AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently cancelled my HD package with D* because it just started to annoy me that i have to pay an extra 11 bucks to view 5 stations in HD. I dont have to pay extra for my local stations to broadcast HDTV OTA, so why should i feel compelled to do so with my satellite?

The way i see it, technology is constantly improving and HDTV has been out long enough now that it should really start becoming the status quo, not something special that warrants additional costs.

Also, how are stations like HDNet going to continue to surive when the premise of that station is built around broadcasting nothing but HD - and that is the actual/only selling point? The time is coming fast where several stations now broadcast HD, but that is merely a "feature" or a matter-of-factness of these others stations but their focus is on some genre of specifc interest; not just a collage of everything and rehashed programs like what you see on HDNet. Sure, there are some good traits of HDNet, like the concerts in HD and DD 5.1, but the bulk of it is just too general and crosses too many genres.

In short, i'm tired of paying extra for something i should just outright expect in 2004 coming on 2005. I cancelled all my DirectTV for the time being. When they want me back, their basic programming package will include HD content. If podunk LR Arkansas can broadcast HD for free OTA, i think DirectTV can manage it too.

Azanon

· Registered
839 Posts
Well if you sign back up again, you can have the HD package free for six months. That's what we all did.

Mojo

· Registered
3,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Azanon
I recently cancelled my HD package with D* because it just started to annoy me that i have to pay an extra 11 bucks to view 5 stations in HD. I dont have to pay extra for my local stations to broadcast HDTV OTA, so why should i feel compelled to do so with my satellite?
Apples and Oranges. HD signals require 6 times the bandwidth of SD signals. Analog is a very lossy format, so when it is digitized and compressed, you can fit 6 analog channels in the space it takes for *1* HD channel.

So take your 5 satellite HD stations, and multiply by 6. You're getting the equivalent of 30 channels, which is like getting HBO, Cinemax, Starz, and a bunch of others for your $11.

If it's not worth it to you, that's one thing. But expecting that kind of bandwidth-intensive programming from a limited bandwidth satellite company for a very low cost is probably unreasonable in this day and age. Terrestrial broadcasters were given an extra 6Mhz of broadcast space during the transition period, which is why they can provide you an HD signal "for free."

· Registered
338 Posts
Isn't America great? We can whine about spending $11 for Sat HD when we waste more money per month on many other non essentials. That is the great thing about it, it is our choice. If you don't want ESPN HD or HDNet or DiscoveryHD or Sunday Ticket HD and you can get the networks HD OTA then you should walk away from D*. However there are many of us out there in other "Podunk" places that are glad to have any HD available to us. Thus getting CBS & NBC plus all of the other HD channels is worth it to me. It becomes more of a value when Fox and maybe others like TNT get added.

By the way, why not do as others have done, stop HD service and then sign up for the free six months?

· Premium Member
48,895 Posts
With Little Rock currently the 57th DMA, you might even find yourself included next summer when DirecTV adds HD LILs for about 500 stations.

Oops, I forgot!

Even if you do get them, DirecTV will probably charge you for your HD locals.

Never mind.

· Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That may be (it costs them a lot for the bandwidth), but by my calculator, 36.99 a month is still more money for them than $0.00. I know the power of my vote as a consumer, and I'm voting i pay only 36.99 with HD programming, or you (directtv) get nothing from me. Its win/win or lose/lose and they can choose.

· Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didnt know they are offering HD for 6 months for free. When i told them to disconnect the whole thing, they offered to give me a discount of $5/month for 6 months, but they didnt mention anything about offering me the HD package for free (though i had it at the time).

I may do that.

· Registered
5,056 Posts
NO! Don't do it through a CSR. Do it online. Wasting a CSR's time to lose them money on something that might be under the radar if done online can't be a good thing for future "deals".

· Registered
4,707 Posts
You want free channels, that's ridiculus. HD channels cost more and so you should pay more. If you wanted it free, look at it the other way, why should non-HD people buy a package that includes HD channels when they can't view them? And when local HD channels are launched it's fair to pay another $5 for them, because it costs more for both the station and D* to provide them.

· Registered
204 Posts
My HD channels are free. All twenty something of them.

· Registered
47 Posts
I'm cheap and actually agree with the poster.

Hence why i just use cable, and get the very same HD channels that satellite folk pay for - For free :)

I actually have no problem paying extra for a service such as Voom. But for a basic HD package that all cable companys deliver free of charge? Ain't gonna happen.

· Premium Member
1,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by turls
NO! Don't do it through a CSR. Do it online. Wasting a CSR's time to lose them money on something that might be under the radar if done online can't be a good thing for future "deals".
Just did it online in 90 seconds. Cancelled it, and when I went back in, the $0 for 6 months was there as the option.

This is why I love this forum!!! Thanks, team!

