AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Atlanta, there is no front speakers. But I am in bliss right now because I can actually hear the game instead of people who blab, on, and on, and on...

darius

·
Registered
124 Posts
I agree. It would be great if they would offer an additional full time 'sights and sounds' style audio feed that includes the stadium announcements. I can well do without some idiot repeating 'The ball only has to cross the plane of the goal line for a touchdown' twenty times each game.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you setup your speakers right, you can almost get rid of them!!

And I agree! Like I need them to tell me that the team wants to score to win the game, or that a turnover (in football) is not something a team wants to have happen...

·
Registered
611 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AMorrison
.... I can well do without some idiot repeating 'The ball only has to cross the plane of the goal line for a touchdown' twenty times each game.
Ditto...

UK Satellite soccer coverage has had this option for many years now

My favorite so far this year from Madden - think it was the Thursday night opener: he said "They need to avoid these third down and long situations... to do that they have to get more yards on first and second down"

He gets paid how much for this brilliant insight? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
17,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kjroddy
Ditto...

UK Satellite soccer coverage has had this option for many years now

My favorite so far this year from Madden - think it was the Thursday night opener: he said "They need to avoid these third down and long situations... to do that they have to get more yards on first and second down"

He gets paid how much for this brilliant insight? :rolleyes:
Madden makes me feel smart about football. He says things and I think "Wow, I knew that!"

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Say whatever you want about Madden, but he sounds like a GENIUS compared to some of these second, third and fourth tier announcers who hop on a point and just hammer that the entire game, no matter what the situation dictates.

Anybody who listened to the moral platitudes of Darryl Johnston during yesterday's Giants-Redskins game knows what I'm talking about. It was like listening to a preacher lecturing on morality for nearly four hours. Painful.

I hate it when the main game I want to watch has the B, C, D, E, F, or H Team covering it on any network. Sometimes it is sooooo painful to listen to them - especially on FOX. Their lower shelf talent, primarily the (cough) "analysts" (cough) are so bombastically piss-poor it makes you wonder how bad the auditions must have been for those that couldn't get the job.

·
Registered
182 Posts
We not only had to deal with Darryl Johnston, but also Mr Greer the Official who seemed to think he was the MC at the Emmys!

·
Registered
744 Posts
I feel the same way about droning announcers. Couldnt the broadcasters use the secondary audio channel for a "sights and sounds" of the game and then the people that want to listen to the announcers can.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sangs
Anybody who listened to the moral platitudes of Darryl Johnston during yesterday's Giants-Redskins game knows what I'm talking about. It was like listening to a preacher lecturing on morality for nearly four hours. Painful.

my favorite quote yesterday by the moose:

"Jeramy Shockey is the most athletic tight end in the NFL."

It saddens me when "professionals" are sucked into the hype. Maybe if Tony Gonzalez or Todd Heap made homophobic remarks they would be poplular too. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
226 Posts
I agree. I think that CSPAN has the best approach. CPAN turns on the video and audio and leaves it alone. I don't need people telling me what I just saw and heard either in sports or news coverage of a llive event.

BTW speaking of Madden check out his new "Bus".

www.mcicoach.com/coachmadden.html

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
In about 1980, NBC did a Jets-Dolphins game sans announcers. Just the crowd noise and PA, along with supers of down and distance.

It was was one the better non-listening experiences; but, alas, has not been repeated. Muting eliminates the crowd noise, which diminishes the viewing experience somewhat.

Madden and the equally blabbing Michaels -- who like so many other lead announcers is enamored with the sound of his own voice -- can and will be avoided in 5.1 by turning the center speaker all the way down; or if that is not enough, by detaching it.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Yeah, I've been pondering the detaching idea. The problem is (with ABC/ESPN broadcast) they don't put the damn mics on the players so you hardly hear the hits. You don't even hear the quarterback audible or whatnot.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Announcer-free NFL games were tried years ago, but they went over like a lead balloon. Pity.

It's was annoying listening to Joe and Paul going on last night when I was pretty they were wrong about a call not being reviewable.

The most priceless remark ever, I attribute to our own Matt Millen (though it could have been Bill Maas) Searching for an amusing euphemism to say that a Packer offensive lineman had a big butt, he expounded: "Everybody knows he's got the most expansive rectum in the NFL!"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.