and speaker are a rigid unit, closely coupled to the floor. Do not put any isolators or soft feet under the speaker itself. I put four pennies under them


For good imaging, you want the main midrange driver at ear level, but for good bass the speaker needs that rigid coupling to the floor.


The SANUS STEEL FOUNDATIONS dual-column stands are one that I can recommend that is not too expensive. Many speaker companies make their own high-quality stands but typically charge hundreds of dollars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjess  /t/1522598/why-do-my-stands-make-such-a-negative-difference#post_24484246


I have paradigm studio 40's paired with a Primaluna prologue and an HSU sub. They are 8ft apart, 10ft from my couch - and on the floor. The 40's are bookshelf, not floorstanding, but every time I put them up on stands I loose so much of the sound - the separation, the soundstage and the mid bass. It's amazing how much the stands negatively impact the sound. But in theory, getting them to ear height should be an improvement. So what's going on here? Any ideas?


Sure, when they are on the floor you are causing them to vibrate the floor which will add some bass volume to the presentation - and certainly not clean bass at that. It isn't a good way to get bass. Run, don't walk to the store or your computer and order a subwoofer. Integrate it with your speakers and put the speakers on the stands. That way you will get full range sound without resorting to trying to get your little speakers to produce bass by vibrating the floor. The difference will startle you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW  /t/1522598/why-do-my-stands-make-such-a-negative-difference#post_24486007


Sure, when they are on the floor you are causing them to vibrate the floor which will add some bass volume to the presentation - and certainly not clean bass at that. It isn't a good way to get bass. Run, don't walk to the store or your computer and order a subwoofer. Integrate it with your speakers and put the speakers on the stands. That way you will get full range sound without resorting to trying to get your little speakers to produce bass by vibrating the floor. The difference will startle you.

He has an HSU sub?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers  /t/1522598/why-do-my-stands-make-such-a-negative-difference#post_24486084


He has an HSU sub?

Thanks. Talk about running around in left field, huh? Then all I can say is that he prefers the muffled sound he gets by floor placement. We all like different things, I guess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,063 Posts
By the way-


The BEST speaker stands I have ever used, for great mass and solidity, are 8"x 8"x 6" stacked concrete blocks.


They are very cheap and work very well.


As for aesthetic considerations, I cover them with a draped black king pillowcase so that all you see is the draped fabric.


It looks pretty good; not unlike some pedestals used for vases etc. in art galleries.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,063 Posts
The floor coupling does NOT significatly "vibrate the floor"; that is nonsense! It certainly will not vibrate a concrete floor at all!


The sound wave TRAVELS along the floor, much as a microwave travels along the wall of a waveguide.


The floor provides a boundary for the wave to travel along, which helps it to propagate effectively within the room.


Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW  /t/1522598/why-do-my-stands-make-such-a-negative-difference#post_24486007


Sure, when they are on the floor you are causing them to vibrate the floor which will add some bass volume to the presentation - and certainly not clean bass at that. It isn't a good way to get bass. Run, don't walk to the store or your computer and order a subwoofer. Integrate it with your speakers and put the speakers on the stands. That way you will get full range sound without resorting to trying to get your little speakers to produce bass by vibrating the floor. The difference will startle you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1522598/why-do-my-stands-make-such-a-negative-difference#post_24489533


The floor coupling does NOT significatly "vibrate the floor"; that is nonsense! It certainly will not vibrate a concrete floor at all!


The sound wave TRAVELS along the floor, much as a microwave travels along the wall of a waveguide.


The floor provides a boundary for the wave to travel along, which helps it to propagate effectively within the room.

Thanks but I know better.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top