AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just have to ask and perhaps include some social comentary with my question.

As a plasma and LCD owner I visit both threads and make comments positve and negitive about plasma's and LCD's.

But one thing that I find very interesting is if a forum member makes any postive comments in the plasma section that forum member gets ripped a new one,,, it gets downright mean here from plasma owners.

At the same time, if a forum member post's any positve comments about plasma's in the LCD section it's not a big deal.

Sure, there is a few LCD owners that will slam some one for saying anything positive about a plasma in the LCD section.

But if any positive comments are made about LCD in the plasma section it seems like the gates of hell open up.

I never really noticed it untill I owned both LCD and plasma and started visiting both thread sections on a regular basis.

Anyhow, it's just something that I find very odd and was wondering why plasma owners get so much more upset than LCD owners ?

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hey man, i guess your opinion will be much valuable as PLASMA+LCD owner.

Can PS2-PS3-Xbox360 and so... owner bay a PLASMA ? Or plasmas aren't designed for play games on it and will have BURN-IN?

LCD Quality SUCKS man but how i see no gamers on PLASMA section.

What do you think?

·
Registered
964 Posts
I think a lot of them switched from owning a LCD to now owning a plasma, and they're using some of their emotions from their personal experience in their responses.

I personally don't understand how anyone would want LCD after now owning a plasma. I recently sold my LCD because plasma was that much better.

I don't hate LCD, I just don't think it's as good as plasma.

It could be too that a lot of plasma sets have gotten a bad rep from people who have never owned one. IE all the accounts of IR/Burn-in, or that they aren't as reliable as LCD... Which we all know is not as accurate as some would think.

And I also think that that fear mongering has led to manufacturers discontinuing their plasma sets... Which is a damn shame because they are truly a better picture than most LCD sets...

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Should I run that through babelfish Geogamer ^^ ?

Anyway dayvo..

I think the reason you see more hatred for lcd on the plasma forum is due to the fact that plasma owners are more passionate videophiles, while lcd is the default choice for the general consumer at large. Also, many plasmaphiles (I created a new word
) are worried that their technology of choice is getting squeezed out of the market by lcd...

·
Premium Member
10,566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo /forum/post/16929229

Anyhow, it's just something that I find very odd and was wondering why plasma owners get so much more upset than LCD owners ?

Your sample size is too small which has led you to an incorrect conclusion.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Davyo has referenced this a few times in his posts recently and frankly I haven't observed it at all.

I guess it would really depend on what the remarks were, where they were placed, etc.

LCD has some very good points in it's favor. But the negatives are not easily overcome as they are inherent to the tech. Most Plaz problems are connected to lighting creating onscreen reflection (much less of a problem with good AR and AG) and IR which is largely a thing of the past with todays panels, at least those with some quality.

If there is any untoward resentment directed at the LCD crowd, it is most likely due to the presumed death of Plasma so loudly and consistently trumpeted for so long now by the LCD fanboys.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
I don't mind hearing positive things about LCDs. I welcome all relavent factual information about this great hobby.

I agree that you've inappropriately extrapolated comments you've heard and stereotyped plasma owners.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've only been here for a short time but so far this is what I've seen.

- LCD owners harping on the Plasma guys whenever the word LCD is mentioned.

- Plasma guys making fun of LCD owners for not knowing what true IQ is.

- There are many Fanboys of Panasonic and Samsung who argue more than the LCD vs Plasma guys.

Bottom line is that IQ is subjective. Purists like Plasma. People who like "pop" like LCD. It's all what you like. I personally like a little bit of both. Plasma is what I prefer, but that's just me. There are some traits that I wish my Plasma had when compared to LCD but there are just some things about LCD that I just can't handle.

I've also noticed that there are a lot of neutral people with good opinions and advice. It's these people that keep me coming back. So thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I own both. Panny 37" LZ800 LCD in a cabinet in my living room-works great (windows, even though the screen is reflective). Kuro 4280 on the wall in the bedroom... Soon-basement 54-V10 plasma. I prefer plasma for critical junk.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts

Quote:

But if any positive comments are made about LCD in the plasma section it seems like the gates of hell open up.

I never really noticed it untill I owned both LCD and plasma and started visiting both thread sections on a regular basis.

Davyo

Well I've been on the wrong side from the first day here. Had problems with plasma and found LCD worked better for me.

Change always comes hard for most but when change happens all will be on board. Everyone follows the money.

·
Registered
198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband /forum/post/16930486

Well I've been on the wrong side from the first day here. Had problems with plasma and found LCD worked better for me.

Change always comes hard for most but when change happens all will be on board. Everyone follows the money.

Well said! I now own 3 BD players and 2 HD. I still prefer HD, but I had to move on. Someday, even Lcd will be a thing of the past, it's all about money and newer technoligy.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think someone said it well that true videophiles go with plasma and the general public opt for lcd. Most of that because of the public being misinformed about plasma with the bs tales that follow them. I had one 'salesman' here tell people that plasma's need to be recharged every year and to go with lcd. Do you know how many people actually believe that?! My boss worked as a supervisor at one of these stores and he told me that there is a bigger profit margin with lcd's then there is with selling plasma. So I think that would explain the higher sales with lcd's over plasma and the lies that go with it. Since when did anything that was actually better ever win out, right? I think that's why plasma owners are more pasionate.

I myself went from a Sony XBR5 LCD(yes, I was brainwashed with the bs at one time also) to Pioneer Elite 111fd and never looked back. Have to say it was the viewing angle that annoyed me more than anything else with the lcd.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Well this is the PLASMA board. I understand if people go to the LCD board and start smack talking. If you want info as to why PLASMA owners purchased one and not an LCD, this is the place to be.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
I will soon be a Plasma and LCD owner (currently only own an LCD). I've only visited the LCD boards until now, and I've noticed a few members in particular who seem to be very immature and made negative remarks about LCD tech when it was simply brought into the discussion, not even as a recommendation.

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel /forum/post/16930803

I will soon be a Plasma and LCD owner (currently only own an LCD). I've only visited the LCD boards until now, and I've noticed a few members in particular who seem to be very immature and made negative remarks about LCD tech when it was simply brought it in the discussion, not even as a recommendation.

As you read the plasma forum more you'll start to recognize the regular trolls that have been around for years. Usually most of that knee-jerk reaction is directed toward their posts.

·
Registered
243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama127 /forum/post/16929315

Should I run that through babelfish Geogamer ^^ ?

Anyway dayvo..

I think the reason you see more hatred for lcd on the plasma forum is due to the fact that plasma owners are more passionate videophiles, while lcd is the default choice for the general consumer at large. Also, many plasmaphiles (I created a new word
) are worried that their technology of choice is getting squeezed out of the market by lcd...

Man, YOU SUCK...

I'm asking your opinion and you're laughing at me...

·
Registered
626 Posts
the same few lcd people are the ones that freak out.

i've seen pretty much the opposite.

If you post anything about a plasma on the LCD forum you will have the same guy, posting the same anti-plasma list.

Your recent posts are pretty much pro-lcd and you may have taken questions about viewing conditions/settings at bestbuy as 'opening the gates of hell'.

And calling the new samsung leds kuro killer is pretty much flame-bait.

·
Banned
10,928 Posts

Quote:

WHy do plasma owners get so MAD about any positive LCD comments ???

Why do LCD owners feel compelled to come into the PDP Forum and knock phosphor display technology?

You don't see us wasting our time in the LCD Forum.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.