AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One problem with UTV is that you can not use it for Cable or Antenna channels. Only DirecTV Satellite channels work.

Tivo has a stand-alone version that works with Satellite, Cable, and Local TV. But it does not support recording the actual source, that is needed for Dolby digital broadcasts. Why not? If it did, I would switch to a stand-alone unit in a flash. But to me, recording and playing a movie in Dolby-digital is more inportant.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
It can't record Dolby Digital because the DTV receiever sends the uncompressed signal to the TiVo which gets analog inputs and, therefore, cannot record dolby digital. There would be no way to get the source signal into the tivo unless it had a dtv tuner which would cost more and only be of use to so many people

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"It can't record Dolby Digital because the DTV receiever sends the uncompressed signal to the TiVo which gets analog inputs and, therefore, cannot record dolby digital."

I am not sure what you mean. Seems like the uncompressed signal should include Dolby Digital as well as the compressed signal. And if the Tivo gets uncompressed input, it should be able to replay/show an even better picture than UTV, since UTV input is compressed. I am sure I am missing something here.

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,874 Posts
I suspect it simply comes done to cost issues. In order to handle both DirecTV and cable/over the air signals, the box would either have to convert the cable/over the air signals to MPEG2 or convert the DirecTV MPEG2 signal to an uncompressed signal and store it like the cable/over the air signals (or a more complex playback system to support 2 different file formats would be needed. Handling digital audio gets tricky here too. They would also have to include the tuner hardware for both types of signals and the appropriate rear panel inputs for the cable/antenna and the satellite feed. All of this would make the device a lot more expensive than either the UltimateTV/DirecTivo or the standalone Tivo. Would I buy an UltimateTV or DirectTivo that would also handle cable TV and/or over the air antenna feeds? Definitely - in fact I'd replace all 4 of my UltimateTV's with such a device (assuming it offered at least all of the features that UltimateTV offers now). But would the average consumer be willing to pay extra for it? Probably not.

If the PVR market picks up, I suspect we'll see a device that will handle DirecTV, cable, over the air, and maybe even HDTV.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info.

It would be nice if there was a "standard" recordable format that supported Dolby Digital and undegraded picture quailty. Maybe there already is. Then we could separate the satellite box from the prv box. Anything that supported the "standard" could record and playback (display) with no loss of quality.

I agree that most people will only need one source for their TV. Satellite, Cable, or over the air.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Otto, Dolby Digital's highest bitrate is 448Kb/s, less than half the lowest rate used by TiVo to capture both audio and video. A Dolby Digital stream from DirecTv is usually around 384Kb/s for 5.1 channel audio. MPEG-2 stereo is probably encoded around 192Kb/s or so, so while it would increas the size a bit, it would not be that much of a difference. It would make things much more complicated as one would have to deal with audio sync problems, but it would not double the rate.

/carmi

·
Registered
101 Posts
Why do you even care? What does your local cable or broadcast channels have that you would want to record that you couldn't get on DirecTV?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.