AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering why $4000+ digital (LCD/DLP) TV sets need these tweaks to make the picture look its best. It is

a) The sets are tuned to look good when on display in stores and in a normal viewing room at home the picture needs adjustment.

b) Each TV is unique and therefore the “default†values set by the manufacturer may not be optimum.

c) The tweaks are just personal preference and what looks good to one guy may look poor to another.

d)Some other reason.

·
Registered
71 Posts
d...

IMO, the Sammys are not even 'set up' from the factory. If they are, the signal generator and/or signal distribution system used as a reference needs to be calibrated. On almost every set I've seen, the blacks are way too compressed. Lucky for us, several users have taken the time to figure out the tweaks needed to make the sets worth every penny Samsung asks for them.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mhz40, If what you say is true, then it's very sad.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Mike,

The sets are setup to display what 95% of the population believes to be a good image - blinding blue, incredibly sharp.

The other 5% of us (freaks who frequent home theater forums. :) ) want a accurate beautiful image - black detail, beautiful deep colors, accurate sharpness without losing detail or adding artifacts. We actually care about grayscale.

If you put a perfectly calibrated samsung against a factory one and asked people to pick the one they prefer from a random sample I would think the majority would pick the blinding blue one.

Do the same with us and not a one would pick the factory one.

So it has a lot to do with making the sale.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Totally agree with spidey. A lot of these marketing types have psychology backgrounds so the way these sets are tuned is based on studies of groups and individuals. A lot of it has to do with the contrast effect too. In a sea of different televisions the one that is brighter or somehow different in some respect will draw the consumers attention etc etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.