AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,854 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandarf /forum/post/0

Fact is they don't, there's quite a few open baffle designs out there.

Not with the same design.

·
Registered
501 Posts
A box is needed if a speaker produces a backwave that would cancel lower frequencies and either act as a infinite baffle (close box) or have a tuned port to augment the forward sound (base reflex). Transducers that don't need boxes don't produce a substantial backwave. Closesd boxes if sealed can act as a suspension system to control cone motion. Before port tunning became a science discribed by mathmatical formula, it was more of an art and trial and error and closed box (acoustic suspension) was considered a more accurate base renditioner, but less efficient. Efficiency was important because of the limit power supply in amps. Speaker design was easier then and base response was limited only by the size of the box you were willing to put up with. Present day tuned ports produce accuate base from smaller enclosures and are usually more efficient given equal size to a sealed box design. A more efficient design tends to lend itself to less distortion from both the speaker and the amplifier. Everything is a compromise and speaker accuracy is best dealt with by both electronic evaluation and the human ear.......as far as the human ear is concerned, I would trust the evaluation of speaker accuracy more by a musician than all the self proclaimed "audiophiles" in the world: unless they were musicians as well; best of both worlds. And, speaker accuracy is as much dependent on the room it's played in as the box itself. So unless an "audiophile" comes to your home to evaluate the speaker...his/her opinion means jack......let speaker accuacy be your initial guide, and let your own opinion make the final judgement.

·
Registered
30,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconno /forum/post/0

Needed if a speaker produces a backwave that would cancel lower frequencies and either act as a infinite baffle (close box) or have a tuned port to augment the forward sound (base reflex). Transducers that don't need boxes don't produce a substantial backwave.

Can you give an example of a driver (aside from plasma) that do not produce a backwave equal to the front? Isn't that the real issue that requires isolation of the front wave from the back to avoid cancellation at the wavelengths of value?

·
Registered
501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/0

Can you give an example of a driver (aside from plasma) that do not produce a backwave equal to the front? Isn't that the real issue that requires isolation of the front wave from the back to avoid cancellation at the wavelengths of value?

Electrostatics are one type. Have you read "jhan's" exc. reference ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speaker_cabinet )> Lots of variation out there that are indeed expensive. It's interesting to note that speaker design, though improving, has not varied too much from initial concepts......the human ear hasn't changed too much over the years. Speaker structure close to human structure, in some opinions, seems to yield consistant results......paper drivers made of once living cellulous, same building building blocks for the human ear, have the potential to yield more consistant results with out complicated crossovers to eliminate spurious overtones that speakers made from "unnatural" speaker materials produce. Paper drivers have thier own problems as well....so goes the design circle.....but I repeat my assertion that...your room is at least as important as box and driver design.

In building speakers over the past 30+ years, best designs for the money have aways been around the small enclosed box with 6" woofer, tweet crossover

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
So the backwave of an electrostatic is of unsimilar magnitude to the front wave? I hope you're taking notes Kal.

·
Registered
30,819 Posts

Quote:

Electrostatics are one type.

Nope. They are dipoles with equal output on both sides.

Quote:
Have you read "jhan's" exc. reference ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speaker_cabinet )> Lots of variation out there that are indeed expensive. It's interesting to note that speaker design, though improving, has not varied too much from initial concepts......the human ear hasn't changed too much over the years. Speaker structure close to human structure, in some opinions, seems to yield consistant results......paper drivers made of once living cellulous, same building building blocks for the human ear, have the potential to yield more consistant results with out complicated crossovers to eliminate spurious overtones that speakers made from "unnatural" speaker materials produce.

This is nonsense. (And I speak as someone with years of experience in speaker design as well as a professorship in Neuroscience.)

So, any other suggestions for a speaker design that is not dipolar?

·
Registered
501 Posts
I guess you didn't read the entire remark....."In some opinions" prefaced the remark..I got the idea from an article written by another concerning the debate of different types of cone material entitled "Mother of Tone". Lots of other similar ideas have been voiced. My point was, do not dismiss one construction material over another.....Regardless of your credentials, I'll stand by what I said. I was relating a point of view held by some. As far as the comment about electrostatic, I was abviously in error....just as much as the people that say one particular speaker is superior to another w/O ever hearing either.

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
Well, that's what you get reading websites written by idiots.

·
Registered
30,819 Posts

Quote:

I guess you didn't read the entire remark....."In some opinions" prefaced the remark..I got the idea from an article written by another concerning the debate of different types of cone material entitled "Mother of Tone". Lots of other similar ideas have been voiced. My point was, do not dismiss one construction material over another.....Regardless of your credentials, I'll stand by what I said. I was relating a point of view held by some. As far as the comment about electrostatic, I was abviously in error....just as much as the people that say one particular speaker is superior to another w/O ever hearing either.

You have related a 'point of view' that is based on a lack of basic understanding of the physical principles involved. Repeating it does you no credit.

·
Registered
30,819 Posts
Linkwitz' speakers radiate from both sides and are dependant on the size/shape of the baffle as well as hefty EQ to reproduce bass. In other words, you do not have to have a closed box but you do need to deal with the front-rear cancellations in some way. The Orions are an alternative way.

·
Registered
RX-681 > Wharf Evo "5" MShort "1"
331 Posts
Cool, thanks Kal
Has Stereophile ever reviewed an open baffle design?

Is there a good resource on the web that talks about different drivers and materials? I'm curious about why I hear some people give Kevlar, for example, a bad rap and things like what the difference between say a ring radiator tweeter and dome tweeter are.

·
Registered
30,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehawk_OS /forum/post/0

Cool, thanks Kal
Has Stereophile ever reviewed an open baffle design?

Here are a few that use dynamic drivers:
http://www.stereophile.com/loudspeak...328/index.html
http://www.stereophile.com/floorloud...ver/index.html
http://www.stereophile.com/floorloud...acy/index.html

Also, here's an insightful interview with Linkwitz:
http://www.stereophile.com/interviews/503/index.html

Of course, more info is available on Linkwitz' website.

Quote:
Is there a good resource on the web that talks about different drivers and materials? I'm curious about why I hear some people give Kevlar, for example, a bad rap and things like what the difference between say a ring radiator tweeter and dome tweeter are.

I do not know, offhand, of a reliable and unbiased website for this.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.