· Registered
3,828 Posts
I personally don't look at it as paying $10 for 5 HD channels. I look at it as paying $10 for 5 premium content, commercial-free channels (mostly). Ok, 3 mostly commercial-free and two with commercials. Still, that is why you pay for commercial-free tv ... to make up for the advertising that isn't sold.

Now, if DiscHD, HDNet, and HDNet movies start running actual commercials every 10 minutes or so, I'd dump them right quick.

· Registered
3,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by henry296
Why do you pay your cable company for SD channels like ESPN or HBO, they should be free to.
Now that's just outrageous! The guy or gal wasn't implying that all channels should be free. He just doesn't feel like paying 11 dollars for five channels that show a bunch of recycled crap 95% of the time. And to tell the truth, I don't blame the guy. I like the FREE OTA channels I rec b/c I don't have to pay anyone. I have Directv but I have SD. Watching the old tv shows and concerts over and over tends to get old really quick. The poster like myself probably watches most of his or her hd content on the OTA channels, which provide a varied amount of hd programming that tends to be interesting for the most part and it doesn't cost you anything if you have an antenna.

· Registered
3,653 Posts
Stupid agrument by the OP. I mean come on. Why is HBO $12? It should be free since I'm already paying $40!! HDNet and HDNet movies are commercial free. Discovery-HD nearly commercial free. Commercial free channels are paid for "by subscribers like you" just like Showtime or HBO.

My cable company charges $12.95 for "broadcast basic" which is just all the local analog channels. Want the HD versions? Oh, then you need at least the digital tier at $60 a month plus $11 a month for rental on an HD box. But the HD locals are "included" at no extra cost. Yea right.

Oh yea, Discovery-HD is $8 a month and ESPN-HD is $5 a month. Hmmmmm, or for cheaper then those 2 channels along I get the D* HD pak with 5 channels for $2 less.

Gee, which will I go with?

Stuff costs money. Fact of life my friend. ESPN spent millions to build out HD facilities. You think they are just going to eat all that cost?

Oh yea, Dish and Voom also charge for these channels as does cable. So I guess you're saying you won't pay anyone for any HD. Have at it, it's your choice!

· Registered
3,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bonscott87
Stupid agrument by the OP. I mean come on. Why is HBO $12? It should be free since I'm already paying $40!! HDNet and HDNet movies are commercial free. Discovery-HD nearly commercial free. Commercial free channels are paid for "by subscribers like you" just like Showtime or HBO.

My cable company charges $12.95 for "broadcast basic" which is just all the local analog channels. Want the HD versions? Oh, then you need at least the digital tier at $60 a month plus $11 a month for rental on an HD box. But the HD locals are "included" at no extra cost. Yea right.

Oh yea, Discovery-HD is $8 a month and ESPN-HD is $5 a month. Hmmmmm, or for cheaper then those 2 channels along I get the D* HD pak with 5 channels for $2 less.

Gee, which will I go with?

Stuff costs money. Fact of life my friend. ESPN spent millions to build out HD facilities. You think they are just going to eat all that cost?

Oh yea, Dish and Voom also charge for these channels as does cable. So I guess you're saying you won't pay anyone for any HD. Have at it, it's your choice!
Hey, take it easy on the OP. He was just stating that he did not want to pay for something that was a rehash of programs that have already been shown.

· Registered
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mangar
I'm cheap and actually agree with the poster.

Hence why i just use cable, and get the very same HD channels that satellite folk pay for - For free :)

I actually have no problem paying extra for a service such as Voom. But for a basic HD package that all cable companys deliver free of charge? Ain't gonna happen.
Most digital cable packages - which are required to get HD over cable - cost as much as D*'s TC + locals + HD package. You are not getting anything for free from your cable company, rather everyone who gets digital cable is getting charged for the HD channels.

· Registered
3,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Samdari
Most digital cable packages - which are required to get HD over cable
My cable company offers HD locals, ESPNHD, and INHD w/o getting their 'digital' package. Only the premiums (HBO-HD, SHO-HD) require digital service ... but then again ... so do the SD premiums.

· Registered
42 Posts
I love the logic of cable subs. "I get the HD channels for free!" No you don't. It's in the price of the package. And, with cable, those who don't get the HD channels are actually paying for them, but not receiving them. Same with the locals. Cable says D* charges extra for locals. What, you think cable is just GIVING you the channels free? Of course not, it's in the price of the package. That's why cable costs more. But when it comes down to it, I'd rather have the choice to either buy or not buy the extras. Compare it to cars. I can buy a new car loaded for $25K, or base model for $23K. What cable is doing is charging everyone $25K whether or not they get the options.

I'm not immune either. I pay my cable company $47 for internet access just so new customers can get it for $29.99 for the first 6 months.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.